banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost screwed up royally new glass does WONDERS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost screwed up royally new glass does WONDERS!

When I traded for my Mesa Boogie DC 5 head I had thought I had replaced the tubes. Turns out I did NOT and while I pulled the chassis and cleaned all the switches and controls for what ever reason I did not retube the amp at that time! Had a lot going on but still why I didn't is the? That is because the absolute first thing i always do with a used amp that is new to me is at the least pull the tubes and have a look.
    Well have had it up for sale locally and because it has been setting up for a while went through it yesterday. When I did too a hard look at the tubes and found that that were all the stock Mesa labeled tubes. Doubt this amp has ever had a set of tubes in it since it was new in the mid 1990's .
    So dropped a new pair of Ruby STR 6L6's that I had on hand from when I bought a matched quad for the also fixed bias Mesa .50 cal plus I had then rolled in some preamp tubes and WOW! Amp came to life and is now off the market!!
    Just about dumped this one because I found it to be cold and lackluster and could never bond with it but was thinking I had retubed it as soon as I got in NOPE! DUH!!!
    Still think the PRS MT 15 sounds a little better in the cleans and the ultra SMOOTH fat touch sensitive high gain solo voice is just the best I have ever played on any amp ever but the DC 5 is MUCH more versatile and does the mid gain stuff VERY well. The MT 15 is just a flame thrower plus is impossible to control at low volumes so this amp is suddenly a real keeper now!!
    Can not believe I was this stupid and almost let this amp go!!
    Last edited by Ascension; 12-19-2019, 08:41 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Re: Almost screwed up royally new glass does WONDERS!

Yes! That's a great story.
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Ya big dummy!
      Good thing you noticed!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSnMettle View Post
        Ya big dummy!
        Good thing you noticed!
        Yep real DUH moment! I still don't understand why I would have pulled the chassis gone through all the controls cleaned all the pots and switches cleaned everything then just stuck the chassis back in without pulling the tubes and cleaning the the sockets at the least . Top of every Preamp tube in this amp was just black from age and heat and had I pulled just one should have seen that and looked closer.
        Not a hint of noise in the amp BTW it just was a little bland and cold sounding so guess just never looked deeper at why.
        Have 5 amps now and have had maybe 10 in total counting what I have now over the time I have owned this amp and just missed it somehow .
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

It's called " getting old".

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            It's called " getting old".

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
            DON'T RUB IN IN !!
            Guitars

Comment

Working...
            X