Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS MT15 or best variant?

Good day players.
    I’m wanting to get a good lunchbox amp head and I’m looking at the prs MT15 and the EVH lbx2. Does anyone have either one and which one is the better head? Quality and sound are of course big factors. I need a good clean channel and a good high gain.
    Thanks in advance.
    And the Meek shall inherit the Earth

Re: PRS MT15 or best variant?

Mesa Mini-Rec is an awesome lunchbox.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I own the PRS MT15. I love it but the gain channel is crazy loud. It’s basically a 50 watt amp that’s scaled down to 15-18 watts by using a lower output transformer. I saw the interview with PRS engineer who built it and he said he can turn it into a 50 watt amp in 30 min by replacing the transformer. 6L6 power tubes sound huge.

With gain master volume at 9-10 o’clock it’s tearing your head off. The clean channel is very nice and has a gain boost pull knob. I usually run that on because I don’t need huge headroom and pristine cleans then with an overdrive I can get more breakup and classic rock type stuff. The gain channel is great for hard rock and metal. Lots of lows and low mids. I run through a 212 closed back cab with Celestion 75’s and have to lower the bass and mids down to 10-11o’clock.

Killer amp.

Comment

I have an EVH LBX II. It's a good amp, but it's not perfect. It doesn't sound its best at low bedroom volumes. It doesn't sound bad if you back off the presence at those levels, but it does get kinda fizzy if you're not careful. It doesn't sound its best at loud metal band practice volumes either. It gets kinda honky and the low-end suffers. It doesn't sound bad, but it doesn't have the thump of a 50 or 100W head once you start turning it up.

At moderate volumes, it sounds killer, though, especially through a 4x12. I'd say it's a good recording amp thatn can kinda sorta pull off band and/or bedroom practice, but they're not its strenghts.

I've read the MT15 does better at loud volumes. I have not tried one in person, though.

Comment

Originally posted by t1r12003 View Post
          I own the PRS MT15. I love it but the gain channel is crazy loud. It’s basically a 50 watt amp that’s scaled down to 15-18 watts by using a lower output transformer. I saw the interview with PRS engineer who built it and he said he can turn it into a 50 watt amp in 30 min by replacing the transformer. 6L6 power tubes sound huge.

With gain master volume at 9-10 o’clock it’s tearing your head off. The clean channel is very nice and has a gain boost pull knob. I usually run that on because I don’t need huge headroom and pristine cleans then with an overdrive I can get more breakup and classic rock type stuff. The gain channel is great for hard rock and metal. Lots of lows and low mids. I run through a 212 closed back cab with Celestion 75’s and have to lower the bass and mids down to 10-11o’clock.

Killer amp.
          Thanks for the detailed reply. I keep hearing good things about The MT15. I’m just needing a good clean and the ability to go to headcrusher mode in one package. I haven’t bought an amp in many years.

Comment

Rex,Thanks for your reply and duly noted.
            Last edited by Deathviper1777; 07-12-2019, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Sure any time. PM me with any questions. I also have an Ampeg VH140C 212 combo. Even though it's solid state, the clean is like a Roland Jazz Chorus and gain is off the hook. Lots of metal guys love it because with solid state you get the instant cutoff of the notes like having a noise gate set high. I never would have thought I'd like it but it kills. You can find them used for $300-$400.

Comment

Oh, just realized you started the thread with lunchbox size head. Well, food for thought anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathviper1777 View Post
                  Thanks for the detailed reply. I keep hearing good things about The MT15. I’m just needing a good clean and the ability to go to headcrusher mode in one package. I haven’t bought an amp in many years.
                  Have a PRS MT 15 and absolutely LOVE mine. Will do exactly what you are describing better than anything else i know of. My old Mesa Boogie DC 5 may be up for sale soon as i like both the clean and crunch tones of the MT 15 better. It's a BEAST. I also have no problem getting decent very low volume tones with mine even at full power. Yes the volume is touchy at the bottom but can get some really good tones. Did this at an absolute whisper volume so--.
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                  X