What is a Marshall Super lead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a Marshall Super lead?

I wonder, what is the Super lead sound? Does any OD/Dist stompbox have that sound? Were the heads tube or ss?
    100% Bass player

Re: What is a Marshall Super lead?

Originally posted by Thurisarz
    I wonder, what is the Super lead sound?
    A 100W non-master volume tube head (the mystical Plexi amps preferred) with EL34s cranked to its limits through a couple of 4-12 cabinets (real wood, not the new MDF) with 25W greenbacks.

Does any OD/Dist stompbox have that sound?
    Many, actually most, have tried, none have totally succeeded. The closest are probably the Carl Martin pedals, Radial Engineering tube pedals, Marshall pedals, or some other boutique pedals designed around the sound, you won't find one in the Boss or Ibanez lineup. But, pedals can't totally create the physics of the interactions of the power tubes, trannies, and cabinet and speaker interactions.

Were the heads tube or ss?
    Blasphemy See the first point above.

We'll forgive you because of your age When the Super Lead came out, there weren't many, if any, SS amps around. It was one of the first, if not the first, 100W head made.

Hope this helps,
    Roger

Comment

Listen to the Van Halen albums from 1978 through 1984. There's a Super Lead. Granted, he ran is differently than conventional setups but it's a Super Lead nonetheless. The Who would be a good listen for what it sounds like and Hendrix stuff.

100 Watts of pure all tube power .... (in Tim Allen grunt) Ho Ho Ho !!!!

Comment

I'm gonna "Bi-amp" my Bass and guitar amp and i want OD only from the guitar amp. I have talked with my friend at the local store and i'm thinking of getting either a A+B box and have a OD pedal in the guitar chain and have the bass amp clean for the lows or getting a BOSS LS-2 Line selector. The Boss way is the cheapest way but also the recommendation from my friend at the store. So i need something in the guitar amp line for OD.
        100% Bass player

Comment

I'm gonna "Bi-amp" my Bass and guitar amp and i want OD only from the guitar amp. I have talked with my friend at the local store and i'm thinking of getting either a A+B box and have a OD pedal in the guitar chain and have the bass amp clean for the lows or getting a BOSS LS-2 Line selector. The Boss way is the cheapest way but also the recommendation from my friend at the store. So i need something in the guitar amp line for OD.
          A simple A/B box is all you need. Your guitar would go in to the A/B box, then split from there to each amp. OD on the guitar amp side would be between the A/B box and the amp.

If you want a cool Super Lead sounding pedal, not exact but in the ballpark, and can do your own electronics stuff, check out the Thunderchief at www.runoffgroove.com. There's some clips too. It's incredible.

Comment

If you're actually "bi-amping" what are you going to use for your crossover?
            *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
            Originally posted by Slash2987
            Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
            Originally posted by PVFan
            I'm a good sex man.
            Originally posted by Grumpy
            I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Originally posted by The Golden Boy
              If you're actually "bi-amping" what are you going to use for your crossover?
              100% Bass player

Comment

What The Golden Boy is asking is what are you using to split the low frequencies to the bass amp and the highs and mids to the guitar amp. That is what a crossover does. It allows you to split your frequencies across two amps, or more depending on if it's a 2-way, 3-way or 4-way crossover, like in a sooped up car stereo. That is usually what bi-amping means.

I'm assuming you just want to split your signal as-is to two different amps and switch between the two, using the bass amp for clean work.

Comment

So i need a crossover device you say? For the moment i just need to get sound out of 2 amps with one instrument.
                  100% Bass player

Comment

So i need a crossover device you say? For the moment i just need to get sound out of 2 amps with one instrument.
                    At the same time?
                    Do you want to split the frequencies?

Comment

Make sure you're using a bass cab with your guitar head. Even though it's a guitar head you're still going to be pushing out a lot of bottom end for 25w guitar speakers to handle.

Regarding bi-amping- amps like the GK800rb have that crossover built into the amp- 300w goes to the lows and 100w goes to the high end.

What are you using for your bass amp?
                      *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                      Originally posted by Slash2987
                      Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                      Originally posted by PVFan
                      I'm a good sex man.
                      Originally posted by Grumpy
                      I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
                        At the same time?
                        Do you want to split the frequencies?
                        Yes at the same time. This Boss line selector looks interesting because it let's me do both amps A+B at the same time and then i just press the button and i only use one amp.
                        100% Bass player

Comment

Yes at the same time. This Boss line selector looks interesting because it let's me do both amps A+B at the same time and then i just press the button and i only use one amp.
                          Ok, good, that's out of the way. Now do you want to split the frequencies? I'm assuming not. If that is the case, then the line selector would do what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
                            Ok, good, that's out of the way. Now do you want to split the frequencies? I'm assuming not. If that is the case, then the line selector would do what you need.
                            It sounds interesting to split the freqs but i want to try before i buy.
                            100% Bass player

Comment

The SLP in the name is for super lead plexi, i think.
                              Defender of the Sonic faith.

Gibson SG Faded

Carvin Vintage 16 amp

http://www.lp.org

Comment

Working...
                              X