Finally got a Hot Plate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got a Hot Plate!

I scored one for $160 of eBay and got it this weekend. I'm using it w/ my Dual Rectifier (3-channel) and Marshall 1960A cab.

So I plugged it in and pumped my master to 1:00 (normally 8:30) and to be honest... I was a little disappointed. My tone was a little flubby. I don't think it's a HotPlate issue, it's the very finnicky Boogie EQ. Just when I was finally at peace with my settings now I have to go back in and tweak them again.

For you non-Boogie owners this probably sounds pretty trivial but understanding the EQ on the Dual Rectifiers requires a friggin PhD! I know it will all be worth it in the end but it's such a pain in the a$$!!!
    1978 Lefty Gibson Les Paul Custom (C5 bridge, Jazz neck) with Jimmy Page wiring
    1996 Lefty Fender Jazzmaster (w/ SD Antiquity IIs)
    2003 Lefty Taylor 414RCE (Rosewood Limited Edition with Expression System)
    Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
    Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Re: Finally got a Hot Plate!

Originally posted by sooperunkn
    I scored one for $160 of eBay and got it this weekend. I'm using it w/ my Dual Rectifier (3-channel) and Marshall 1960A cab.

So I plugged it in and pumped my master to 1:00 (normally 8:30) and to be honest... I was a little disappointed. My tone was a little flubby. I don't think it's a HotPlate issue, it's the very finnicky Boogie EQ. Just when I was finally at peace with my settings now I have to go back in and tweak them again.

For you non-Boogie owners this probably sounds pretty trivial but understanding the EQ on the Dual Rectifiers requires a friggin PhD! I know it will all be worth it in the end but it's such a pain in the a$$!!!
    Alot of that "issue" is not the EQ..at least directly..it's lack of speaker interaction....and thats something the attentuators can't address..unfortunately, it's KEY to a cranked amp sound.

This is why I'm looking for (but not so much in a hurry to get now) a low wattage boutique Marshall copy....can get some speaker interaction without peeling the paint or pi$$ing off my neighbors.

I really wish the bigger guys would bring out more FULL FEATURED low wattage models...Marshall in particular. They HAVE to realize the majority of people buying amps don't need 40 plus tube watts. Not saying there are those who don't have a need for stacks...but they are fewer and farther between.

A full featured 15-25 watt all tube (with a VPR switch) 2 or 3 channel Marshall amp would sell like a MOFO.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB
      Alot of that "issue" is not the EQ..at least directly..it's lack of speaker interaction....and thats something the attentuators can't address..unfortunately, it's KEY to a cranked amp sound..
      Yeah I'm definitely aware of that, but I'd rather hear the power tubes AND preamp tubes distort than just the preamp tubes.

This is why I'm looking for (but not so much in a hurry to get now) a low wattage boutique Marshall copy....can get some speaker interaction without peeling the paint or pi$$ing off my neighbors.

I really wish the bigger guys would bring out more FULL FEATURED low wattage models...Marshall in particular. They HAVE to realize the majority of people buying amps don't need 40 plus tube watts. Not saying there are those who don't have a need for stacks...but they are fewer and farther between.

A full featured 15-25 watt all tube (with a VPR switch) 2 or 3 channel Marshall amp would sell like a MOFO.
      I'd be right there with you! It seems the low wattage tube amps are all bare bones Class A, 1 tone/1 volume jobs. It would be extremely sweet to see a multi-channel 15 watt amp by someone like Mesa, Marshall, Soldano, etc...
      Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
      Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Comment

I agree with you on the MESA's being finicky. The controls are HIGHLY interactive and that just drives me nuts.

One of the reasons I'm liking my Legacy more and more each day is the fact that the controls are 1 m-ohm sealed pots that have a wider control range AND do not interact with each other.

Comment

Yeah I'm definitely aware of that, but I'd rather hear the power tubes AND preamp tubes distort than just the preamp tubes.
          You're probably not going to like the results if you get power tube distortion on a Mesa.

First, it's so loud that you'll have to attenuate the snot out of it. Most attenuators start to get that wet blanket sound at about 8dB and definitely above 12dB. To attenuate a 100W amp by 12dB still puts you at about 6-8W and that's going to provide SPLs over 100dB so you might even be too loud and too muffled.

Secondly, Mesas weren't designed for power section distortion. Like all tube amps, they sound better when the power tubes are getting exercised but the results will be mighty disappointing if the power tubes actually start clipping when the preamps are saturating, too.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
          My Music

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee
            You're probably not going to like the results if you get power tube distortion on a Mesa............Like all tube amps, they sound better when the power tubes are getting exercised but the results will be mighty disappointing if the power tubes actually start clipping when the preamps are saturating, too.
            I'll agree with that and Fenders are very similar. A little breakup and they sound good...but it's a fine line and they will get mushy and nasty realllll quick. Kind of the opposite of a Marshall which sounds better and better the harder you slam the tubes.
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

You're probably not going to like the results if you get power tube distortion on a Mesa.

