banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can i destroy/damage my amp, by running a NASTY fuzz behind it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i destroy/damage my amp, by running a NASTY fuzz behind it?

My amp is a Blackstar HT-20mkII valve amp, with 2xel84's, and 2x12ax7's in the preamp.:

recentrly got an Electro Harmonix "Octavix" fuzz, that sounds so nasty and mean-

I'm afraid I'll damage my amp by using it infront of it?! :o

any input?

-Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Re: Can i destroy/damage my amp, by running a NASTY fuzz behind it?

Ok... this one is particulary "nasty". with loads of volume boost, a "hard and mean" tonality.- aswell as loads of fuzz and "octave up" settings... :/

I "FEEL" that I am damaging my amp though...

just want peoples input regarding this.

-Erl
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Running a pedal in front of the amp, as between the guitar and the amp's input, or in the loop will not damage the amp.

Running a pedal BEHIND the amp, as between the amp's output and the speaker, will destroy the amp.

A heavy fuzz with the amp run at max volume might be a little hard on the speaker.

Comment

You would think there is a limit to stupid, but there's not.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          And your post proves just that.

Comment

wow what a cool and helpful and positive thing to say. You must be a great guy who has lots of friends.

Erland, as for your actual question, you don't have to worry about the nastiness of the fuzz. The only time I've heard of pedals damaging amps is when they have extremely loud clean boosts, like over 100dBs or something crazy like that, and that's in extreme situations. Most of this modern equipment is pretty stout and ready to take a few knocks, and they've been making fuzzes nastier than the Octavix since the 60s. Crank it up and enjoy it.
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

You must be very careful. In front, usually ok. Behind, should be ok. On top, hopefully you’re ok. Under, and all kinds of problems.

I remember watching Henning Pauly and he used the terms “in front of” and “behind” completely opposite of how I would use them talking about a signal chain. It must be either a translation or cultural thing.

But yes, enjoy your fuzz with your amp. I remember building a DIY boost in high school, I was paranoid I’d blow up something.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

You can’t damage an amp with any pedal made for a guitar. They are all instrument level. And even line level won’t damage it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok.

Atleast it's giving my speaker some real "loosening up exercises", it's got a really strong fundamental on the "24v" setting.

Surprised it did even come with a 9v adaptor! :o It can run batteries as well.

Thanks for the answers, guys.

-Erl

EDIT: Reason I answered- is that the tone coming out of this pedal, is crude, loud, edgy-
                  sounds like it could "kill" something.

I am running it infront of the amp, on the clean channel, with the amps "gain" control rolled back ALOT.

\m/
                  Last edited by Erlend_G; 07-21-2020, 08:02 AM.

Comment

the octavia was a pretty aggressive fuzz even without the octave but it does its trick well

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      the octavia was a pretty aggressive fuzz even without the octave but it does its trick well
                      I really like this pedal

Just jammed out loud with it.

The 9/24v switch makes kinda "two pedals in one"- the 24v mode is quite alot louder tho.

And the "volume" control also influences the tone/character of the fuzz, not just the volume. There's alot of sounds to be had...

I learned to love fuzz tones, by listening to old Black Sabbath.

In comparison, the onboard OD channel of my blackstar, sounds so polite, like "cream" in comparison . hehe.

Simple, heavy riffs- with a THUNDEROUS fuzz tone... that's where I'm going these days.

-Erl

EDIT:

Tried combining it with the OD channel of my amp.

The Blackstar's OD channel "gates out" the lowest lows, and the highest highs.- like a midrange band pass filter.

and also smooths it out alot.

Useful for certain things- but the real "nastyness" comes from running it into the clean channel.
                      Last edited by Erlend_G; 07-21-2020, 08:42 AM.

Comment

I wish I could showcase some riffs for you.

Went shopping for webcameras today- in two different stores. Neither had anything under 70USD... :o

So I'm ordering a cheap Logitech one from the internets.

Maybe in two weeks time? I'll "rock your socks"

-Erl

Comment

And your post proves just that.
                          I was referring to TMP's post, not the OP.
                          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I was referring to TMP's post, not the OP.
                            Yeah, obviously, and him asking an honest question to improve his guitar playing isn't stupid. You coming in here unsolicited to imply that he is stupid? THAT is a negative waste of time and energy, which is, in fact, objectively stupid.

Go to Facebook if you want to be rude other 60-year-olds, man. Don't come on guitar forums if you don't want to talk about guitars.
                            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                              Yeah, obviously, and him asking an honest question to improve his guitar playing isn't stupid. You coming in here unsolicited to imply that he is stupid? THAT is a negative waste of time and energy, which is, in fact, objectively stupid.

Go to Facebook if you want to be rude other 60-year-olds, man. Don't come on guitar forums if you don't want to talk about guitars.
                              I agree with what you're saying whoheartedly, he was replying to TMD's post about power chords.
                              I thought he was being a complete dick at first too.. but when I realized what he was referring to I understood.
                              Last edited by solspirit; 07-21-2020, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X