X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vox AC-30 vs. Fender Twin Reverb '65 RI

Originally posted by Quencho092
    The new aC30CC's are made in china.

Unfortunately, IMO. AC30's were meant to be hand crafted in Britain. But why transfer production to China?

Tv.
    Official Web Page MySpace My Music On Soundclick

Comment

I've been very happy with my chinese produced Vox AC30 Custom Classic...I have the Wharfdale speakers, not the Alnico Blues..wish I could afford them...

and the tones that come out of this thing are AMAZING. I absolutely love it..and the innovations they added on this one like footswitchable reverb and a master volume...pure genius..the tones are amazing and with a great overdrive pedal..that's all you really need to do the blues thing (which is almost the entirety of what I do)
      Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
      It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

I play a bit of everything but generally rock and blues. As I get older, I see myself getting more into funk and R&B music. At the moment I play a Marshall stack... I've decided to change things up and go into another direction after 5 years of thinking hard weather or not to sell the stack. I can't have more than one amp so I must part with my long time Marshall/girlfriend.

I'll look into the Orage AC-30 but am not too particular on the Laney... I want crisp cleans and dirty OD that breaks up nicely... those are VERY important to me... I ain't really looking for a power amp anymore, which is the way I see Marshall as.

Thanks for teh recommendation.
        I don't see anything wrong with the laney from what i have heard it is closer to the AC-30 then the orange and it has 2 chanells and reverb
        Gondola Kid
        Bandcamp
        Facebook
        JimijaymesGuitarist
        Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by CapoFirstFret
          I've been very happy with my chinese produced Vox AC30 Custom Classic...I have the Wharfdale speakers, not the Alnico Blues..wish I could afford them...

and the tones that come out of this thing are AMAZING. I absolutely love it..and the innovations they added on this one like footswitchable reverb and a master volume...pure genius..the tones are amazing and with a great overdrive pedal..that's all you really need to do the blues thing (which is almost the entirety of what I do)
          +1
          I agree that the new Custom Classic is a great model at an even better price point. You basically get all the variations of AC30s in one super AC30.
          Sniper-V
          C5/59, C5/AIIP, JB/59

Guitars:
          PRS Custom 22 Artist - Grey Black Flame - C5/AIIP
          PRS Singlecut Artist - Raspberry Quilt
          PRS Singlecut - Grey Black Flame
          PRS Standard 22 - Creme
          Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul R9 1/off - Natural Flame w/ custom graphic - C5/59
          Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Elegant - Peacok Flame
          Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Classic Prem. Plus - Rootbeer Quilt

Comment

What does a Twin sound like cranked? I mean, I know Voxs have a certain mild overdrive sound, but what about a Fender? They are more known for their cleans than for OD stuff... would it sound good with a tubescreamer, or a distortion pedal?
            Colossians 1:15

Originally posted by Gr8Scott
            I absolutely have no doubt that Aceman has a glitter covered pony head on a stick that he occasionally saddles and rides around his office in full aceman regalia screaming like a cowboy on a meth binge just because the mood strikes him.

Comment

As a personal choice, I'd go with the Vox, cause I know what kind of tone I want, but if I were recommending an amp for someone else, I prob go with something else.
              The AC30, is not everyone's cup of tea!
              " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbojsr
                What does a Twin sound like cranked? I mean, I know Voxs have a certain mild overdrive sound, but what about a Fender? They are more known for their cleans than for OD stuff... would it sound good with a tubescreamer, or a distortion pedal?
                If you know how to control your amp and guitar well (EQ, tone knob, volume control, pickup switch) a lower wattage fender like a deluxe reverb can sing smooth lead tones with a neck pickup amazingly. But, an amp like the twin never really gets raunchy, up at the high volumes (EXTREME LOUD!) at around 8-10 you could expect a bit of speaker fart if there's too much bass dialed in, but you won't see a sweet overdriven lead tone in there, just a warm but blistering clean tone.

I like to EQ my deluxe when cranked with bass at 1, treble at 4, volume up at around 7 or 8. The lower you set both of your EQ controls on a fender, the LESS scoop there is in the sound, so you end up with alot more mids. A distorted blackface fender is like the 'civilized' man's lead tone, and I'd take it over anything else!
                2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

The real problem here is that not a lot of you have real club experience playing a 60’s Vox AC-60 Top Boost and a 60’s Fender Twin Reverb (Forget the 65 Twin Reverb RI, unless you chatting about the 65 Twin Reverb 15 RI, which is a different amp all together)

The 60’s AC30 Top Boost is a very cool, great amp, but it is not in the same class as the 60’s Twin.

The newer AC30 and Twin are quite different in terms of tone that the original 60’s AC30 TB and Twin had and still in many cases still have..

It would be beneficial if posters actually played these amps in club settings rather than reading on internet or playing in some guitar store, then making a real comment based on actual club use!

Just my $2 not 2 cents worth.
                  Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                  When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                  Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                  Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                  Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Apples and oranges. I'd never be comparing the two to each other.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Yogi Berra was correct.
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Reaching back six years to insult people? Wow.

Comment

"Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Stratman View Post
                          The real problem here is that not a lot of you have real club experience playing a 60’s Vox AC-60 Top Boost and a 60’s Fender Twin Reverb (Forget the 65 Twin Reverb RI, unless you chatting about the 65 Twin Reverb 15 RI, which is a different amp all together)

The 60’s AC30 Top Boost is a very cool, great amp, but it is not in the same class as the 60’s Twin.

The newer AC30 and Twin are quite different in terms of tone that the original 60’s AC30 TB and Twin had and still in many cases still have..

It would be beneficial if posters actually played these amps in club settings rather than reading on internet or playing in some guitar store, then making a real comment based on actual club use!

Just my $2 not 2 cents worth.
                          Like my man said...bumping a thread from 05 simply to be a clown shoe...a new low for you Larry.

You ever stop to think that nobody here wants your 2 cents or dollars or whatever??
                          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Well, he did point out that the old ones are different from the reissues.....that's a great point! They dont sound the same!
                            2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

AC 30 gets my vote.
                              Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                              H-S guitars with floyds make me erect.
                              Originally posted by jcthejester13
                              I'm pretty sure it's like nailing twins. They are identical but feel totally different.

Comment

I even commented on this thread now I take back what I said as the amps I suggested probably arent close enough. Growing up with a 73 AC30 (solid state rectifier) I know what AC30s sound like in a band setting but I guess as its mainly what I know I am biased. Hail the AC30 the new ones now are pretty cool (better then CC)
                                Gondola Kid
                                Bandcamp
                                Facebook
                                JimijaymesGuitarist
                                Youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X