banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall Origin FX loop - more hum when engaged - any remedy for this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Origin FX loop - more hum when engaged - any remedy for this?

Hi

Thought I open it up, but might void warranty still there, so if knowing it helps would be good.

Did anybody do rerouting of some cabling or something that can fix this?
    I get too much extra 50 Hz hum engaging fx loop.

Or did they do a real simple foot control and signal goes all the way to control and back and not relay controlled?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Larioso; 04-15-2020, 02:13 AM.

Re: Marshall Origin FX loop - more hum when engaged - any remedy for this?

Pic on inside if anybody did something that helped

Comment

speaker cable in the fx loop?

I did that once
      looked like a patch cable
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Yes, it is tricky to see difference speaker cable.
        No, not in this case.
        But thanks for idea.

Not sure if they possibly make the foot control so signal goes all the way out and back again, but not sure yet. Am to investigate.
        I mean if they saved on the relay.

Comment

What do you have in the fx loop? What kind of adapter are you using? Are you using the same adapter for pedals in front of the amp and in the loop (yeah, I've had that be a problem before)?

Comment

Thanks.
            I use Gator G-bus-8 for floorboard, but separate for fx loop. I think Gator is separate ground for each, if I'm not mistaken so should be able to use I think.
            Tried a couple of pedals, and cables too.
            One cheap pedal increased hum quite a bit if putting it on top of amp, used a separate 9V 0.5A so well overpowered - but seemed not well shielded.
            But currently I put unused EHX Blackfinger which has it's own power supply too.

So no ground loop thing, I think.

But test I have to make is what I picked up today reading - just make a cable over fx loop and see if the same sound.
            This could show if signal is routed out maybe.

Also testing fx loop on, without anything there - is another one that might show if any different - it should be shortcircuited but one never knows.

EDIT: Put longer cable in fx loop, 60cm was enough, so I could move pedal away from amp in other direction where it was.
            And solved, it's so low 50 hz hum that if really turning amp up you hardly notice.
            Last edited by Larioso; 04-15-2020, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted out.

Comment

Working...
              X