Vox Valvetronix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox Valvetronix

I played one at the store yesterday and was pleasantly suprised with the tone and feel of the amp. I also played a Fender DRRI and I loved the tone it had, but the valvetronix had so many good tones to choose from. I'm having a dilemma......which amp? The Valvetronix was the 50 watt version with the simple footswitch...should I opt for the DRRI, 50 watt or go for the 60 watt version with the capability of using the better floor switch ? I play all sorts of music...Blues, country, classic rock. Any input would be helpful. I'm gonna trade my f-30 in on one of these amps. Thanks........Joe
    Originally posted by tone4days
    we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Re: Vox Valvetronix

Originally posted by bungalowbill
    I played one at the store yesterday and was pleasantly suprised with the tone and feel of the amp. I also played a Fender DRRI and I loved the tone it had, but the valvetronix had so many good tones to choose from. I'm having a dilemma......which amp? The Valvetronix was the 50 watt version with the simple footswitch...should I opt for the DRRI, 50 watt or go for the 60 watt version with the capability of using the better floor switch ? I play all sorts of music...Blues, country, classic rock. Any input would be helpful. I'm gonna trade my f-30 in on one of these amps. Thanks........Joe
    Do a search under Valvetronix for reviews from myself and others....I own the VTX 120 head that I run into either the matching AD 212 cab or a Marshall V30 4x12...Love mine!
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

you're going to trade in your F-30. Can i ask why? i was testing an F-30 at the local store last weekend, and am giving it another go tomorrow, that and a Marshall DSL. I have the 30 watt Valvetronix, not necessarily gonna sell it, but it makes me wonder, something you don' t like about the F-30. I just like as many opinions as i can get, especially since I've never owned a tube amp before. I like my Vox as well, i just thought of adding something a little more "plug and play", rather than "plug and tweak". I'm worried about the F-30 at house volume though, in my astonishment of playing it in the sound room, I never really turned it down to a house volume, that's what I'll do tomorrow. I'm not talking about midnight bedroom level, I do have the whole house to play in.
      Gibson LP Traditional Plus - 57 classics
      Gibson LP Studio - Suhr Aldrich/490r
      Fender American Tele
      Epi 57 LP Jr. reissue - SD SP90-2
      Vox VT 60
      Vox AD30 Valvetronix

Comment

Originally posted by smauk43
        you're going to trade in your F-30. Can i ask why? i was testing an F-30 at the local store last weekend, and am giving it another go tomorrow, that and a Marshall DSL. I have the 30 watt Valvetronix, not necessarily gonna sell it, but it makes me wonder, something you don' t like about the F-30. I just like as many opinions as i can get, especially since I've never owned a tube amp before. I like my Vox as well, i just thought of adding something a little more "plug and play", rather than "plug and tweak". I'm worried about the F-30 at house volume though, in my astonishment of playing it in the sound room, I never really turned it down to a house volume, that's what I'll do tomorrow. I'm not talking about midnight bedroom level, I do have the whole house to play in.
        You have to crank an F-30 for it to sound decent. The thing that bothers me about the amp is the lead channel is too high gain and it's hard to get a nice slightly overdriven blues tone on the amp. The gain controls are very sensitive and the amp is way loud for a 2 EL84 amp. If you don't like to tweak, an F-30 may not be the amp you are looking for.

Comment

Since I've got some good tube amps, I find the best use for the Valvetronix is the luxury of having good tones at useable volumes, for playing at home. The onboard tuner, FX, and variable wattage selector are my favorite features. Using the OD models, you can really shape the gain structure on all the models, and the mini-tube power section makes it feel better under the fingers.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Thanks for the info Bungalowbill, I figured it was gonna be too loud. Can't have the neighbors across the street come knockin' on the door.
            Fender American Tele
            Vox VT 60
            Vox AD30 Valvetronix

Comment

If you're going to get the VT, get the 60 or 120 VTX or head version. They're much better sounding.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Believe it or not, I started on drums. Then I decided to become a musician.

Comment

Originally posted by mnbaseball91
                If you're going to get the VT, get the 60 or 120 VTX or head version. They're much better sounding.
                Thanks for the info. I'm gonna give 'em a go at the music store today.

Comment

Originally posted by mnbaseball91
                  yup...the 50 watt is not bad due to the 12" speaker, but the 30 and 15 are...meh....

Def upgrade to the 60/120.
                  I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I think JeffB is correct, the 30 I have is exactly.....meh.... It's okay, I have played the 50 and it does have a better "sound", but I haven't played the VTX series yet. The Tech 21 TM60 is also now on my to play list since I'm probably gonna forgo the tube due to volume issues.

Let us know how the VTX goes could ya Bungalow, the place i am going to today is out of them right now.
                    Fender American Tele
                    Vox VT 60
                    Vox AD30 Valvetronix

Comment

I like mine for very low volume practice, but it can't replace the house shakeing power of my peavey. Which yes, I do use it cranked ALL THE WAY in a tiney 10x12 room without hearing protection.

I think the vox would be killer if it has a closed 2x12 cab and about 120-200watts. But the 30watts just aren't enough, it sounds like its whispering at full volume.That said, the models are killer and some of the most realistic and non-werid sounding I've heard from a modeler.
                      Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

When I was in the market for a modeling amp, it came down to the Vox Valvetronix or a Roland Cube. I played the AD50 and was not impressed, so I went with the Cube (and it served well as my main amp for almost a year). A couple months ago, I tried an AD60VTX combo and was absolutely blown away. I did a direct comparrison between the JCM 800 model and an actual JCM 800. The Vox sounded SO much better at manageable volumes. The recto model is also much better on the VTX than the VT, and the 60/120 both come with a lot of extra features.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Believe it or not, I started on drums. Then I decided to become a musician.

Comment

I ended up with the AD50VT. It has got good tone and a closed back cabinet with a celestion in it. I'm gonna spend some quality time with it tomorrow. Thanks for all the input folks, I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                          X