Ever play an 18 watt Marshall clone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever play an 18 watt Marshall clone?

I've heard a few samples of some 18 watt Marshall clones at differant sites and offhand I was pretty impressed with what I was hearing. Does anybody here own one, or have you at least tried one? Just trying to get peoples opinions on what's out there as I'm thinking of checking some out. Thanks.

Re: Ever play an 18 watt Marshall clone?

I use a Soultone 18 watt clone, simply stated it's the best marshall tone I've ever had and I can actually turn the amp up at a gig!!! Click on he link to go to the website.

Happy hunting.

You might want to check out Scott's website as well, I'm not sure if he has an 18 watt marshall clone but it's worth a look.

Soultone Amplification

Comment

there is a recent page over on the gear page about the 18 watt Marshall ... some people commented that the GDS clone sounds better

I've heard the Marshall twice - once with Gearjoneser at the LA Amp Show, and again when jeremy tried the head in Santa Barbara. Both times I felt the bass was weak.

some like them, though
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

I store near me has both reissues-the head and 1x12 combo. The 1x12 combo sounded better than the head through a 4x12 for some reason. It just sounded thin. the Dr. Z Maz blew it away through a similar cabinet.

They really are one trick ponies and only sound good on 10 (or is it 11 with Marshalls)
        Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Comment

Thanks, guys. As long as the pony does the one trick great is fine because whatever I might get I only plan on using for OD/distorted sounds. Right now I'm just experimenting with a pedal thru my Carvin V16 amp and although the tone isn't quite there I'll tell ya, it kicks like I can't believe! Unbelievable balls!

Comment

i think the head is slightly different than the combo?

a friend of mine had/has, not sure havent seen him in a while, a blockhead 18w and i love the thing. has a g12h-30w speaker and isnt that loud but boy the tone is great. ive also tried a "first born" blockhead with two alnico blues and it was amazing, louder than the other one and a little chimey-er.

never tried the marshall combo but the head that curly was talking about wasnt worth the price. i cant remeber what cab it was going thru, probably not the best choice but some one would have to convince me before id look into one

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
              i think the head is slightly different than the combo?
              Yup.

The head is a 20 watt guitar & bass amp....the combo is the 18 watter...they are two different amps.

I thought they bought sound awesome..considering they are tubed w/ EL84s However some of the clones I've heard sound as good or better for less $.

It's a very appealing tone....kind of a bridge between a plexi and a vox...
              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I've played two different GDS 18 watt clones and they are all that.
                www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
                www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
                http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

The only one I've tried was the Marshall 1987X handwired. Cool amp, nice tone, I wouldn't buy it.
                  || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
                    I've played two different GDS 18 watt clones and they are all that.
                    What are these GDS amps? Those and the Blockheads the Jeremy mentioned?

Comment

ive never played a gds but heres the site

heres blockhead

Comment

Don't forget 65 Amps from my buddy Peter.
                        Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                        Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Graydon has been building amps for awhile now and also has 18 watt kits available. I first played one of his 18 watters at the Detroit guitar show a couple of years ago after hearing all the whoop about the 18 watters on the LPF.

A bonus is that Graydon is in Flint and easily accessable. He's also a great guy.
                          www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
                          www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
                          http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

I tried one of the Marshall handwired 18-watters, and I really liked it, but I ended up buying a Bad Cat Cub II because it offered a wider pallette of tones at different volumes.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp
                              Don't forget 65 Amps from my buddy Peter.
                              Evan,
                              even though they're 2-EL84s & 18 watts, I just don't think of them as a Marshall clone.

When Gearjoneser and I went to the LA Amp Show, those were one of the most impressive amps there - my favorite, actually. Incredible amps that you'd never guess were only 18 watts. Just magic.
                              "music heals"
                              facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X