Bogner Ubershall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bogner Ubershall

I'm currently running a Mesa Triple Rectifier and a Marshall JCM 2000 in stereo together. It sounds good, don't get me wrong, but its a lot of gear. I've been looking at Bogner Ubershalls and was wondering what anyone thinks of them. I've played an ecstacy and it was great and am just thinking a little more gain would be good. What is a realistic price I could get the head and a bogner cab for? I'm thinking that selling both my half stacks and buying a bogner in order to cut down on complexity and bulkiness wouldn't be such a bad thing. Any thoughts? The only thing I don't like about the Bogner is that its only two channels.
    DayGlo

Re: Bogner Ubershall

The Uberschall is the king of metal amps, for huge crushing gain and nice fat clean channel. The only downside is it's 2 channels, and the gain channel is hard to get dialed down into medium gain.

The Ecstasy, in my opinion, is the best EL-34 amp ever made. It's similar to a modeling amp, in that you have to own it and learn it.....you can't just hear it in the store for a half hour. The cleans are Fender to JTM 45. It has PLENTY of gain on tap, and the blue channel can cover the entire history of Marshall by itself. The Red channel can be anything from a clean plexi all the way to Dimebag type of gain. No other amp can be morphed like the Ecstasy, not even a Diezel. If you ever try an Ecstasy again, make sure you're aware of the Pre EQ switches above the gain knobs. Click that to the highest gain EQ,
    The Structure switch will configure the amp between a highgain vintage Marshall tone or a crushing Mesa type gain. Flick that to the High position for increased gain, and also the boost switch ON. With all of that, you're already at extreme gain with your gain knob on 5!!! With the gain up to 7 or 8, you've got a huge fat superdistorted lead tone with endless sustain.......and you'll notice that Bogners don't need tone-killing noisegates because they're extremely quiet amps, even on extreme gain settings. THAT'S why they cost so much....its the small details that make it a superior design to other multi channel amps.
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 09-17-2005, 01:38 PM.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

any thoughts on the difference between the ecstasy 101b and the classic?

I've been researching the two, and would love to pick one up when I can find a good used one.
      thereveling.com

Comment

You'd like either the 101B or the Classic, but the Classic seems harder under the fingers, and I think they strip away some of the features. Personally, I like the 101B better, because the natural power tube compression makes it sound better at lower volumes, whereas the Classic may sound colder at low volumes.

Comment

I tried a Uberschall and a VHT 100CL when I was amp shopping a couple years ago. I ended up going with the 100CL and have never regretted it. With the 100CL you can go from Plexi-like tones on the green channel to death metal tones on the red channel. It also is loaded with features similar to the XTC- 1/2 power, A/AB modes, Boost (footswitchable), Edge, and tone shift. The 100CL is a little less expensive than the Bogner and is basically the same animal with more features. VHT is first rate gear built like a damn tank.
          MY MUSIC

When the going get's tough I get a machinegun.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
            You'd like either the 101B or the Classic, but the Classic seems harder under the fingers, and I think they strip away some of the features. Personally, I like the 101B better, because the natural power tube compression makes it sound better at lower volumes, whereas the Classic may sound colder at low volumes.

Right now I am using a DSL...would I be able to get a similiar tones/levels of gain out of the ecstasy?

Obviously I will be looking to get better tones out of it as well, but am just curious if it can mimick the DSL.
            thereveling.com

Comment

The Bogner blue channel can cover both the clean and gain channels of the DSL.
              The main difference is the Bogner has a more throaty and thicker sound. As far as gain, it's very similar, but the DSL will give you one shade of highgain, while the Ecstasy will let you morph that actual tone of it's gain........meaning it can sound more like a Marshall, Soldano, or Mesa, depending on where mini switches are set.

Comment

Cool, thats what I figured. I'm still trying to find a shop that has an ecstasy in stock so I can try one out. Even the bogner dealer in NYC only carry shiva's...you have to special order anything else.

I am going back and forth between the 101b and classic...I think I might like the more "open" classic version better. I really wish I could A/B them.

I might end up just having to buy a used one before trying it. From the clips I've heard and research I've done, it seems like the perfect amp for me.
                thereveling.com

Comment

Originally posted by mr breaker
                  I might end up just having to buy a used one before trying it. From the clips I've heard and research I've done, it seems like the perfect amp for me.
                  There's very few places in LA that have all the Bogners. The first time I heard them was in 1995 at Make'n'Music, and it really bummed me out because I was broke as hell, and I knew it was the best amp.....I wanted one badly.
                  I went through a bunch of amps, even a few boutiques after that, then finally found a used one on www.recycler.com I sold all my amps that week, and begged the guy to sell it to me for $2000, but we agreed on $2175.
                  I'd never sell mine. I'd sell all my guitars before I'd sell the Ecstasy. That amp is like my right arm.

Comment

( )
                    GJ, when looking through your 'gear fun house' ( ) I noticed 2 bogners, are they both Ecstasies? IIRC one of them is an unserial numbered one right? what about hte other one?
                    Constantly wanting new gear...

Comment

Working...
                    X