Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original 1960s JTM45 vs. a 1990s re-issue JTM45

Friends of the Marshall Fan Club.

Is there anyone who has knowledge of both these amps ?
    I can get a 1990's RI 2245 JTM45.

Does anyone know how these might differ in circuitry, valves/tubes, and, and, and, from the real deal from the 60's ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	greg jtm45 SD Forum.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	5851875
    The actual amp in question.

Any info will be great.
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Re: Original 1960s JTM45 vs. a 1990s re-issue JTM45

i dont remember details but there are quite a few differences, not bad amps though

Comment

The main difference is higher value filter caps. There are some minor differences such as the values of the mixer resistors and such. I was surprised to learn that many 60's 45's used 100pf bright caps instead of 500pf. Some of these differences are not bad from a functional perspective, though. As Jeremy wrote not bad amps.

Some of the important bits are close to 66-67 JTM, such as the Drake transformers and the large amount of negative feedback.

The reissue uses 5881s instead of KT66s but this is easily changed. Back in the 90's people were pulling the 5881s and putting in KT66s. The Sovtek "5881" during the 90s is actually more like a 6L6GC than a 50's 5881. Today's current production reissues of real 5881s might be interesting because the earliest 45's used real 5881s before they switched to kT66s.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        i dont remember details but there are quite a few differences, not bad amps though
        Thanks Jeremy
        Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
          The main difference is higher value filter caps.
          There are some minor differences such as the values of the mixer resistors and such.
          I was surprised to learn that many 60's 45's used 100pf bright caps instead of 500pf.
          Some of these differences are not bad from a functional perspective, though. As Jeremy wrote not bad amps.

Some of the important bits are close to 66-67 JTM, such as the Drake transformers and the large amount of negative feedback.

The reissue uses 5881s instead of KT66s but this is easily changed.
          Back in the 90's people were pulling the 5881s and putting in KT66s.
          The Sovtek "5881" during the 90s is actually more like a 6L6GC than a 50's 5881.
          Today's current production reissues of real 5881s might be interesting because the earliest 45's used real 5881s before they switched to kT66s.
          In laymen's terms, what would higher filter caps do to the tone of those very early JTM45s?

How will a 100pf bright caps differ from a 500pf then ?

According to you, how might a 90's RI differ in tone and feel to the real deal 1960's JTM45 ?

Comment

There are a few vids about of comparisons. The new one have a few other changes that make them not sound like the originals if you are interested in vintage accuracy.
            There was a RI just recently I think where they got things like transformers and chokes made to original spec - this version sounded much closer, especially paired with an accurate speaker as well. Of course the cost was huge too.

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
              In laymen's terms, what would higher filter caps do to the tone of those very early JTM45s?

How will a 100pf bright caps differ from a 500pf then ?

According to you, how might a 90's RI differ in tone and feel to the real deal 1960's JTM45 ?
              Filtering affects the feel of the amp, more than it does the sound. I have my JTM45 with original filter values and it is not spongy or flubby at all. I am using a 5AR4 rectifier.

A 100 pf makes the volume taper and the gain sensitivity more bassman and less plexi. 500 pf is the correct value according to Ken Bran, but apparently the 100 pf cap was also used. The reissue uses 480 pf because it is more common today.

The use of higher filtering in an off the shelf production line amp makes sense because the affect on the sound and feel is minimal but avoids possible problems of hums ghosting and so forth.

One the the unexpected things about my JTM45 experience is the importance of the rectifier. You can completely change the personality of the amp by rolling in different rectifier tubes or even using a solid state plug in rectifier. The rectifier can override all the above subtleties of tone and feel and differences between an original and a reissue. A rectifier that supplies a lower voltage and more dynamic current supply will change the headroom of the amp and also the amount of sag when the amp is run loud. 5881s will have less head room than KT66s and a different bias point for the sound you want. Obviously, different rectifiers affect the bias as well.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                There are a few vids about of comparisons. The new one have a few other changes that make them not sound like the originals if you are interested in vintage accuracy.
                There was a RI just recently I think where they got things like transformers and chokes made to original spec - this version sounded much closer, especially paired with an accurate speaker as well. Of course the cost was huge too.
                YUP, i deff want it so sound as vintage correct as humanly possible.
                Can a GOOD amp tech do the necessary changes (exlc. the transformers off course) if asked to do so ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                  Filtering affects the feel of the amp, more than it does the sound. I have my JTM45 with original filter values and it is not spongy or flubby at all. I am using a 5AR4 rectifier.

A 100 pf makes the volume taper and the gain sensitivity more bassman and less plexi. 500 pf is the correct value according to Ken Bran, but apparently the 100 pf cap was also used. The reissue uses 480 pf because it is more common today.

The use of higher filtering in an off the shelf production line amp makes sense because the affect on the sound and feel is minimal but avoids possible problems of hums ghosting and so forth.

One the the unexpected things about my JTM45 experience is the importance of the rectifier. You can completely change the personality of the amp by rolling in different rectifier tubes or even using a solid state plug in rectifier. The rectifier can override all the above subtleties of tone and feel and differences between an original and a reissue. A rectifier that supplies a lower voltage and more dynamic current supply will change the headroom of the amp and also the amount of sag when the amp is run loud. 5881s will have less head room than KT66s and a different bias point for the sound you want. Obviously, different rectifiers affect the bias as well.
                  GREAT info LPB . . . thank you very much !

Comment

Yes and yes and... yesss.

I have one of those 90's JTM45 reissues (1996).

In 2003, I followed these instructions to get mine to original spec, but I also purchased a PTP kit.

These are the no-BS, real-deal, amp modding notes to make your amp a true mid-60s circuit JTM45...dig it:

http://raw-sewage.net/jtm45ri_mods.html

(note: my amp is no longer a JTM45, but a '68 plexi circuit)

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                      Yes and yes and... yesss.

I have one of those 90's JTM45 reissues (1996).

In 2003, I followed these instructions to get mine to original spec, but I also purchased a PTP kit.

These are the no-BS, real-deal, amp modding notes to make your amp a true mid-60s circuit JTM45...dig it:

http://raw-sewage.net/jtm45ri_mods.html

(note: my amp is no longer a JTM45, but a '68 plexi circuit)
                      Thank you very much for the info LLL.
                      Gonna look into it right now.

Comment

Thank you very much for the info LLL.
                        Gonna look into it right now.
                        BTW, I would recommend the new make "Sozo" capacitors over Mallory.

Comment

BTW, I would recommend the new make "Sozo" capacitors over Mallory.
                          Any reason in particular for this option LLL ?

Comment

Any reason in particular for this option LLL ?
                            I originally put Mallorys in during my JTM45 mod phase... when I modded again for '68 plexi (not a whole lot of changes) I replaced all Mallorys (except presence pot cap) with Sozo (new make).

I think they're clearer-sounding... but not like Sprague Orange Drops.

Comment

I originally put Mallorys in during my JTM45 mod phase... when I modded again for '68 plexi (not a whole lot of changes) I replaced all Mallorys (except presence pot cap) with Sozo (new make).

I think they're clearer-sounding... but not like Sprague Orange Drops.
                              Understood . . . thank you very much !

Comment

Working...
                              X