First, it's so loud that you'll have to attenuate the snot out of it. Most attenuators start to get that wet blanket sound at about 8dB and definitely above 12dB. To attenuate a 100W amp by 12dB still puts you at about 6-8W and that's going to provide SPLs over 100dB so you might even be too loud and too muffled.

Secondly, Mesas weren't designed for power section distortion. Like all tube amps, they sound better when the power tubes are getting exercised but the results will be mighty disappointing if the power tubes actually start clipping when the preamps are saturating, too.
              Is this attributed to Mesa's (Sovtek) power tubes or is it the nature of the circuit? I'm on the hunt for new power tubes and I'm wondering if there are some out there that will improve what you're describing?

Comment

Is this attributed to Mesa's (Sovtek) power tubes or is it the nature of the circuit?
                Just the circuit/design. "softer" tubes may help, but the sound may just get more tubby/flubby top. Switching to EL34s if you don't already have them would probably help as well.

Comment

Just the circuit/design. "softer" tubes may help, but the sound may just get more tubby/flubby top. Switching to EL34s if you don't already have them would probably help as well.
                  It's not just Mesa's circuit but a generality with high gain amps (Bogner, Soldano, VHT, etc.).
                  • Making the power tubes work sounds good
                  • Having the power tubes clip sounds bad
                  Personally, I think power tube distortion is overrated. Real power tube distortion sounds cool for light OD but, stacked on top of preamp or stompbox overdrive, it's not so hot. Even in a lot of classic Marshalls, the distinctive driven tone comes from the PI clipping rather than the power tubes. You can make the argument that the power section is clipping in that case but technically it's still not power tube distortion.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                  My Music

Comment

It's not just Mesa's circuit but a generality with high gain amps (Bogner, Soldano, VHT, etc.).
                    Personally, I think power tube distortion is overrated. Real power tube distortion sounds cool for light OD but, stacked on top of preamp or stompbox overdrive, it's not so hot. Even in a lot of classic Marshalls, the distinctive driven tone comes from the PI clipping rather than the power tubes. You can make the argument that the power section is clipping in that case but technically it's still not power tube distortion.
                    Then I guess it's all about finding that sweet spot with the Master Volume.

Comment

Big +1 there. Marshall has nothing to offer in the high end, low wattage market.

I'm thinking 4 EL84's with a switch that kills two of them for half power. Channel one would do Vox-y clean at low gain and Plexi-ish overdrive at high gain. Channel two would go from JTM crunchiness at low gain up into JCM 800 territory at high gain. Give each channel its own EQ and volume, and throw in a switchable parallel loop. Offer it as a head or a 1x12 ported closed back combo. I'd definitely be interested in that, and I'm sure lots of other people would too.
                      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Making the power tubes work sounds good
                        Having the power tubes clip sounds bad

You can make the argument that the power section is clipping in that case but technically it's still not power tube distortion.
                        Interesting...don't think I've ever heard this "argument"/ POV before...maybe Jeff Seal or some of the other amp techs could weigh in on this? (you may very well be an amp tech too Alec, I don't know, so no offense is intended by that).

Comment

Exactly! Thus the reason why they even make a Triple Rectifier. Power tube distortion is not exactly the first thing you're looking for when you want a tight metal sound.
                          I get to go to a lot of overseas places, like Canada.
                          -Britney Spears

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing
                            Big +1 there. Marshall has nothing to offer in the high end, low wattage market.

I'm thinking 4 EL84's with a switch that kills two of them for half power. Channel one would do Vox-y clean at low gain and Plexi-ish overdrive at high gain. Channel two would go from JTM crunchiness at low gain up into JCM 800 territory at high gain. Give each channel its own EQ and volume, and throw in a switchable parallel loop. Offer it as a head or a 1x12 ported closed back combo. I'd definitely be interested in that, and I'm sure lots of other people would too.
                            That would be a hard amp to make (for a decent price). There's so much tonal variation between an 800 and a JTM for example. But if they could pull that off, I'd be a happy SOB

I think something like the "decade switch" on the Fargen Mini plex would be the way to go. It has a 60s/70's/and 80s setting...not sure what it actually does in the circuit, but it DO work.

Comment

Originally posted by ankalar
                              Exactly! Thus the reason why they even make a Triple Rectifier. Power tube distortion is not exactly the first thing you're looking for when you want a tight metal sound.
                              Personally, I feel investing in the right speakers and pickups would be more conducive to getting a "tight metal sound", than power tube breakup. Dimed 800s did "tight metal sound"s for many years.. ? :shrug:

And gosh are Recs REALLY that tight? Not the ones I've played (stock tubes though). Even with the SS rectifier switched in, I thought it was a little tubby compared to a Soldano,5150, or TSL.

Comment

Working...
                              X