• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forgotten Amps

knew a few guys with mode four heads but theyve all blown up by this point

Comment

What about the line 6/bogner ones?

I remember trying the MA series and hating it! Preamp sound was so... Rough. Unrefined.
      Perhaps if you cranked the snot out of it the el34s would smooth it out leaving you with a perfectly buzzy tone...

I remember when fender came out with the Cyber Twin and thought it was the future of amps.
      But the only hybrid fender I see that really caught on was the super champ XD/x2. The deluxe VM they made that was like a bigger super champ never even took off. I heard it had QC issues?

Comment

What about the line 6/bogner ones?

I remember trying the MA series and hating it! Preamp sound was so... Rough. Unrefined.
        Perhaps if you cranked the snot out of it the el34s would smooth it out leaving you with a perfectly buzzy tone...

I remember when fender came out with the Cyber Twin and thought it was the future of amps.
        But the only hybrid fender I see that really caught on was the super champ XD/x2. The deluxe VM they made that was like a bigger super champ never even took off. I heard it had QC issues?

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
          DOn't get me wrong, for a rehearsal space, it makes A LOT of sense to have lots of Solid State gear l
          Most of the rehearsal studios in NYC have JCM 800s or 900s.

I don’t mind solid state or modeling amps, I use a Code 100 combo. But that MG amp was just cheesy sounding. Even with all the effects turned off it was brittle sounding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
            How about the only decent Crate amp I can recall, the Blue Voodoo. -but that's because it was designed by Ampeg and probably can be considered a rebadged Ampeg after Crate/St Louis Music Bought them in the 80s..

Also, while Marty Friedman used them for the power section of his live rig, to my knowledge it was never his "A" amp for the pre section or used in the studio. -still though pretty good amp.
            Sammy Hagar had a signature Red Voodoo, which as far as I ever knew was just a rebadged BV in red. A friend of mine had a blue voodoo back in the day and it was a great sounding amp. It was nothing like the crappy solid state Crate combos I had heard. Another friend of mine still has a Crate Palomino tube combo. At one point Billy Gibbons was messing around with those in the ZZ Top backline.
            "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

By coincidence I was googling Bogner/Line 6 yesterday (the primary result wa someone on this forum loving it.)

Still weird the MA series got concluded with little fanfare, but I guess there wasn’t any lament. I started listening to Segeborn videos on YouTube, he has the MG100 sounding fine (but if I had to be picky, it does lack bass and sound a bit fizzy. Could be his EQ but no other amp he dials in sounds that bass-less.)
              Originally posted by King Buzzo
              I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Originally posted by Silence Kid View Post
                By coincidence I was googling Bogner/Line 6 yesterday (the primary result wa someone on this forum loving it.)

Still weird the MA series got concluded with little fanfare, but I guess there wasn’t any lament. I started listening to Segeborn videos on YouTube, he has the MG100 sounding fine (but if I had to be picky, it does lack bass and sound a bit fizzy. Could be his EQ but no other amp he dials in sounds that bass-less.)
                I'm the one who loves the Spidervalve.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

The Spider Valves aren't terrible, for a Spider. The other one that's a forgotten amp is the Bogner Alchemist, which is what Bogner got out of their joint venture with Line 6.
                  The Mode Four, Metalhead, and Warp 7 all came out around the end of the Nu-Metal era, and their sales suffered for it. I've heard good things about the Warp 7, bit never tried it or the Metalhead. The Mode Four was okay, just a higher powered AVT series, but the 4×12 cabs were pretty good.
                  Last edited by allbutromeo; 10-11-2019, 06:06 PM.
                  sigpic
                  Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

The Marshall MAs were pretty hopeless. I remember those. MIC tube Marshalls for the price of a used DSL/TSL. Unreliable and flimsy.

Also I wouldn't call the following amps forgotten, but unknown maybe? The Marshall Astoria combos. Those things sound freaking great IMO yet there's not a word about them anywhere.

Egnaters are so irrelevant these days. No new releases, news, endorsements or anything at all, really. Nothing. Makes me wonder if they even exist at all at this point.

Traynors were great amps in the 90s that nobody knows about these days.

Ibanez had a tube head with a built-in Tubescreamer. Thermion I think it was called?

Blackheart had some sweet tiny combos in the past decade.

And whatever that Dime solid-state head was. Was it a Dean technically?
                    Last edited by Diego; 10-11-2019, 06:42 PM.
                    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

My first tube amp could have been way worse than the Blackheart 5w I had

Were they not related to crate amps
                      Crate v5 and v33 or whatever they were called were pretty bad budget tube amps that I remember all my small local music stores not being able to get rid of

Comment

Does anyone still talk about the epi valve Jr?

Comment

So strange, I almost included the Tubsecreamer + Ibanez and the little Epiphone valve thing but they’re ‘post-internet’ and meld into a lot of fads of the month for me. Then again the MA ought to be in that boat too but they’re were really quickly forgotten.
                          Originally posted by King Buzzo
                          I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                            Does anyone still talk about the epi valve Jr?
                            I think alot of people bought them to mod because its such a simple circuit. I actually found a demounted chassis in my garage that i have no idea where it came from, maybe i was drunk and bought it on ebay to mod but i honestly cant remember buying or recieving it.
                            sigpic
                            Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
                            Dunlop Crybaby
                            MXR Custom Comp
                            GFS Twin Overdrive
                            Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
                            Blackstar HT-DISTX
                            Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

Well, almost every ad in late 70s Guitar Player magazines had a product that is made by a company that isn't around. Fender usually had the back cover, and those models aren't made anymore. But it is a blast to see all the ads inside with amps and effects touted as the best thing ever.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                                I had a Vox VT80+. That has a great Marshall patch. Several actually.

That was the main patch I used most of the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Well, the ones I've tried where on the cheaper side with small speaker.
                                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                                Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Working...
                                X