banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running 2x12" instead of 1x12". How does the amp handle it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running 2x12" instead of 1x12". How does the amp handle it?

I ordered a 1x12" extension cab for my Blackstar Ht-20mkII (1x12") combo yesterday.

(Decided I had to invest my last savings, before I start on this horrible "government debt payment plan" that will make me, well, ruined for 5 years to come.)

... My question /thougts are:

My amp is 20, 2xel84 watts. Nice and loud enough, trough the built in 1x12" speaker.

When I get my extension cab, and then connect it (aswell as the onboard speaker) into the dedicated 8-ohm speaker outputs- (or how it is.)

-Will the amplifier "work harder" to drive two speakers, and sound/react different- than if just running a single one?

I'm no expert , just a novice, so sorry if my questions are "stupid".

I'm imagining a car, with a "20 bhp" engine- now having to power "double the weight" :o

Is it so? Will I experience, like- less headroom?

thanks for any answer.

-Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Re: Running 2x12" instead of 1x12". How does the amp handle it?

As long as your ohms are correct from the amp to the extension speaker, you should be fine, I believe.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

You need to know the impedance of your speaker cabinet and then set your amp to match that impedance.

If your new cab has two 8 ohm speakers connected in parallel, the impedance is half of 8 ohms: 4 ohms.

If your new cab has two 16 ohm speakers connected in parallel, the impedance is half of 16 ohms: 8 ohms.

Figure it out.
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

If the speakers are the correct impedance the amp will be putting out the same power as if you had the stock speaker by itself

In practice though, 2 speakers are louder than one, so you may be setting the amplifier to a bit lower volume in order to get the same perceived volume in your room. If you leave your amp dialed the same and add the other speaker you will be louder.

Also there sound can become more open, less focused and compressed, because with two speakers each one is now getting half the power that one equivalent speaker would get. Each speaker is being driven with less watts. Instead of one speaker getting all 20w for instance, you would have two speakers that each get ten watts.

If anything you should feel like you have more headroom when you have a second speaker, as you can use lower gain settings at the amp but have that second speaker pushing more volume

Comment

The speaker impedance is going to be matched and 100% correct....

thanks for the answers

I think, that being the "bottom cab" being closed off-

I can run the "bass knob" lower, and spend even fewer watts on low-end

I sent my money to my fathers bank account, so that the government wouldn't "steal it"...

During a month's time- I'll have stacked my amp "double the size" with a total of 2x 12" speakers

-Erlend
          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Do this often and it won't adversely effect headroom in fact since you won't have to push your amp as hard to get the same volume in the room you might actually gain some.
            Here is my 25 Watt Zinky Blue Velvet combo on my Blackstar 1/12 cab unmiced outdoors. Running both the internal speaker and the cab WGS ET 90 in the Zinky WGS Retro 30 in the cab.
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

It will split the output power equally to both speakers, it won't make the amp work harder, it will spread the power out. For playing in the apartment, not sure it will make a huge difference, again, other than just being able to spread the speakers out.

Comment

Working...
              X