banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am finished with being a namebrand snob.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I am finished with being a namebrand snob.

Originally posted by jeremy
    i like those crate amps, i dont think the gc v32 is much different than the normal crate v30
    Here's what I found from a HC review about the difference. I did notice that th V32 has a celestion.

"This is the Crate V32 (gold hardware and blond vynl) exclusive to guitar center. Its the same thing as the V30, except polymino speaker and tube reverb and blond." -HC reviewer

Do you have one of these Jeremy?

Greg
    I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

I've played a Crate V30H with the matching 2x12 (Tone Tubby speakers) side by side with a Marshall 1987X handwired....and based on tone I would buy the Crate first. I honestly felt that it sounded better.
      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

At the end of the day, if killer tones are flying out of that speaker and melting faces, it won't even occur to other players that they should laugh at your amp. It will all be "Dude, how are getting that SOUND???"
        Generic signature line.

Comment

B Bent, is the V30/V32 a good clean amp? How would it compare to a Twin Reverb?
          7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Yup, those V series are really sweet. I want the V3112 with a Tone Tubby. It's almost another $100 to get it with the Tone Tubby but well worth it IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by B Bent
              quite honestly would be too loud for my use.
              I say over and over how loud these amps are and no one ever believes me.

Sorry you didn't like the Z's. The tone stack is kind of hard to get used to, and without help in a store it can be frustrating.

Glad you liked the Crate, they really are making some good sounding stuff these days. Ampegs are still top notch too!

Luke
              “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by joelap
                B Bent, is the V30/V32 a good clean amp? How would it compare to a Twin Reverb?
                I am a clean fanatic. That's the first thing I do when I sit down in front of an amp is to dial in the best sounding clean I can and then go from there. Given this I approached the V32 the same way and I must say again I really liked it!! I just happened to switch channels pretty quick and whale away on some crunchy rythyms!!! I spent more of my time while in GC diggin it's breakup. As far as clean it sounded nice, nowhere near the headroom of a Twin (30 watts...EL84s). I am glad you asked me to compare it to a Twin since my ear adores the clean of a Twin and I always seem to catch myself basing my clean EQ on the sound I hear in my head from Twins I have had in the past. While the reverb was better than i ever imagined it was not a Twin. It wasn't as lush or as springy or splashy or deep..(sorry those were the only 3 words I could think of to describe what a Twins reverb sounds like). I really dig John Mayers reverb on his version of "The Wind Cries Mary" I have always enjoyed playing muted chords through a Twin with the reverb blasted!! I couldn't quite get that out of this amp. I plan on going back soon and taking my guitar and give it a thorough head to toe.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke
                  I say over and over how loud these amps are and no one ever believes me.

Sorry you didn't like the Z's. The tone stack is kind of hard to get used to, and without help in a store it can be frustrating.

Luke

Luke,
                  I loved the Z's and the tones, but I just would never be able to get it that loud. My Blues Jr. is 15 watts and is not even in the same galaxy as the 18 watt Maz Jr. i know that if I spent more time with it I would find the Z useful, but I think for only a third of the price the Crate would rock my world!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DesertRose
                    Gordon's new to me. first time i heard about it. How's it look like
                    mostly based on classic gibson designs, but they are built to withstand absolutely anything.. glued in necks, usually everything made of mahogany

tom

Comment

Do they have these amps in 50watts or higher and 212 combos?
                      7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Originally posted by joelap
                        Do they have these amps in 50watts or higher and 212 combos?
                        Yes, there's a VFX5212, 50 watt 2X12 combo with built in effects.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
                          Yes, there's a VFX5212, 50 watt 2X12 combo with built in effects.
                          But... I think they run EL34s instaed of the EL84 of the V30&V32.

Comment

Originally posted by B Bent
                            But... I think they run EL34s instaed of the EL84 of the V30&V32.
                            Yeah, and it's Class A/B where the others are Class A.

Comment

Well, my take is this, Crate has just as many people as any other company designing their amps, and those people are just as talented, ect. so I'd give them as much credit as the next guy.

But, you have to admit, when you're playing out in front of people (non-guitarists gear heads ) and they see the words Marshall, or Mesa, ect, they give you that much more credit as a musician.

Comment

Well, if it's any indication, Marty Friedman is using Crates now, so does Billy Gibbons (V Series), Sammy Hagar, Joe Walsh (acoustic), Richie Blackmore (acoustic), Vernon Reid, the list goes on. That's credible enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X