Micro Dark/Building a cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro Dark/Building a cab

My wife's cousin wanted to get into electric guitar, and I wound up selling him a great little Peavey starter set (my old USA Predator and a Vypyr 15) for $150. The following day, I impulse bought an Orange Micro Dark with matching 8" cabinet. Seemed like it'd be a good replacement for the Vypyr, since I've been leaning on a PODxt for most of my tones, it would be easier to run into the FX return.

Turns out, this laughably small hybrid amp is awesome. The Micro Dark is now my main tone, and I'm using the POD in the loop for EQ, and effects. I need a bigger cabinet, and think I'd like to build a 2X12.

I'm planning on using wood from an old church pew, and using the red upholstery from the bench to cover it. Kinda goofy, but I think it'll look cool and different. I know people typically use plywood, but I already have this, plus it's probably 50 or 60 years old, and seems like much better quality than I could buy.

Is there going to be any benefit to doing fancy joints, or will screwed & glued tight butt joints work fine? Most of the guides say start off with an open back for simplicity's sake, but would it be that much more difficult to do a half-sealed with a removable section?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Micro Dark/Building a cab

If you make it tight enough to never rattle, it will sound fine. Look into a pair of Cannabis Rex speakers...they're ridonculous with the MD.
    - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Re: Micro Dark/Building a cab

Wound up getting a deal on an Eminence Legend. Gonna start there and maybe build another cab for a Cannabis Rex.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
      X