Old amp, weird tubes . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old amp, weird tubes . . .

. . . So I snagged a little all tube (no PCB) combo amp off of ebay a few weeks ago for about 60$, and have really been enjoying the sounds that I get from it. However, it seems to be pretty old and I was wondering what I should do to make sure that it's in perfect working order . . .

The amp is a Canadian made Thorcraft Mustang . . . from what I gather it is about 40 years old and has a whole bunch of tubes in it that I don't recognize . . . There is one 12AX7, two 6AV6 tubes, and one 6BQ5 can anyone give me any information about these tubes? Do they still make them?
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Re: Old amp, weird tubes . . .

Has anyone ever heard of these amps? It seems to sound like a vox . . . very bright dry sound to it . . .

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv
      . . . So I snagged a little all tube (no PCB) combo amp off of ebay a few weeks ago for about 60$, and have really been enjoying the sounds that I get from it. However, it seems to be pretty old and I was wondering what I should do to make sure that it's in perfect working order . . .

The amp is a Canadian made Thorcraft Mustang . . . from what I gather it is about 40 years old and has a whole bunch of tubes in it that I don't recognize . . . There is one 12AX7, two 6AV6 tubes, and one 6BQ5 can anyone give me any information about these tubes? Do they still make them?
      ...Cool score, havent seen one in awhile.... a 6BQ5 is also more commonly known as an EL84, and are quite readily available!
      Most of the amps of this era should probably be checked out by a tech to insure capacitor integrity, as well as resistor "drift" as most components will wear over time....

Jeff Seal
      ..lots and lots of toys!

"...swords and tequila, carry me through the fight!"

"I am Phil"....
      www.houstonamprepair.com

Comment

Cool, any idea on 6AV6 tubes? Sometimes when I turn on the amp it makes a weird humming/fuzzy noise that gets louder and louder untill I flip the amp off. Then when I turn it on again all is fine . . . anyone know what that would be ?

Comment

Hey,real cool,I got the exact amp as you and the same questions,where to get info on it.GUITARstv you could try to search internet as I have but limited info,what I can say is they were made by a radio tech named Hank Thorkelsson back in the day and sold out of a store in vancouver.

Comment

I have a Sylvania Tube Manual at home from the 1950s that my grandfather gave to me. I can give you more information than you ever wanted to know about that 6AV6 when I get home.

I was looking at it last night, as a matter of fact, trying to figure out what the heck a 6L6GB was.
            my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

I'd appreciate that info I6 . . . I took the amp in to a shop a few years ago to try and get it recapped, but the tech said he didn't know where to start on it. It's been working OK with the original tubes, but the humming/fuzzy noise still happens now and again. I should probably try to find someone else to take a look at it . . .

Weird . . . I'm sure that I originally posted this in the amp room.

Comment

The 12AX7 is basically two 6AV6 triodes in one package.
                The Hum; Caps.
                sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                  Weird . . . I'm sure that I originally posted this in the amp room.
                  I wasn't around here six years ago, but I was under the impression that there wasn't an amp room back in the dark ages.
                  Custom neck-thru strat
                  1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                  1995 PRS CE24
                  D'avanzo #8
                  Breedlove Solo Concert
                  1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                  1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                  1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                  Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Great resource if you are of the engineering type. I'll take a look and give you a rundown of the 6AV6.

Looks like a 7 pin single triode with an odd diode situation happening with a shared cathode... Hmmm, wonder how that is used in the circuit. If I were able to see it or a schematic, I'd be able to be a bit clearer.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                    Originally posted by Securb
                    The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Heh . . . if I had a schematic I would have replaced everything in the amp many years ago. I'm pretty sure that those tubes are used in the tremolo for the amp somehow.

Comment

my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

This tube was used in car radios as a combined triode amplifier, and a diode detector/avc(?) tube. It would pick up the signal, then amplify it just like a 12AX7 would, with a factor of 100 for the gain.

Directly interchangeable with a 6AT6 for less gain.

Hit up Fat Willie (Lord Valve) at NBS Electronics in Denver, and I'd bet a shiny new nickle that he has a pair of them NOS in his store.
                          Last edited by guitfiddle; 08-31-2011, 09:24 AM.
                          - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                          Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                          The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Or check out Mike @ KCA NOS Tubes. I've had nothing but stellar experiences with Mike.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Working...
                            X