banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NAD: Marshall JVM410H! (in-depth demo included)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD: Marshall JVM410H! (in-depth demo included)

I got a used JVM410H a couple of weeks ago but before I posted my thoughts I wanted to have spent some time with it. Mine is an older model from the end of 2007. It has recently been serviced and new JJ tubes have been put in. When I turned on the amp for the first time I did notice something quirky: when I press the power button sometimes the power light and other lights flicker for a second before staying on. Nothing seems wrong with the amp but I figured I'd mention it anyway.

So this amp has a lot to offer tonally with it's 4 channels and 3 modes per channel! That's one of the reasons why I was so attracted to this amp. I also feel like this probably is the most modern Marshall amp in terms of high gain sounds. Since I'm mainly a rock/metal player I thought it would be right up my alley! This amp does not disappoint!

The strong suits of this amp in my opinion are the OD1 and OD2 channels. Those channels alone give this amp a huge range of tones from classic to SUPER high gain and I mean SUPER haha. On the red modes with the gain at a quarter the amp has plenty of gain. It does sound good though so the red modes definitely are useful.

The clean and crunch tones are really nice too but perhaps not as nice as some other Marshall amps. I feel like the clean channel is a little too 'dry' for my tastes and also with the crunch channel I kind of miss that JCM800 chime, or brightness. One of the benefits of this however is that 1. those 2 channels work very well with single coils and 2. those channels work very well with pedals! So I'm definitely not knocking those 2 channels but they sound a little bit different than I was expecting. It could change if I put some different tubes in there but I haven't had the time to try that yet. For now this will do just fine!

The OD1 and OD2 channels are so tight on the orange and red modes that tube-screamers and boosts are rarely needed! The green modes sound great with a boost though. With all the controls in the middle I feel like OD1 orange is where the sweetspot is for me. It reminds me a little bit of how I think a Friedman HBE sounds but a little more open and Marshally. Just perfect! This mode/channel alone makes this amp worth it for me.

I really LOVE the resonance control along with the presence of course. Every amp in the world could benefit from those controls...

Anyway, I made an in-depth demo to put this amp through it's paces. I used 15 different guitars and I go through each channel and mode in various styles. I hope you enjoy!

Who else owns one? How do you like to use it? Which channels/modes are your favorites?
    Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Re: NAD: Marshall JVM410H! (in-depth demo included)

Congrats!

Super nice demo.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

Great demo! I have a JCM205C. Like you, I find the sweet spot to be the orange OD channel, where it just sounds godly. I kind of wish that the crunch channel had more gain. I guess I could have the final gain stage modded for higher gain, since I never use it on the OD channel anyway, but I guess I might as well use a Tube Screamer.

My only real gripe with it is the parallell loop, that claims to do series but ends up never being quite 100% wet, which spells trouble for some digital effects. I see what they were going for, since there is a (very hot-signalled!) series loop, but seriously, how many people need a parallell loop in 2019 anyway?

I kind of want to try to get one of the now-discontinued JS JVMs. I think they managed to fix many of the minor issues of the JVM there.

Comment

Congrats! ..awesome tones!
        "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
        If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Thanks guys!

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
          Great demo! I have a JCM205C. Like you, I find the sweet spot to be the orange OD channel, where it just sounds godly. I kind of wish that the crunch channel had more gain. I guess I could have the final gain stage modded for higher gain, since I never use it on the OD channel anyway, but I guess I might as well use a Tube Screamer.

My only real gripe with it is the parallell loop, that claims to do series but ends up never being quite 100% wet, which spells trouble for some digital effects. I see what they were going for, since there is a (very hot-signalled!) series loop, but seriously, how many people need a parallell loop in 2019 anyway?

I kind of want to try to get one of the now-discontinued JS JVMs. I think they managed to fix many of the minor issues of the JVM there.
          I know what you mean about the crunch channel. The clean channel on the red mode almost has more gain than the crunch channel on red. I never use FX loops so I can't really comment on that but if I would use one I sure as heck wouldn't want a parallel loop so I agree with you there About the JS JVM's: I guess how you define the changes depends on your tastes. I think the JS is a bit more vintage voiced and for me personally that wouldn't be an improvement. I have the JVM because of the modern tones. I'll get more vintage Marshall tones from my other Marshall's. I guess the noise gates are super useful though so that's an improvement!
          What do you feel are the minor issues with the JVM?

OwnHammer.com

Comment

I have already mentioned the most important one above: the parallell loop does not really work as advertised. I had to do a fair bit of workaround to get the thing to work with my G-System, since the series loop proper runs extremely hot. I also think that the idea of having a mid-switch for the OD channels is brilliant. The noise gate I can take or leave. I find that my JVM, despite the claims on the internet, doesn't really need one once you stop listening for noise and start playing. That said, I also have very good reverbs on tap amongst my effects, so having a dedicated noise gate might be a small improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
              I have already mentioned the most important one above: the parallell loop does not really work as advertised. I had to do a fair bit of workaround to get the thing to work with my G-System, since the series loop proper runs extremely hot. I also think that the idea of having a mid-switch for the OD channels is brilliant. The noise gate I can take or leave. I find that my JVM, despite the claims on the internet, doesn't really need one once you stop listening for noise and start playing. That said, I also have very good reverbs on tap amongst my effects, so having a dedicated noise gate might be a small improvement.
              I agree about the noise! It's not as bad as people say, unless they are running their gain up way too high on the red modes or something...

OwnHammer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarjon View Post
                I agree about the noise! It's not as bad as people say, unless they are running their gain up way too high on the red modes or something...
                My guess is that those people are either extremely anal, or, more like, extremely anal bedroom players. My experience has been that it doesn't matter once you get into "the zone", and even less once you have a drummer and bassist to fill up space.

Comment

Great vid, as always, man!

I really like the high-gain character of the JVM. It has a certain upper-mid rasp that makes it sound really agressive and cutting and makes it sit very well in a mix. I like how it manages to sound both modern and Marshall-y.
                  Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 12-19-2019, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X