banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a good overdrive or distortion to use with a strat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's a good overdrive or distortion to use with a strat.

Originally posted by Brow
    I find my G2D Custom Overdrive to be excellent when using single coils.

The keep their character, they're just Overdriven

If you want more info then their site is www.g2d.co.nz
    +1 G2D absolutely rock. For SRV tone get the Creamtone, but the Custom Overdrive is definitely a goer if you want more distortion.
    'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Comment

I really need to try the Pickup Booster.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees
        I really need to try the Pickup Booster.
        I'm bringing mine to UGD at the weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Brow
          I'm bringing mine to UGD at the weekend
          Cool, I'm intrigued to hear how it'll react with my Legacy.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Is that Boss DS-1 good in its stock form or does it need a mod? i've been reading some horrible review on it, expecially the Taiwan models. Supposedly the Japanese model (older ones) are pretty good.
            My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
            or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
            http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
            700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

i liked my DS-1 before it was modded....I like it even more now that it's modded.

If you want JCM800 it's close to that sound. Makes my Strats and Bassman sound pretty Slayery if i want it to...and it has more gain than I even want, which is cool 'cuz I'm one of those 'dern teen metalpunkcore' kids.

-X
              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I really like my sparkle drive by voodoo labs. Not high gain, but a mild overdrive. It really adds definition and punch.

Comment

Originally posted by Seraphial
                  +1 G2D absolutely rock. For SRV tone get the Creamtone, but the Custom Overdrive is definitely a goer if you want more distortion.
                  Another +1. Custom Overdrive is the most versatile OD pedal I've used so far - using predominantly with a G&L Legacy through a Fender Twin.

Comment

Lovepedal Eternity and COT50 overdrives
                    BSM treble boosters are fantastic as well, but they can only work their magic with a good tube amp.

There's also been some recent buzz about the Hermida Mosferatu and Zendrive, as well as Pro Analog's Power Driver.

"One other thing... I think it rips through your clothes when it takes you over...."
                    R.J. MacReady, John Carpenter's The Thing

http://www.myspace.com/PegasusActualMusic
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dzNCgX0QW0

http://www.soundclick.com/randymcfarland
                    http://www.soundclick.com/randotones

Comment

I'm goona get good 'n cheap here. Pocket-change cheap.

Overdrive a Strat? Digitech BAD MONKEY. Cheap pedal, sounds great. Yes, it is possible to get a great sounding pedal that's not a boutique or custom-modded thingie.

+1 on the Compressor before the overdrive/distortion. Set it up for mild compression and unity gain with the humbucker. Plug in a Strat and, wow, it has the output of the humbucker. I'm amazed that more folks don't use compressors as "guitar output compensators". You lose a little bit of dynamics, yes, but IMHO you gain more than you lose. I've been using a Boss CS-3 for 20 years now. It's good enough to keep me happy.

Craig's Guitar Tech Resource
                      Free Diagrams Online
                      Repairs and Custom Wiring since 1979

Comment

I used to use Big Muff Pi, but switched to Precision Electronics Experience pedal....it's loaded with other cool stuff (incl. octave effect)....can dial in lots of different tones/fuzz effects....unpredictable in a cool way

Comment

Well, I decided to try out the Digitech Bad Monkey and Hot Head distortion pedals along with some good patch cables and power conditioner. They're cheap and the demos sounded real good so what the heck. One thing I noticed was that on the digitech site, the demos were all loaded up with chorus, reverbs, delays etc... Musicians friend's demos seemed to be just the effect. Of course, that gives the better demonstration of the pedal, but I also liked the sound simpler as well, which is how I usually run the amp--straight in with something for overdrive or a wah if I want to kick it up a notch, and some reverb.

I'll report what I find. It should all be in by mid week.
                          My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
                          or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
                          http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
                          700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Fulltone '69 Fuzz Face is a killer pedal. I run my american strat thru it and get some great solo tones, think Cream Clapton and Hendrix or just that plain 60's/early 70's rock more mid oriented compared to treble oriented tone. if thats the kindof distortion your looking for then a Fuzz is the way to go!

Fuzzes overall just really sound great with Strats IMO, they dont completely reshape the tone you get from your fingers to the amp that makes a strat's transparency so cool. A fuzz will just accent it more with "fuzz".
                            There is no spoone
                            - The Matricks

Comment

Originally posted by 75lespaul
                              Is that Boss DS-1 good in its stock form or does it need a mod? i've been reading some horrible review on it, expecially the Taiwan models. Supposedly the Japanese model (older ones) are pretty good.
                              IMHO the DS-1 (stock) is not a good distortion pedal but it can be use as a tone colourer/ conditioner used on low gain setting. do a search for lew's tips on using it.

what is lacking from ur amp distortion that u want in your pedal? looking just for a different sound ? or more gain?
                              On Munky of Korn:

munky.. they got respect for him.. he's the jimi hendrix of our era

Comment

Along with the Duncan PU Booster, as I mentioned Pro Rat is good, but a DS-1 will work fine for less$. Also some on this post have really raved about the new Duncan Tweak fuzz.

CoachC

Comment

Working...
                                X