banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a good quiet bedroom practice amp for metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good quiet bedroom practice amp for metal?

Is there anything that's like a more up-to-date Roland Micro Cube or Vypyr 15 that does an 808-boosted 5150-ish kinda tone as well as a nice chorusy clean with some on-board delay? Affordable is better since I just want to noodle around at night from time to time. Small and compact is also desirable, and, most importantly, must sound nice and big at low volumes.

What options are there?

Re: What's a good quiet bedroom practice amp for metal?

What don't you like about the Microcube for that application?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

It's a good amp, really, but I'd prefer it to have a full-on BMT tone stack. I'm a tweaker, lol.

It's mostly that, but its technology is not really the latest either, is it? After all, it's kinda like a tiny computer with a speaker, lol. I'm sure there's something "better" out now, isn't there?

It's just me researching what other options are out there now.

Comment

I bought one in 2005 when I got back into playing. I still find it very useful for the purpose that you describe.
        I'm sure that there is newer stuff out with more knobs. But to me that doesn't necessarily make it better, especially if it's priced a lot higher.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Throw an EQ in the loop or in front of the Micro Dark with the 8” speaker.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

What's a good quiet bedroom practice amp for metal?

Zoom MS-50G into any clean low powered amp or personal monitor as a mini- PA.

Comment

You're welcome.

Comment

Any modeling pedal into the clean channel of the Roland

Or headphone of the modeling pedal onto your head
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I’ve got some serious GAS for a Katana. And based on the volumes I play at home now with kids and the reduced frequency of playing out, the Katana is the thing I should probably be GASsing for most, rather than amps and pedals intended for gig volumes.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I’ve never heard quiet metal. I’d get a Scarlett solo, plug it into your usb port and go to town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yamaha THR10X

Has a few high-gain models, plus clean and bass presets. It's cheap, small, portable (can run on batteries but doesn't have to), maxes out at loud TV volume, has a built-in tuner and effects. Also has line-in and headphone out.

Unless you're willing to spend enough to get a serious modeler (plus speakers if headphones aren't your thing) or want something that's also capable of high volume, the THR10X is a great deal.

I haven't tried a Katana though. Try one of those as well.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

I second the Vox amplug, it is the simplist and cheapest fix. And they sound quite good.

I also say go buy a Katana.
                        Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                          I second the Vox amplug, it is the simplist and cheapest fix. And they sound quite good.

I also say go buy a Katana.
                          I third this. To avoid breaking out protools, I've done plenty of simple hotel recording using a Vox Amplug Lead, and AC30, they sound pretty damn great for what they are.

Buy the Metal version for like 30.00 bucks
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Perhaps the Yamaha THR10x amp will work for metal at low volumes.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Friend was over with a THX last weekend. They do sound freaking amazing....
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X