Need amp suggestions for around $1000 or less new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need amp suggestions for around $1000 or less new

My little blackstar died on me so I need a new amp. I’m leaning toward a 1x12 combo or head with a 1x12 cab. I just need a good clean and a good heavy distorted tone. An effects loops would be good as well. So far my main contenders are.
    PRS MT15 with a 1x12
    Orange Brent Hinds or rocker terror with a 1x12 cab
    Fender bassbreaker 30r
    The only one of these I have actually played is the MT15. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Just keep in mind I have to go new to use my store credit.

Re: Need amp suggestions for around $1000 or less new

used Fender Twin Reverb...the king of clean...

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
      Hmm, didn’t read last sentence, amiright? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        Hmm, didn’t read last sentence, amiright? ;-)
        Righto...that is why you am a professional, really...never miss...
        Also, the twin is a 2X12..strike two...one more and I be gone...

Comment

Sorry to hear that. RIP tiny Blackstar. What happened to it that turned it non-repairable?

Haven't played the MT15 yet but did the other two on your list.

Tiny Limos have excellent texture that sits in the mix like a boss but also have a little sponginess at every note start. It depends on your reference but if you really liked the Blackstar it has much more edge than the Limos have. Good stuff but check them out in person before buying.

The Fender Bassbreaker is an awesome combo for what it is but with more options and a littlebit more of everything, if you crank the dime cap higher a little you can get a Hotrod Deluxe. Again it depends on your reference but its clean sound is among the bests I've recorded in a long time:

What made it amazing is the range of clean sounds. Cutting EQ back it was jazzy on the video but during setup it did everything well from country spank through pedal friendly to textbook funky neutral. It is a really impressive amp.

What else to check for... Maybe a 5150 III LBX can be interesting to you. I'm not dying for the cleans but you can raze planets with the drive sound.

Also (to my biggest surprise too) one of the nicest recent small amps I had the luck to check was a Marshall Origin 20 head. In an A/B test (and an attenuator) I think it would be extremely difficult to tell the difference between this one and a classic Marshall head. Did not try it with pedals but folks say it is sparkling there.
          Last edited by NecroPolo; 06-25-2019, 04:45 AM.
          Wackor
          Ørdøg
          NecroPolo
          Diabolus in Musica
          SIDrip Alliance
          Book of Shadows
          RKH

Comment

I use an old Rocker 30 combo for my small amp needs so I would have to recommend that.
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Egnater, Tweaker 40 or Rebel 30
              sigpic
              Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

I would suggest looking for a used EVH 1-12 combo, but since you have to use store credit, at the one's you listed the only choices? If so, I would probably say the MT15 although I haven't tried any of them, it just seems like the most versatile and the big bottles are a bonus for me. Can the store order anything? Guess I need more info to make an educated suggestion.

Comment

Traynor YCV50 Blue combo w/1x12 extension cab should be roughly in that price range used and does what you want. (The newer model is covered in black, but basically the same amp.) The EL34s and V30s will give you nice cleans and distorted sounds, it has an effects loop. The gain channel doesn't quite get into high gain territory until you kick on the boost . . . you might need a pedal for super brutal stuff.

Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                    I would suggest looking for a used EVH 1-12 combo, but since you have to use store credit, at the one's you listed the only choices? If so, I would probably say the MT15 although I haven't tried any of them, it just seems like the most versatile and the big bottles are a bonus for me. Can the store order anything? Guess I need more info to make an educated suggestion.
                    The store credit is with Sweetwater. So pretty much anything they carry that’s around that range. If I had it to spend I’d like to try one of the smaller Friedman’s. I have even thought about a helix LT but I’m not good with all the programming and what not.

Comment

Sweetwater does kind of open up the possiblities! I do hear good things about the Egnater Rebel 30 Mk II, lots of stuff in that price range. Still thinking the MT15 and cab may be the best complete setup for ~$1K.

Comment

Originally posted by man-in-moon View Post
                        ...... Just keep in mind I have to go new to use my store credit.
                        Originally posted by justFred View Post
                        Originally posted by devastone View Post
                        I would suggest looking for a used EVH 1-12 combo, but since you have to use store credit............

Comment

Whoop. Reading fail on my part.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
                            Yes, I did read it, and if you read the end of my statement you will see that. FWIW, the 5150 1-12 combo is $1299 at Sweetwater and it checks all his boxes and then some. And, if you know anything about Sweetwater, a phone call might get the difference even closer.

Comment

if you liked your Blackstar then get another one...much easier picking up where you left off than starting all over again...

Comment

Working...
                              X