Mesa F-30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mesa F-30

I've played the Mesa, Marshall and Peavey quite a bit and to my ears, the F30 is just sweeter sounding stock.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

It really depends on your taste. The F-30 has a great clean channel like everyone here has said but the lead channel is iffy. It sounds like a cheap knockoff of a rectifier series mesa which i hate already. Like Desert said its choppy and i find it about as useful as a broken lightbulb. As for the DSL 401, I've heard mixed reviews and I didn't really think it was all that grand either. The fender deluxe series are IMO absolute garbage unless you change tubes, speakers and crank them up allll the way on the clean channel. They sound like dogsh!t. The classic 30 is the best out of all of them if you ask me. It sounds a little compressed and boxy due to the tiny cab but if you plug it into a different (bigger) cab with some new tubes it absolutely rips. Also the peavey can be had very cheap and it's well made and won't fail unless you treat it badly. I may throw another amp in as a contender and that's one of the traynor YCV series amps. I tried the 20 watt one and it sounded nowhere near as good as the 40 watter. Those can be had at a good price and Traynor will give u a new one (within the two year "unlimited warrantee" time) even if YOU break it! I'd give those a try before you get the Mesa or even the classic 30.

Comment

I have heard a lot of good things about the Traynors. Problem, no one within two hours drive from me carries them. From some of the other comments though, i may just be better off staying SS with house (not bedroom, i can get away with a little) volume.
        Gibson LP Traditional Plus - 57 classics
        Gibson LP Studio - Suhr Aldrich/490r
        Fender American Tele
        Epi 57 LP Jr. reissue - SD SP90-2
        Vox VT 60
        Vox AD30 Valvetronix

Comment

Ok, that is me playing with the F-30 and I DID played during the wee hours in the night with volume at 9 O'clock!!
          Good thing I didn't wake the neighbours up, however I must admit the clean TOTALLY ROCKs, however the OD didn't meet my demands.
          Tomorrow I'll be trying out for the DSL and check it out, I also found out that there is a MESA MARK IV available too today. I'll let you guys know, so your inputs are VERY crucial to me.

STAY TUNE

Thanks once again !!
          Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
          Gibson 1959 reissue
          Gibson 1960 reissue
          Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

MKIV has the F-30 beat for high gain tones by a big margin, IMO. But it's a very hard to dial in amp (moreso than most MESA's). Be prepared to spend more than a couple hours with it before you make a decision. Too complicated for me

I liked the F-50 combo quite abit, but the F-30 combo as I said is not terribly impressive...and I went in to buy the 30 at the time! Big difference in tone between those. But also, the F30 head through a good cab is a diff beast.

F-30 likely though will have the MKIV beat for cleans.
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by DesertRose

Ok, that is me playing with the F-30 and I DID played during the wee hours in the night with volume at 9 O'clock!!
              Good thing I didn't wake the neighbours up, however I must admit the clean TOTALLY ROCKs, however the OD didn't meet my demands.
              Tomorrow I'll be trying out for the DSL and check it out, I also found out that there is a MESA MARK IV available too today. I'll let you guys know, so your inputs are VERY crucial to me.

STAY TUNE

Thanks once again !!
              Mk IV OWNS the F-30 but if money is an issue...do what you can with what you've got.

Comment

Desertrose,
                could you tell me how the lead channel didn't meet your demands, as in what kind of tones are you trying to get?
                Fender American Tele
                Vox VT 60
                Vox AD30 Valvetronix

Comment

I"ve got an f-50 head, and even at bedroom volumes, IT ****ING OWNS!
                  Constantly wanting new gear...

Comment

Originally posted by smauk43
                    Desertrose,
                    could you tell me how the lead channel didn't meet your demands, as in what kind of tones are you trying to get?
                    I was trying out the F-30 for like 2hrs or so, trying to figure out things and such. I've got a friend with me also there, who took the picture for me and he owns a EVH 5150.

I like amps which produces the OD tone like the 5150. But I love the clean of the F-30
                    Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
                    Gibson 1959 reissue
                    Gibson 1960 reissue
                    Gibson EDS-1275

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB
                      I liked the F-50 combo quite abit, but the F-30 combo as I said is not terribly impressive...and I went in to buy the 30 at the time! Big difference in tone between those.
                      I should have mentioned this. The F-50 is much better than the 30. I thought the 30 was a decent amp (can't say I've been terribly impressed by Marshall's ATV series, Peavey's OD on the Classic 30 and the like), but the F-50 might be much more what you're looking for.

If high gain is your thing, these guys are right, the Mk IV is a killer amp. It takes a while to tweak, but once you have it dialed in, it's a pretty killer head (just ask the guys from Lamb of God).
                      Originally posted by kevlar3000
                      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                      Originally posted by Zerberus
                      Better is often the enemy of good
                      Originally posted by ginormous
                      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Nite_Maresz_25
                        I"ve got an f-50 head, and even at bedroom volumes, IT ****ING OWNS!

You say it owns for everything, You'd suggest it to a 90 year old with alzhiemers who has a 52 tele and just wants to play rockabilly licks at low volume.

And since when did you get it working? I wana hear clips dude.
                        Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

Thanks for your information desertrose. That may be better for me, the 5150 is probably a little too high gain for me. I'm just looking for AC/DC, other 80;s type gain is all.
                          Fender American Tele
                          Vox VT 60
                          Vox AD30 Valvetronix

Comment

Latest news, just gone to check out a MARSHALL DSL401.
                            The Clean sounds good, the OD is pretty similar to the F-30
                            Sound between the F-30, the clean is better for the F-30. OD sounds almost simliar
                            Weight, both weighs a ton
                            Money wise, MESA is twice the amount of the DSL 401.

My preference, MARSHALL DSL 401.
                            I'm checking out the MARK IV later, stay tune !

Thanks for all the input. More are welcome, looks like most people still prefer the MARK IV even at bedroom volume. =)
                            Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
                            Gibson 1959 reissue
                            Gibson 1960 reissue
                            Gibson EDS-1275

Comment

Last amp of the day to test. Its the MESA MARK III. The one in white just beside me.
                              Its a cool amp, tweak and meddle and whatever. Push and pull knobs, EQ added, 4x6L6s, 5x12AX7, all that you need is in the rock, switchable to 15 watts from 75watts, it goes REAL loud at 8 O clock depending on the gain.

My verdict between, F-30, DSL-401 and MESA MARK III .........

Mesa Mark III
                              That will be my choice, unless it gets sold away. Thanks to ALL who had input their opinions and suggestions. God bless you guys
                              Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
                              Gibson 1959 reissue
                              Gibson 1960 reissue
                              Gibson EDS-1275

Comment

Originally posted by DesertRose
                                Mesa Mark III
                                Sometimes I'm so smart....

Comment

Working...