That new little Crate head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That new little Crate head

Has anybody tried one yet? I love the tone from my GT-6, and don't wanna screw it up with an amp The only reason I'm even halfway interested is it looks like a sweet 150w power amp for $200. It only weighs like 4.5 lbs, and looks freakin' hilarious on top of a 4X12.

Anybody have .02 to throw in?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: That new little Crate head

it sounded great at NAMM
    http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
    >cord<
    1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Its makes a pretty decent backup amp in the case of a main rig failure. Just dont expect ot to the be the backbone for your tone.

It's funny seeing as the Gt-6 is bigger and more expensive than the power block
      Ibanez SZ520 (APHn/APHb)

Comment

Originally posted by Funky P
        It's funny seeing as the Gt-6 is bigger and more expensive than the power block
        I know... that was honestly the initial reason I got interested in one. One of the local shops has one in stock, so I think I may take the GT-6 over, run it straight into the effects loop return, thru a 4X12, and see if it doesn't color the sound. If this is the case, i think I'll be buying it
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I never thought about it before, but that thing would make a perfect backup amp! Dragging an extra amp head to a gig 'just in case' is something most people don't bother with, but that little Crate would be perfect, since it's so compact.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

it sounded really nice at NAMM...the guy was a great player and used a nice PRS, but still, the clean tones were full and lush....the overdrive was pretty good too, just a good driving sound for standard rock guitar....and overall, the sound was really responsive, which surprised me for SS amp...i was very impressed, i think they hit it out of the ballpark considering the small price tag on those
            http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
            >cord<
            1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Yeah, seems like a great idea for amping a POD/GT6 type board, and also as a backup. I mean, I highly doubt that 90% here can afford to have a back up to your number one amp that is the same as that amp. (Two Marshall or Mesa heads? One that goes basically unused?) For a couple hundred bucks it beats not having an amp if your amp goes down.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

And on top of all the practical reasons, it looks cool as hell sitting on top of a 4X12

Comment

Originally posted by flank
                  it sounded really nice at NAMM...the guy was a great player and used a nice PRS, but still, the clean tones were full and lush....the overdrive was pretty good too, just a good driving sound for standard rock guitar....and overall, the sound was really responsive, which surprised me for SS amp...i was very impressed, i think they hit it out of the ballpark considering the small price tag on those
                  Full and lush clean tones from a Crate? Yikes! I don't know how that's possible.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside
                    mean, I highly doubt that 90% here can afford to have a back up to your number one amp that is the same as that amp. (Two Marshall or Mesa heads? One that goes basically unused?)
                    GJ

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

I'll be getting one shortly, it has to be the perfect backup head for a gig without a doubt. I messed with one quickly and it didn't sound bad at all. I wouldn't put it in the great league except for convenience put it certainly had a useable hard rockin' tone.
                      My Bands -
                      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist
                        Full and lush clean tones from a Crate? Yikes! I don't know how that's possible.

Their V series tube amps sound really good actually. Still it is surprising that a solid state of thiers would have good clean tone. Overall the cheaper Crates are pretty good amps for thier price point though.
                        Originally posted by ratherdashing
                        If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Comment

Crate's products have improved by leaps and bounds over the years. Their V series amps are getting raving reviews. Billy Gibbons is using them now and preaches about them in almost every gear conversation he's in. Their little practice amps are real reliable. Like anything, to make something last you need to take care of it. Well, after 10 years I still have that same Crate GX-15, sounds as good as the day I bought it. This new Power Block is great and is perfect for modelers like the POD. Definitely worth the $200 in my book. That's $200 saved by not going to the chiropractor.

Comment

ive seen a prototype crate v series that billy was using, ptp 18w marshall. sounded amazing.
                            the v series are good but i talked to the guy that designed the circuts and some of billys arent stock. still a good amp for the money

Comment

GP mag did a review of the little fella in the recent issue. I want one!

Comment

Working...
                              X