You Guys Like The MXR EVH Phase 90?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Guys Like The MXR EVH Phase 90?

I bought one to mess around with and it's pretty cool....Looked on the circuit board and the darn thing has micro-circuit technology! I tryed playing with the trimmer adjustment on mine and I found I Liked the stock trimmer setting the best..I thought this pedal might be an expensive collectable someday and so I've added one to my growing pedal collection...
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Re: You Guys Like The MXR EVH Phase 90?

I tried one and wasn't overly impressed. The block setting sounded just like my orange one (pre-mods) and the script setting was so-so to me. Not 100% script but in the ballpark. My orange one is modded to get me in the ballpark anyway so I'm happy with it. I knew that thing would be surface mount. The ZW-44 is too. Pretty much everything of theirs is that way now.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
      I tried one and wasn't overly impressed. The block setting sounded just like my orange one (pre-mods) and the script setting was so-so to me. Not 100% script but in the ballpark. My orange one is modded to get me in the ballpark anyway so I'm happy with it. I knew that thing would be surface mount. The ZW-44 is too. Pretty much everything of theirs is that way now.
      The EVH Phase 90 is warm on the script setting...Also..the trimmer adjustment makes alot of difference in not only the quality and character of the phase,but it also can brighten or darken up the phase tone a bit..I Like my vintage EH Small Stone phaser better though.
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I'm really curious about something, maybe one of you with the EVH Phase 90 could help me out. After trying one out I found that the Block mode was the usual rubbish, and the Script mode sounded very similar to my own Phase 90 with the R28 mod (cutting out feedback resistor). I'm curious if the EVH model's little button is just switching R28 in and out... (though it does have a sweet paint job )

Comment

Originally posted by mind_transplant
          I'm really curious about something, maybe one of you with the EVH Phase 90 could help me out. After trying one out I found that the Block mode was the usual rubbish, and the Script mode sounded very similar to my own Phase 90 with the R28 mod (cutting out feedback resistor). I'm curious if the EVH model's little button is just switching R28 in and out... (though it does have a sweet paint job )

Well, I've been told there is more to R28 in that switch. And in all truthfulness, there is A LOT more than pulling that resistor to make a current reissue sound like an original script.

Comment

I bought one a while back...have to say I liked it enough to get rid of my old 80s Boss Phaser....def cool....I hd an old MXR ages ago (before the boss), but I really can't remember if this new one sounds as good or not.

Me likey tho... only stomper I have left. Sold everything else to TGWIF and PedalGuru.
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I've read that the switch on the EVH P90 isn't just switching R28 in and out...There's 2 other capacitors guys talk about that also get tweaked...I think the script mode on the EVH phaser sounds fine..It's a very occassional pedal to use anyway..

Comment

I like mine a lot. It is a very subtle phaser and it sounds really great on the clean channel also... It is obviously perfect if you are going for the EVH tone. It isn't true bypass but I can tell no difference in tone whatsoever when it is off- I was ready to return it if it would have changed the tone while off but it didn't. I think it is an excellent phaser for under $130.

MY MUSIC

When the going get's tough I get a machinegun.

Comment

Originally posted by RGN
                  I like mine a lot. It is a very subtle phaser and it sounds really great on the clean channel also... It is obviously perfect if you are going for the EVH tone. It isn't true bypass but I can tell no difference in tone whatsoever when it is off- I was ready to return it if it would have changed the tone while off but it didn't. I think it is an excellent phaser for under $130.

I payed $99 for mine and I thought that was a decent price for one...The graphics alone are worth the price.I think it will be a collectable some day soon,probably soon after Eddy leaves us with cancer or etc....LOL

Hope not,but the guy has a bad track record and still doesn't take good care of himself!

Comment

On a related topic... what does everyone think of the phase 100? I love that classic phase 90 sound but i wish it had more controllability sometimes.

Comment

Pretty cool pedal. I use mine mainly in the 'script' mode. Nice warm Phase 90 sound for the VHish kind of stuff, but what I really enjoy is moving the knob up to the 12 O'Clock position. Now that's some swirly sweetness!
                      Not a 5150 Kramer, but a 5149 1/2 Shamer
                      www.bigmouthbetty.com

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                        I've read that the switch on the EVH P90 isn't just switching R28 in and out...There's 2 other capacitors guys talk about that also get tweaked...I think the script mode on the EVH phaser sounds fine..It's a very occassional pedal to use anyway..
                        I bet it's the same 2 caps that have been getting pulled for a while, C11 and C12. I've done that to mine as well and then had to adjust R7 to get unity gain. It sounds perfect now. I did adjust the trimer before but I didn't like the results. It got too subtle too fast, almost like a Phase 45.

Comment

the MXR 90 only has one control knob. Is one control really enough?
                          Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
                          -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                            I payed $99 for mine and I thought that was a decent price for one...The graphics alone are worth the price.I think it will be a collectable some day soon,probably soon after Eddy leaves us with cancer or etc....LOL

Hope not,but the guy has a bad track record and still doesn't take good care of himself!
                            You paid 99 bucks .. thats kindda cheap. My local store is selling for 170 bucks. Gosh ..
                            Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
                            Gibson 1959 reissue
                            Gibson 1960 reissue
                            Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

err.. US man... he's talking about US.. unless you already did the conversion.

Comment

Working...
                              X