banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I Did some Re-Capping This Weekend...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I Did some Re-Capping This Weekend...

So I bought this Bassman 50 a few weeks ago for a song!!! When I got it home it sounded okay but not great, kinda like it was biased too cold? So I opened it up to find that the amplifier was in 100% original condition, & pretty much immediately realized what the issue was, all those old capacitors!!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	A9728D04-82A2-49AB-80E8-F6437C26108C.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	5852529Click image for larger version

Name:	DD3F90A0-E1AB-4468-AB42-A98769ABD838.jpg
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	5852530
    Since I had so little money into it I figured I’d give re-capping it a shot. So I figured out what I’d needed, ordered some new caps & resistors, then got to work....
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Re: So I Did some Re-Capping This Weekend...

Name:	0C585688-D011-4BF8-B336-E52AEE4C19D2.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	5816645Click image for larger version

Name:	44416ED4-605C-449A-BE8D-04916983598D.jpg
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	5816646As you can see they were pretty far gone!!!
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

So, how does it sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Name:	84EE7BB5-78C7-41B2-87A6-B582746AF764.jpg
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	5816647Click image for larger version

Name:	65548C6B-F04A-45FC-B22F-BD96814765D8.jpg
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	5816648Click image for larger version

Name:	B71E3354-00A0-41B6-8308-827DBA6A5F9F.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	5816649

Now here she is with some new stuff, F&T for filters, Sprague, a couple Mallory 150’s, SOZO Mustards, & Orange Drop 716 series capacitors....

I’ve got to say I was mostly concerned with safety when I started this project but she’s much happier now & it sounds soooo much better!!! While I was in there I figured that I’d also change the screen grid resistors because the originals were looking a little toasty.LOL, my only real screw up was in this area...

Apparently I ordered the wrong parts? I also quickly found out that there’s a big difference between a 470ohm resistor & a 470K resistor!!! Like 1000X the resistance so it sounded fantastic... for a 5W amp!!! After digging through my bag of tricks I was able to find a couple 3W 470ohm metal oxide resistors to use in they’re stead. They might not be Carbon Comp but I think they sound great & they certainly work better than the carbon comp 470K’s!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jimilee View Post
          So, how does it sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I think it sounds phenomenal, especially as far as Bassman 50’s go!!! They can be pretty brittle & thin sounding on the bright CH as well as a little too muddy on CH 1, however jumping the CH’s together will usually get you a pretty decent clean - mild breakup tone that works great for a pedal platform.

Here even though I didn’t really alter the circuit too much it does seem to have more midrange & cut than before. Of course that also could be attributed to the fact that it was leaking voltage like crazy & it isn’t anymore? Personally I like to think it was something about me that made it so much better, LOL....

Comment

Why did the lead dress on 60's & 70's Fender amps always resemble a rats nest ?
            Did Fender not have talented builders or were they in a hurry or what ?

By contrast the Marshall JMP's looked & sound so much better.

Comment

Well done! I'm glad to see another old Bassman that is ready to rock again.
              "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

Looks good.
                Curious why you changed all the signal caps, most of those are still fine after all these years, I completely agree with changing the doghouse caps.
                Playing:
                Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
                Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
                Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
                Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Comment

i was wondering the same thing

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike Blues View Post
                    Looks good.
                    Curious why you changed all the signal caps, most of those are still fine after all these years, I completely agree with changing the doghouse caps.
                    Mostly just to see if I could...

Originally I was just going to do the filters and white Mallory Electrolytic’s as those are your usual trouble spots, but I already had the SOZO’s from another project so buying a few Orange Drops & Mallory 150’s didn’t seem like a big deal?

I’d never done an entire capacitor overhaul before & now I have!!!

Comment

Gotcha. Probably changed stuff you didn't need to is all.
                      Different strokes...
                      Playing:
                      Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
                      Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
                      Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
                      Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                        Why did the lead dress on 60's & 70's Fender amps always resemble a rats nest ?
                        Did Fender not have talented builders or were they in a hurry or what ?

By contrast the Marshall JMP's looked & sound so much better.
                        Yeah the original wiring looks like they just dropped all the parts in there and soldered where it landed.

Comment

Working...
                        X