banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a USA amp in the UK? Any Problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a USA amp in the UK? Any Problems?

Obviously, its a heck of a lot cheaper to import from the USA these days than pay UK prices, but the 1st thing that sprung to mind, was the different type of power ratings and plugs and stuff. Could this be a problem? For example if i bought a USA dual rectifier and wanted to play it in my house in England?

Cheers,

Kev
    PC: Windows XP/Vista, Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1TB HDD, M-Audio 1010lt
    DAW: Nuendo
    Noise: 5150
    Guitar: Palm Bay Cyclone

http://www.myspace.com/kevparsons

Re: Using a USA amp in the UK? Any Problems?

You need it to be able to handle the higher voltage or be prepared to waste a lot of money, and smell lots of fried components. I think the DR has a voltage selection on the back like Marshalls do, but I'm not 100% certain of that.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
      You need it to be able to handle the higher voltage or be prepared to waste a lot of money, and smell lots of fried components. I think the DR has a voltage selection on the back like Marshalls do, but I'm not 100% certain of that.
      yeh thats what i thought... anything that can "step down" this stuff? guys?
      PC: Windows XP/Vista, Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1TB HDD, M-Audio 1010lt
      DAW: Nuendo
      Noise: 5150
      Guitar: Palm Bay Cyclone

http://www.myspace.com/kevparsons

Comment

Be warned, I played in a band in Cyprus, where the voltage is the same as the UK, and our American singer had a lot of gear. He used a transformer to step down the voltage for his gear, but there was a lot of hum with his gear.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

As mentioned, get a good step down transformer and you won't fry any of your gear.
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
          X