Location of Compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Location of Compressor

I've been placing my compressor after my overdrives in the signal chain, but the great Pete Cornish says in the latest edition of Guitarist magazine regarding his rule of thumb for effects order, "A compressor first, because that will even out the guitar's output. Any high-gain distortions come after that, then dropping down in gain as you go along."

I place my RMC3 wah first, then my Analog Man Sun Face (Arbiter Fuzz Face clone) per Analog Man's recommendation, then I do my overdrives followed by the compressor. I can see putting the compressor between the Sun Face and first overdrive, but I can't imagine putting it before the Sun Face (based on AM's recommendation) or before the wah. Has anyone tried any of these combinations? I'll have to experiment with them myself but I'm always looking for other's experiences.

- Keith
    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    I am just jug the merlot

Re: Location of Compressor

"Rules" that people come up with are just their expressions of their own opinions. If you believe that putting the compressor after your fuzz works better for you, that "rule" doesn't apply to you.
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
    Originally posted by Slash2987
    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
    Originally posted by PVFan
    I'm a good sex man.
    Originally posted by Grumpy
    I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Originally posted by The Golden Boy
      "Rules" that people come up with are just their expressions of their own opinions. If you believe that putting the compressor after your fuzz works better for you, that "rule" doesn't apply to you.
      Wait a minute here...Are you saying I can break the rules???
      I am just jug the merlot

Comment

let's start a rebellion against unwritten "rules"!

BC Rich Mockingbird (Gibson Iommi/stock PUP)
        Custom guitar (JB/Jazz)
        Marshall JCM900 50W Hi Gain Master Volume MKlll
        Laney GH100TI Tony Iommi signature amp
        Framus FR212 CB cabinet
        Marshall MG10CD (pretty crappy :laugh2: )
        Line6 Toneport UX2
        Rocktron Heart Attack

Comment

Sure you can break the rules. It's just good to know them first.

Comment

Sure you can break the rules. It's just good to know them first.
            Amen!

If it was my setup then I'd look at - Comp - Wah - O/D(s) - Fuzz. At least I'd try that first I mean. I'd be hesitant to move the compressor anywhere but first in the signal, but then I tend to be very conservative with pedal placement.

I do agree with everyone here saying that whatever works for you is the best way to do things, but argue with Pete Cornish about pedal placement!?! That's practically the same thing as opposing Stephen Hawkin's theories on physics.

The theory is that you're making any boost from your O/D's redundant by following them with a compressor. Simple as that. And everyone knows that all modulation and time based effects 'should' come after any OD/distortion/fuzz. So really the theory of compressor first comes about by default.
            Guitars:
            Epi LP (SH-11b + SH-55n)
            Danelectro U2 '56 Reissue
            Yamaha APX5LA
            Pedals:
            MXR Super Comp, HBE Power Screamer, Toadworks Death Rattle, Carl Martin Crunch Drive, Boss CE-2, Marshall Ed The Compressor, Marshall Drivemaster, Arion EQ, Bespeco Volume Pedal
            Amps:
            Fender Prosonic combo
            Marshall JTM60 combo

Comment

The thing about compression is that it evens everything out. Great for a rhythm tone that you want the same level of distortion on every note, but if you want to vary the distortion by picking dynamics and volume control the compressor will eliminate that ability.

That being said here's my order:

Wah, Compressor, Vibe, Phaser, Fuzz, Chorus -> amp -> Delay, Flanger

Of course I usually only plug maybe 3 in at a time depending on my mussical style of the moment.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

For me, I can't think of an effect that I would put in front of a compressor. Wait a minute, yes I can. I MIGHT put an EQ in front, dependent upon the resulting sound.

That's the point, I think. They're your ears and it's your tone. The vast majority of people will never really hear the difference because they don't have the opportunity to A/B them, so do what sounds good to you.
                Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

Trey Anastasio (among others) places his compressor after his overdrives. Perhaps that's so he can preserve the picking dynamics PF was referring to.
                  I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Working...
                  X