MESA Boogie Mk I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MESA Boogie Mk I

Has any one here played through a Boogie MkI Reissue I tried one a a local shop and it sounded great. Unfortunately i didn't have the time to really put it through it paces. I've developed a pinched nerve in my neck and has made my left hand slightly inoperable, temporary situation I hope, so it limited how much and how well I could play. Anyway feed back would be helpful I owned a cybertwin and ended selling that at a great loss I don't want to end up up doing that again. The Boogie was listed a $1300 I don't doubt the quality. I just would like thoughts on versatility. I know Amps can't be everything for everybody. But I enjoy a wide range of music, I have decided to learn blues and its variations I use my Blues Dlx. Jr' for that and would like some thing for Rock i.e. classics and newer stuff.
    Muddy Waters, whom I now paraphrase
    ``Those young white guys is nuts! They killin' themselves tryin' to LIVE THE BLUES.''
    Lighting Red
    :smack:

97' Les Paul DC Pro
    Eric Johnson Stratocaster (on trial)
    Epiphone Elitist 63 ES-335 DOT Reissue
    03' Fender Customshop Telecaster
    Fender Blues Jr. Deluxe
    Mesa Boogie MK IV :usa1:

Re: MESA Boogie Mk I

Originally posted by lescarr
    Has any one here played through a Boogie MkI Reissue I tried one a a local shop and it sounded great. Unfortunately i didn't have the time to really put it through it paces. I've developed a pinched nerve in my neck and has made my left hand slightly inoperable, temporary situation I hope, so it limited how much and how well I could play. Anyway feed back would be helpful I owned a cybertwin and ended selling that at a great loss I don't want to end up up doing that again. The Boogie was listed a $1300 I don't doubt the quality. I just would like thoughts on versatility. I know Amps can't be everything for everybody. But I enjoy a wide range of music, I have decided to learn blues and its variations I use my Blues Dlx. Jr' for that and would like some thing for Rock i.e. classics and newer stuff.
    Sorry to hear about your injury

If I were going for versatility from MESA I'd go with a LoneStar/LoneStar Special. Good blues, twang, and "classic" rock sounds and not much more $ than the MKI.

MKIV & the Stiletto are very versatile too..but more $ (well the MKiV is.. Stiletto is head only and costs about the same as the LS combo, but you'll need a cab, so...)
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I went to MESA Website and saw their selection I did read about the Lonestars they looked interesting I will think about them. I kinda liked the MkI or MkII as well because of size (good things come in small packages) and have read on Harmony central that some have connected the combo to a cabinet and used it much like a head. I read only one bad complaint there and the guy said the speaker "farted" whatever that means or sounds like?
      ``Those young white guys is nuts! They killin' themselves tryin' to LIVE THE BLUES.''
      Lighting Red

97' Les Paul DC Pro
      Fender Blues Jr. Deluxe

Comment

I was just looking at your gear and music choices...the MkI makes for a great blues and blues rock type amp. It has a nice and fat lead tone, and a great mild overdrive that can sound clean when played light, then gives a thick breakup as you play chords or come onto the pick a little harder.

If you're looking for a modern distortion this isn't the right amp for you.....but if you're looking for a slightly darker sounding blackface Bassman with a bit more "Oomph" you just might love this amp.

Also, check out the Lonestar. I haven't played one, but from what I heard it's a little brighter than the MkI.
        Last edited by some_dude; 10-03-2005, 01:16 PM.
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

No experience here- just relating hearsay:

I've heard the Lonestars can be difficult. I don't know anything about anything, but just relating what I recall about them.
          *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
          Originally posted by Slash2987
          Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
          Originally posted by PVFan
          I'm a good sex man.
          Originally posted by Grumpy
          I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Im' shure that MkI will fill the bill when it comes to lead, rythm and chords are another consideration since I do mostly solo playing I need to be able to achieve clean as well. As for modern distortion I don't think I'll need it at this time. Mabey I will find another smallish Amp for that purpose. I should have never sold my Deluxe Reverb it was very clean sounding with a older JBL speaker (giant magnet) both from the 70's
            not a CBS Fender though I believe.
            I don't understand what golden boy means by difficult?
            Splane Pleeeese!
            Lighting Red

97' Les Paul DC Pro
            Fender Blues Jr. Deluxe

Comment

I have owned a MK 1, MK ll, MK lll. The only one I still have is the MKll. The main problem with the MkI is it has no footswitching. You have a separate input for the clean and overdriven channels. I tried an a/b box but it didn't work (my brother explained why but I have forgotten.) Second problem is that it is LOUD, even if you have the 60 watt switch. The MKII is in my opinion a much more versatile amp. Similar lead tone as the MkII, great clean tone and footswitchable. Problem is they are rather collectable, that said I did pickup mine on e-bay for $900. It was in a rather worn cabinet but I switched it into my MKIII hardwood cabinet and I plan on keeping it for a long time. MKI's can usually be had on e-bay for considerably less.

Comment

Originally posted by Al.C
                I have owned a MK 1, MK ll, MK lll. The only one I still have is the MKll. The main problem with the MkI is it has no footswitching. You have a separate input for the clean and overdriven channels. I tried an a/b box but it didn't work (my brother explained why but I have forgotten.) Second problem is that it is LOUD, even if you have the 60 watt switch. The MKII is in my opinion a much more versatile amp. Similar lead tone as the MkII, great clean tone and footswitchable. Problem is they are rather collectable, that said I did pickup mine on e-bay for $900. It was in a rather worn cabinet but I switched it into my MKIII hardwood cabinet and I plan on keeping it for a long time. MKI's can usually be had on e-bay for considerably less.
                Agreed. A Mark I is usually something that really appeals to the guys who are Boogie devotees (like me) or who are looking for one particular tone. I have a Mark II and I think that it would come closer to what you're looking for in an amp. I, too, have owned one of each of the Mark series, and I would opt for a Mark IV simply for all of the versatility.
                Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

Thanks too all. Will go either Lonestar series or Mark series lets see what they cost maybe a good used on will do the trick weight is no a problem but size is a consideration
                  Lighting Red

97' Les Paul DC Pro
                  Fender Blues Jr. Deluxe

Comment

Working...
                  X