X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easiest solution for playing to a backing track with headphones

Hey guys,

Quick question.

I have a pair of headphones that I connect to the back of amphead to practice past 7pmish. My old combo amp had an AUX input that I could play backing tracks through but my EVH 50w amp just has the headphone jack.

Is there any way, and if so, what's the easiest way to get a backing track that I can play with over my headphones (for instance one I have stored on my phone)? I read that it's not a good idea to play backing tracks with guitar speaker cabs, but I am going to only use it while having my headphones hooked up so it will never hit the cab.

Would a specific pedal or one of the beat buddies accomplish this?

Any suggestions would be a appreciated.

Thank you,

Re: Easiest solution for playing to a backing track with headphones

It's not recomended to use the guitar cab because of how much they color the sound, which wounds good on guitar but weird on general music. You won't blow up your amp afaik.
    It seems you already have a setup that can work with headphones, no?

Personally I use a Boss GT-1, has headphone out and auxiliar in.
    "Eventually there will be a beautiful statue there, I just have to chip away" -Satriani

Comment

Originally posted by BlueStrings View Post
      It's not recomended to use the guitar cab because of how much they color the sound, which wounds good on guitar but weird on general music. You won't blow up your amp afaik.
      It seems you already have a setup that can work with headphones, no?

Personally I use a Boss GT-1, has headphone out and auxiliar in.
      Well so my amp has the headphones input, so I use that. But it doesnt have an aux in or anything so I cant play a backing track. So, when I'm not using my headphones I just play through the cab and I turn my computer speakers up high and play the backing track on youtube or an mp3.

But when i want to play quietly i need the backing track to go to my headphones through the amp. Just dont have anything to play the backing track. The gt-1 can do that?

Comment

They solved this in the 80's - it's called a Rockman.

Back in my formative years, I'd jack in a cassette deck to the Aux In on the Rockman and learn note-for-note while hearing everything on the headphones.

Comment

I use a Scarlett unit. I have the solo and the 2i2, both work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Boss WAZA headphones, at least that’s what I want.

WAZA-AIR: Wireless Personal Guitar Amplification System - A Revolutionary New Tone Experience for Guitar

Comment

I use an IK Multimedia iRig 2 along with their AmpliTube software on my iPhone.

It has a bunch of great sounding amps and effects pedals. And I can play along with music I have in the Music app on the phone.

It also lets you record, has a drum machine and a looper.

I think it only runs on iOS though, because Android can’t do real time audio processing, except for a couple of pro audio models, due to high latency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My Apple laptop had an audio in 1/8" jack as well as 1/8" audio out so any amp with headphone out I could run into the line in and monitor with GarageBand with the headphone out in the computer while playing tracks and any other app.
                Perhaps something can be worked out with your computer. If you only have a combo line in/line out on the computer you could maybe use Bluetooth headphones or something

Comment

You can't just connect headphones to your phone, and play normally with your guitar rig? Surely the easiest solution.

That's what I do unless I'm running through my recording computer with Aardvark interface.
                  "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                  Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

A small mixer, run the amp into one channel and your phone into another and mix to headphones.

Shop for the Mackie Mix5 5-Channel Compact Mixer in and receive free shipping and guaranteed lowest price.

Comment

Originally posted by allstarrme View Post
                      Boss WAZA headphones, at least that’s what I want.

https://www.boss.info/us/products/waza-air/
                      This seems to be the easiest, but not cheapest solution.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                        A small mixer, run the amp into one channel and your phone into another and mix to headphones.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Mackie/...06558845640.gc
                        This. Run the headphones out of your amp to one channel, your computer or phone to another channel, problem solved. I have a Soundcraft Notepad 102 mixer do this very thing myself. Since my amp is at our rehearsal space, I use AmpliTube on an old iPhone with the iRig2 to one channel and my laptop goes in to another. My Skullcandy over-the-ear headphones are so great that I can't hear anything else other than what is coming from them. Totally isolated and quiet practicing to the rest of the house, aside from what it sounds like hitting the strings.

Comment

How does the 5150 amp deal with headphones? Do you just leave it in standby?

Comment

Yes, Mixer. I got a cheap Behringer one for maybe $40 used?
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                              How does the 5150 amp deal with headphones? Do you just leave it in standby?
                              Actually I have to turn it on, cant be in standby. Idk it must cut the power enough somehow for the headphones to work.

For the blackstar I mentioned below, yeah in standby is like headphones mode and then when you turn it on it goes into speaker mode. I actually like that a lot. Sound pretty good too.

Update:
                              So I actually had to return something today at guitar center and there was a used blackstar ht5r there. You can connect headphones to it and plug in an mp3 player so I just bought it. Ended up paying about $60 after I returned my item. So problem is solved.

Thanks guys!
                              Last edited by chillytouch; 12-20-2019, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X