cool gear...what is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cool gear...what is it?

Can any of you guys tell me what this amp/head is in the picture? I was at a little gig Saturday night and saw this. I have never seen anything like it before, unfortunately I didn't get real clear pics of it. I thought if anyone would know you all would It looks really cool, and the guy using it sounded pretty damn good. So I was wondering. Thanks

Originally posted by Briand
    keeping Steph in-line is dang near an all day job.
    Originally posted by OneSecksieGearJoneser
    Happy birthday darlin! If I had the X Files on DVD, I'd send it your way. I'm generous like that.

Re: cool gear...what is it?

That most definitely appears to be a Hughes & Kettner Triamp. I've heard they sound really kickass, I only wish my neighbourhood guitar store had one to try out
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

here it is thanks to 9finger too...
      Now anyone know anything about the sound or quality etc. etc.? Looks aren't everything BUT they do count some. That is simply bad@ss IMO.
      Happy birthday darlin! If I had the X Files on DVD, I'd send it your way. I'm generous like that.

Comment

That is most certainly a HK Triamp MKII, I've got one in my shop to be repaired right now. They are most definitely cool!...... maybe I should start posting clips of some the ultra high end gear.....since I get to hear killer amps all day long. (Cool job, huh!)

Jeff Seal
        ..lots and lots of toys!

"...swords and tequila, carry me through the fight!"

"I am Phil"....
        www.houstonamprepair.com

Comment

Hughes & Kettner are german I believe. Make some of the best sounding amps in the world. I really want a duotone, the 2 channel model. They are simply amazing, and have quite a hefty price tag to match, way out of my price range.

Comment

Yeah that would be awesome....I was serious they sounded good - technically they are a way better band than their material lets on. They are a cover band....

Comment

How much? The website's online store appears to be down right now...

Comment

I played a Mk. 1 Triamp for a while. Loved the amp, but 100w tube was waaaayyyyy too much power for me. I love H&K's products!

The Mk. 2 Triamp looks like a cool beast. It can be turned down to 50w, has all the cool blue lights for dark stages (like in the picture ). They also did some revoicings for the Mk. 2: no reverb (the Mk.1 had an Accutronics reverb tank), tweaked channel 2, channel 1a isn't master controlled anymore (allows easier balancing between 1a and 1b) and the 1/2 power switch I mentioned earlier.

They are killer amps, just bear in mind that they are heavy, they are cumbersome, they can get a little noisy and they are loud! I love my Fargen Epic 30 DC, but I do regret selling my Triamp.
                Originally posted by kevlar3000
                I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                Originally posted by Zerberus
                Better is often the enemy of good
                Originally posted by ginormous
                Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

hmmm no expert here but anything hughes & kettner tube is going to be minimum $1,000 (i could be wrong)

i like the alex lifeson head and well it is like $2500 or something
                  "...Strange brew -- kill what's inside of you..."

Comment

Originally posted by aaronl
                    hmmm no expert here but anything hughes & kettner tube is going to be minimum $1,000 (i could be wrong)

i like the alex lifeson head and well it is like $2500 or something
                    Yep. A few years ago I got a used Mk. 1 Triamp for $1050. Nowadays, I'm pretty sure they sell for about the same used (with the Mk. 2 routinely selling for around $1500 used)

I should also mention that the Mk. 1 Triamp came in two versions: the EL-34 and 6l6. I had an EL-34 one and the new Mk. 2 amps are all EL-34.

The Alex Lifeson sig. Triamp is exactly the same as the Mk. 2 except with purple lights instead of blue.
                    Originally posted by kevlar3000
                    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                    Originally posted by Zerberus
                    Better is often the enemy of good
                    Originally posted by ginormous
                    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

So tell me this guys....is that an amp or a head? It is sitting on two Marshall amps in the pics, so I was thinking (I know that gets me in trouble sometimes ) that it is a head. Everything I am reading on their website and from y'all it sounds like it's an amp.

Comment

It's a head... which is an amp as far as I understand it...

but yes, it's a head and it's powering those Marshall speaker cabinets.

Rock On!
                        ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
                        2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
                        Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Allright so Brian was explaining to me that the head powers the speakers, like you said...I am going to have to do some reading obviously....he tried to explain it all to me but I am confused, to say the least. The terminology throws me off...I thought it had to have speakers to be an amp....but I will learn it, oh yes I will.

Comment

'Amp' is short for amplifier, which can be either as a combo (an amp in a box with atleast 1 speaker) or as a head (just the amp). If it's a head, then it needs to be plugged into external speaker cabinets (like the marshall one's in the pic).

I don't mean this to sound like I'm talking 'down' to you in anyway, just tried to explain it very simply

Comment

Thoes "triamps" have like 6 handwired channels.

$3,200 last time I checked, killer amps tho. Clean on channel 1, insanity on channel 6, as far as i remember.
                              Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

Working...
                              X