Tubes for my ‘73 Super Reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubes for my ‘73 Super Reverb

My Super is in need of some tlc. A friend recommended a new set of tubes before taking it to be serviced. I’d like to just buy a set, but it looks like the BF calls for a different set than the SF. This one’s a ‘73 SF, non-MV. Any recommendations?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Tubes for my ‘73 Super Reverb

Doug's tubes is a good site with lots a recommendation for old Fender's and Marshall's. I re-did my SF 73 Pro Reverb a few years back and was very happy.

Comment

the only thing that might have changed between bf and sf is the rectifier tube. everything else should be the same. bf use gz34 and some sf use 5u4gb

Comment

There’s a set of JJs on Reverb for $121. I can afford more than that if something else is gonna be better.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

well... jjs are fine. i like their 6v6 even though they dont sound much like an old 6v6, they have more power and a little more 6l6 character than something like a tungsol which sounds like an old 6v6 to me. i like their preamp tubes in some amps. their 6l6 are a little hard sounding to me but some may like that. theres a fair amount of options out there and there are tonal differences between them

Comment

Which would you recommend? I just saw it’s not that many tubes, so I’m cool with piecing it together.

Comment

honestly, id start with just the power tubes, the pi and maybe v2. i like the fat bottle tads for 6l6 and a nos 12at7 for the pi. v2 is all about preference since thats your primary tube for the vibrato channel. if your rectifier is working, it should be fine. if you wanted another one, id look at nos

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

theres kinda two styles of 6l6. ge which are shorter and fatter and rca which are taller and thinner. i like the fat ge style since they usually breakup a little earlier but if you want more clean headroom the rca style might be better for you

Comment

Earlier breakup would be better.

Comment

I put EH 6L6s in my Blue Angel, and absolutely love the sound.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

6l6 in the blue angel? dont they usually have 6v6 and el84?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          6l6 in the blue angel? dont they usually have 6v6 and el84?
                          Yes, but they can also do 6l6s instead of the 6v6s safely, and it sounds great.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I just leave it to my amps tech.... He has my Shiva right now retubing.... he knows what I like and ive never had any issues with what he has done!
                            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

thinking about this... i bet you could run some tung sol 5881 in there and lower the volume a little compared to a 6l6. the bottom wont be a deep/full though from other experiences with that switch.

Comment

Working...
                              X