No announcement yet.

EVH, Friedman, confusion. Your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH, Friedman, confusion. Your opinion?

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some thoughts from anyone who may have owned/tried the EVH 5150 iii 100 watt and Friedman BE-50 Deluxe (or 100, even). I realize how different the two are and that it comes down mostly to which direction one would want to go but let me present where I'm at and see if you have any opinion/advice.

Exhibit A: I mostly play metal, not current so much but not limited to 80's either. Black Label, Down, Killswitch, Morbid Angel, Carcass, etc. If it sounds mean, I'll probably enjoy it to some extent. I've owned the EVH 50 watt and just got the 100 watt stealth yesterday. I can say that I do love it but I already own some other amps that are in the ballpark (modded 5150 and modded 5152), or right next door, and realized that after playing it for a while. While definitely different, the Peavey's sound phenomenal to me and do metal very well, as proven, so I'm not completely sold on the stealth being different enough to warrant the price when I could put that money (and quite a bit more...) toward the Friedman. I keep hearing about the Friedman being something to behold. Whatever that means. Haha

B: I also have a JCM800 and attenuator to be able to get the massive tone from it, so there's that. The clean channel would be huge since it's a multi-channel amp but the stealth's clean sounds great to me, I don't use it a ton and I'm pretty easy to please.

Not asking for technical differences, just would love to hear what you'd do in this scenario. I intend on selling a 5150 (can NOT decide which yet....) if I keep the stealth or potentially the JCM if I get the Friedman. Any opinions? Which would be the bigger step forward if you will? Be gentle, I'm not in an area where I am able to try amps before I buy them, it's a very small town in the southern US so I have to rely on returns, YouTube and you all. Be as detailed or keep it as simple as you see fit, though I'd prefer some insight! I clearly don't need another amp but none of us do probably. It's a sickness.

Thanks!

Re: EVH, Friedman, confusion. Your opinion?

EVH amps are made in Mexico with low budget parts & labor.
    Friedmans are hand-wired in USA with better than average parts.

You get what you pay for.
    I never heard or played an EVH product i had to have.
    Last edited by JMP/HBE; 07-17-2019, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Nice breakdown OP. The detail is appreciated.

Personally I'd get the Friedman, keep the modded 5150 and if I had to sell one I'd sell the 5152 and keep the JCM800. the reason I'd keep the 5150 is because as you said it does the music we play justice to a high degree and the EVH version may sound too similar whilst not quite being exactly there to warrant getting it. It's hard to replace a JCM800 with just any other amp but I may actually let it go in favour of the Friedman since they're like the perfected version of that head in particular. Perhaps, maybe lol. Steve Stevens explained this in his signature Friedman amp video. I was super impressed!! It's all subjective at the end of the day but on the flip side, whichever direction you go, you will not be disappointed and you certainly won't be bored with all those great heads at your fingertips!

Comment

Thanks, both of you!

Originally posted by RolanTHUNDER View Post
        Personally I'd get the Friedman, keep the modded 5150 and if I had to sell one I'd sell the 5152 and keep the JCM800. the reason I'd keep the 5150 is because as you said it does the music we play justice to a high degree and the EVH version may sound too similar whilst not quite being exactly there to warrant getting it. It's hard to replace a JCM800 with just any other amp but I may actually let it go in favour of the Friedman since they're like the perfected version of that head in particular. Perhaps, maybe lol. Steve Stevens explained this in his signature Friedman amp video. I was super impressed!! It's all subjective at the end of the day but on the flip side, whichever direction you go, you will not be disappointed and you certainly won't be bored with all those great heads at your fingertips!
        That's sort of where I am on it, all that you said. I'll have to pay to return the Stealth but $70 shipping to try it out isn't the end of the world. It really does sound great, I don't know if I've conveyed that properly, but having so much of a similar thing doesn't feel productive to expanding my sound possibilities. Any idea what a Cameron modded 5152 might be worth?

How does the Friedman sound before being boosted? Would it be difficult to get in to Down or Morbid Angel (who used 900's pushed) territory? Can anyone vouch, in person? I'm sure, with boosts, but how far does it go without?
        Last edited by Semetery; 07-17-2019, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X