Why Am I Building So Many Pedals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Am I Building So Many Pedals?

Cause it's fun and I can! It's become another obsession of mine lately....Here is my latest pedal that I've copied off JD's GGG website...I bring you the "Blue Magic" pedal....Sought of like a more transparent Tube Screamer but with a throaty tone and the mids are different..The mica caps give the pedal an almost clear hi fi like tone that is crisp and clear...Very responsive to pick dynamics and cleaning up while you roll your volume back..Notice no distortion diodes and no opamp....One of these days I'll learn how to make decals for my pedals.. Also....I didn't get my LED exactly centered,but close enough for Rock N Roll...

Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Re: Why Am I Building So Many Pedals?

no distortion diodes and no opamp...where does the grit come from?
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
      no distortion diodes and no opamp...where does the grit come from?
      The Jfet's. Two of em' I believe?
      http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars

good call...I didn't even see those the first time!
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Post clips John!
          7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Originally posted by joelap
            Post clips John!
            No clips....Too much of a pain in the a$$...LOL
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Looks cool John. Now, you're giving me the bug.

I'm still hoping to squeeze in a trip down that way sometime, to play with some of your toys.

Artie

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars
                The pedal uses a Mosfet (BS170) driving a (J201) FET....Marshall used this technology in their "MOSFET" series years ago...The pedal sounds really good..Not at all compressed..Has a clear and articulate tone with some overall overdriven hair...

Comment

Whaoo...cool. How much for another?

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx
                    Whaoo...cool. How much for another?
                    Right now I'm just building different pedals for myself for some future ideas? It takes me quite a few hours to put 1 pedal together.I have to drill all the holes in the right places and make the circuit board,populate the board and get everything all wired up,and then hope it all works? My Phase 90 didn't work at first and I ended up buying the MXR EVH Phase 90...I then got the home made Phase 90 working really well and returned the MXR back to Musician's Friend...It's quite a timely affair to build the pedals..At some point I'll need to learn how to do the graphics on the outside of the pedals.The pedals are built to last many many years and I'm using the best components that I can both fit on the board and based on what values I can get to fit on the board also..
                    Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 09-25-2005, 09:09 PM.

Comment

very cool, John

your description makes it sound similar to a Barber Direct Drive

as far as the graphics, I'd say hand paint them, like Zvex
                      "music heals"
                      facebook

Comment

Buy a can of car rim paint from auto zone, the sparkley ****, to paint the pedal.

Then just take an exacto knife and a some masking tape, to shoot down graphics.
                        Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
                          very cool, John

your description makes it sound similar to a Barber Direct Drive

as far as the graphics, I'd say hand paint them, like Zvex
                          Just curious as to what the Direct Drive uses to create or generate their overdrive/distortion? Is it 8 pin dual opamp and diodes or something different?

I Like the "Blue Magic" pedal because it is completely different..Reminds me of a Tube Screamer but it's less compressed,has plenty of gain,but it's a clearer pedal overall...The mids are only pronounced if I engage the mid boost switch on my pedal and there are plenty of lows and nice highs...

Comment

That's cool. Glad you are having fun with it.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx
                              That's cool. Glad you are having fun with it.
                              Having a blast building pedals,then I get to tweak then even further to suit my own fussy ears!

Below is the pedal board with the pedals I've built...Missing from this board is the "BSIAB 2"(Brown Sound In A Box) pedal I built first and it's on my main pedal board...The black colored pedal top right is a buffer...The white pedal is the "May Queen Boost" and it does a great job of simulating Brian May's midrange/Vox tone...These are not my creations,but I'm having fun learning more about pedals while building off other people's ideas... Every pedal is true bypass and they are velcroed to the birch plywood board to try tonight at band practice?

Check out the BSIAB 2 Here.Not my sound sample.

Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 09-26-2005, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X