Amps that are NOT! single coil friendly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amps that are NOT! single coil friendly

Anybody else experience this problem? My Laney converted to a 2204 sounds amazing with any Humbucker guitar I have, But I plug my Strat in it sound's hollow and flat? I've had this problem with other Marshall's B4, But that was useally to bright and shrill. 1st thing I'm gonna do is change the speaker (right now it's a Peavey Alnico) Maybe Not a bad speaker but wrong
    for this application. Next I may have to mess with the tone stack? (i.e.) take
    the .068uF out and try a .022uF. I already tried a few different tubes in VI.
    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Re: Amps that are NOT! single coil friendly

I've had the same problem only in reverse. My 1973 fender pro reverb sounds like God with single coils but not so good with humbuckers. My guess is that it has to do with the difference in the Z of the pups.

Comment

I've found that most BF Fenders don't sound as good with humbuckers as they do singles. They don't sound bad....just not as chimey and open (which is the way I like my cleans).

Comment

Hughes & Kettner Triamp. The cleans needed the thickness of a humbucker to really round out the channel (otherwise it was a bit too thin for my taste). The overdrive and distortion channels also took to humbuckers, but singles just weren't completely there.

Bad Cat Hot Cat. This amp had the thin, jangly bright clean tones and a thin, raw distortion channel so humbuckers are a necessity.

Both of those amps had to go because I love single coils too much than to settle with an amp that couldn't rock with them.
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Those amps may require beefier single coils to get good tone. For vintage pickups I guess usually fender amps work best with them or older vintage style amps.
          Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
          Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
          Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
          Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
          Fender Frontman 15g
          Cry Baby
          Boss DS-2
          Boss CE-3
          Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Some may disagree, but I don't think modeling amps sound that great with single coils.
            Solid state tends to be a little noisier, which exacerbates the natural single coil hum, and the size of the tone is a little narrower than most tube amps. If I unplug a strat or tele from any modeling amp, then plug it into a Fender tube amp, it's like night and day.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
              Some may disagree, but I don't think modeling amps sound that great with single coils.
              Solid state tends to be a little noisier, which exacerbates the natural single coil hum, and the size of the tone is a little narrower than most tube amps. If I unplug a strat or tele from any modeling amp, then plug it into a Fender tube amp, it's like night and day.
              I've found the same thing to be true, too, much to my chagrin. It's as if the modeling amps need to be pushed harder to sound like the tones that they're modeling, and only humbuckers get the job done properly.
              Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

I had a MusicMan amp (RD 112) from the early -80s. Sounded great with my Les Paul, but my Strat sounded thin and dirty. I´ve heard that Leo and the other guys at MusicMan used a Les Paul when they were testing the amp, because Leo had signed a contract saying that he should not be involved in competing products for 10 years. Even after that period he was careful. Finally I changed to a Fender Blues Deville, and suddenly all my guitars sounded great.
                Last edited by adrian; 09-24-2005, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                  I agree for the most part and was going to post pretty much the same thing.

The only modeler that my strats have sounded decent through are the Valvetronix, and I think that's just cos the closed back adds a bit of punch. The POD XTL is too finicky. I was able to dial a great Blackmoor and great early 80s Gary Moore tone on the XTL at low volume but they would just fall apart at above "TV level".
                  I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I have noticed this phenomanon with my Mesa Mark IV, my Ibanez 335 sounds perfect while my strat sounds a bit thin.
                    Gives me a good excuse to pickup an old Bassman!!!!!
                    Loudriver
                    MIA Fender Deluxe Strat (Surfer Set/Custom Bridge)
                    MIJ Strat APS1/APS1/PATB-3
                    MIA Tele APTL-1/APTR-1
                    69' SF Bassman/ 212 Avatar Cab.
                    Ibanez LR10 Semi Hollow Body
                    Martin D28

Comment

Going along with SlyFoxx's direction, I've found that my Vox AC30 sounds way better with single coils than it does with humbuckers when I'm going for a clean sound. The humbuckers just don't clean up through the Vox.
                      Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                      I am just jug the merlot

Comment

I've had great success with my single coils through my Vetta--as long as I've taken the time to program the patch with the strat. My Carl Martin Plexitone pedal however...awesome with my humbuckers, unfrigginbelievably bad with the strats.
                        My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
                        or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
                        http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
                        700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Originally posted by loudriver23
                          I have noticed this phenomanon with my Mesa Mark IV, my Ibanez 335 sounds perfect while my strat sounds a bit thin.
                          Gives me a good excuse to pickup an old Bassman!!!!!
                          Loudriver
                          I played a '72 strat into a Mk IV and it was fu*ckin badass sounding. I could rip artificial harmonics out of any fret on any string. I've never had a setup that could do that but i think about that tone every day.

Comment

My new vox cooltron big ben od sounds much better with singles than humbuckers.

My Vibrolux can be a little tubby clean with humbuckers. I think the thinner blackface sound is the way to go if you want fender cleans with humbuckers.
                            Originally posted by Jolly
                            ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Is this it: I read where the real difference, in the 60's, between Fender amps and Gibson and others, was that Fender were originally the only high gain amps built to compensate for the lower output of their single coil strats and tele's. Gibson built their amps specifically with lower gain for higher output humbuckers. If that was really true back then, is it still true today?
                              Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
                              -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Working...
                              X