Need an OD/Dist for a JCM800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an OD/Dist for a JCM800

The guitarist in my band plays a single channel 100 watt JCM 800 (2203?) halfstack. His guitars are a stock Fender Cyclone and a Tom Delonge Strat (with Invader). He's been using a stock Boss DS-1 for distortion, but it sounds like ass. We've managed to get around the swarm of angry bees effect, but the biggest problem is now the massive volume drop that happens when the pedal is switched on. Regardless of battery strength and pedal settings, especially with the high-output of the Invader, the volume level of the amp drops a ton when the pedal is switched on.

This is my two-part questoin: What causes the drop, and what OD/Distortion boxes are suitable? We play a wide range of music, but most of it comes back to a Green Day meets Metallica sort of sound. He's been interested in the Zakk OD, but hasn't had a chance to play anything yet. I don't think modding this pedal will get what he needs, but I could be wrong.

So, suggestions are appreciated. Thank you much.

Re: Need an OD/Dist for a JCM800

Here's a few choices.

- Have the DS-1 modded.
    - Get an SD-1 (mods can be done too if necessary)
    - The Zakk Wylde OD

The Wylde will push that amp to the edge of insanity. What also may work for him is just a simple booster to slam the front end of the amp.

The volume drop could be from too much distorted signal from the pedal to the amp causing the amp to overly compress. Try this with the DS-1 first. Turn the drive all the way down and the level all the way up, adjust the tone to taste.

Comment

Alot of guys back in the 80s used both the MXR D+ or the Boss Heavy Metal HM2 through their 800s to get tight,ballsy crunch...Another consideration might be a THD Hot Plate,Alessandro,or the MASS unit to attenuate your buddy's amp? A Tube Screamer in front never hurts either.
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
        Here's a few choices.

- Have the DS-1 modded.
        - Get an SD-1 (mods can be done too if necessary)
        - The Zakk Wylde OD

The Wylde will push that amp to the edge of insanity. What also may work for him is just a simple booster to slam the front end of the amp.

The volume drop could be from too much distorted signal from the pedal to the amp causing the amp to overly compress. Try this with the DS-1 first. Turn the drive all the way down and the level all the way up, adjust the tone to taste.
        Tried that, actually. The best tone to come out of that pedal is with the distortion at 0 or 1, and the level all the way up. I'm not sure if this particular pedal is just a lemon or what, but it's always so damn low.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom M
          Tried that, actually. The best tone to come out of that pedal is with the distortion at 0 or 1, and the level all the way up. I'm not sure if this particular pedal is just a lemon or what, but it's always so damn low.
          A stock Taiwanese DS1 is very bright and buzzy...I hate the mosquito like crap that rides over notes especially...
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

boss sd-1 stock or moded
            ibanez ts-9 stock or moded
            or a power brake of some kind
            Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
            Suhr OD-50
            Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

Yea i got my SD-1 from Mr. John Spina (modded of course) and i put it in front of my Laney.. does exactly what i wanted. Problem was i was looking into distortion pedals when i should have been looking at OD pedals. I bet he can get a modded SD-1 for you cheaper than a ZW pedal.
              Guitars: Jackson Black Flametop SLSMG FullShred(A8)/FullShred w/Tonepros bridge
              Fernandes Revolver Pro 7-String, BKP Painkiller(A8)
              Amp: Laney VH100R and Splawn 2x12 cab
              Effects: John Spina modded SD-1, Morley Bad Horsie Wah, MXR 10-band EQ (OLD version)
              Recording/Practice: Line 6 Guitar Port

Comment

Originally posted by suislidE03
                Yea i got my SD-1 from Mr. John Spina (modded of course) and i put it in front of my Laney.. does exactly what i wanted. Problem was i was looking into distortion pedals when i should have been looking at OD pedals. I bet he can get a modded SD-1 for you cheaper than a ZW pedal.
                I don't buy the pedals though and I don't have any to sell...Guys just send me their pedals,I Mod them,and then send them back..

Comment

I used a Hughes/Kettner Tube Factor with my 2204. It sounded great for live performance. It has 2 styles of distortion, a frequency knob and true bypass. A lot of serious Marshall guys seem to like it.
                  https://www.bandmix.com/stevereed/

Comment

I found that The stock OD for a Marshall amp needs an EQ to boost its capabilities. The beauty of it is that it gives the Marshall-ish sound, and the rest is for me to play around with
                    Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
                    Gibson 1959 reissue
                    Gibson 1960 reissue
                    Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

Working...
                    X