banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Played the Fargen flagship amp today....The VOS!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Played the Fargen flagship amp today....The VOS!!!

I visited my friend, Todd at www.revolutionguitar.com today, after his invitation to check out his favorite new amp, the Fargen VOS. Todd has an Ebay warehouse/recording studio in West Los Angeles, and also has a nice collection of amps...a ton of killer Marshalls. I brought over my LP Prem Plus with 50th Anniversary Seth Lovers.

My impression of the amp is this....imagine a 50W PTP Plexi with a tube rectifier, and the absolute perfect volume level....70% of a reissue plexi. It's a single channel dual EL-34 amp that has a mastervolume, gain, bass, mid, treble, presence, and reverb that's bypassable. My first thoughts were 'this thing is Billy Gibbons soul.' There's no way you can play blues/bluesrock on the amp without hearing every ZZ Top album from the First Album to Mescalero...it does it all. Thick, growly, wide, greasy, and just badass! Even when dimed, it keeps it's composure, and the higher the gain is, the more it moves toward the VH Unchained tone. If you consider a Splawn to be the VH tone because of it's tightness, then the VOS is the ZZ Top tone, due to it's chewy goodness at highgain settings. It also cleans up very nice with the guitar's volume, but has a nice clean Hendrixy voice with the master high and the gain low.

All in all, it's an amp for a serious tone connoisseur, who goes for Gary Moore to Billy Gibbons tones, and it doesn't come cheap. Ben Fargen is a believer in stripped down tone machines, not bells'n'whistles, so you've got to know that the $2150 price tag is for supreme bluesrock tone for the guy who wants something better than Marshall has ever produced.....and I mean ever!
    Most Marshall-style amps that are PTP don't come with reverb, because it's difficult to design into those circuits. Fargen did it, and it's a mastervolume amp that doesn't sound like one....it's really that good. It's a little bit saggier than you'd want for a metal amp, but for EL-34 blues to the best ZZ Top, Black Crowes, early VH, and Warren Haynes tones, it's the Cadillac!
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 10-09-2005, 01:42 AM.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Re: Played the Fargen flagship amp today....The VOS!!!

I heard the clips on the Fargen site a few weeks ago and was sold, unfortunately I'm afraid the dutch Fargen dealer asks a bit more than they're going for in the US
    Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
    Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
    Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
    Marshall 2x12 Vintage
    Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

This looks to be pretty, Fargen awesome!

Comment

Thanks GJ, you're making it harder for me to wait for my Epic 30 DC to be repaired and upgraded thanks to UPS wrecking it Only consolation I have is that I have a feeling I'll be one very happy person when it does arrive.

What really sold me on Fargen amps was not only the clarity, response and vibe, but the customer service is pretty top notch. Ben's an absolute great guy to deal with! He's nailed quite a few key vintage tones out there with his amps and from what I've gathered, if you can dream it, he can pretty much do it.
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Lotta dough, but one bada$$ amp!

Look forward to your reviews Chris...........

Jonesy, you live a semi-charmed kinda life my friend

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
          Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
          FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
          http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

I remember that amp from the L A Amp Show. Very impressive.

here's another pic from that thread, with Ben Fargen playing the VOS:

"music heals"
            facebook

Comment

$2k is not a lot for an amp. Consider what we spend on a guitar, or a half dozen effects pedals...whatever. How about selling a 57' RI like someone recently did to purchase a camera?

For the tone we are all after, $2k is not an unreasonable investment.
              My Sound Clips

Comment

And considerring what you're getting, you're right......it's still a lot of dough though

There was a guy selling a VOS over on The Gear Page that looks just like the one in the picture Curly posted

***EDIT: Sale pending on that one....$2000 + shipping for the head & matching 1x12 cab !!!!!!!!!!!

Who are we kidding? Jonesy will find one at a yard sale for a buck-fitty
                Last edited by PUCKBOY99; 10-09-2005, 09:49 AM.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

You have just described an amp that would suit me perfectly.
                  teles? voxes? what is happening to me?!

Comment

I saw that on the website a couple weeks back..looks bad@$$

I can say Fargen has got THE classic marshall tones down-pat. The Mini-PLex I played was just incredible.

Sorta OT re: the SPlawn...yeah it does the later (1984-ish) VH tones very, very well..i.e., tight...but VH1 isn't tight sounding to me at all?...it's def late 60's plexi...a little flubby on the bottom and top end...(nothing wrong with that, just making an observation). Not sure what the diff is really..cos I was under the impressiion it was the same amp..but something DEF changed as he progressed past VH1...pickups perhaps..or the addition of the Floyd..or both...who knows with Eddie
                    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Two words are haunting me....

"Chewy Goodness"

Joe, you have a way with tone words.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
                        Two words are haunting me....

"Chewy Goodness"

Joe, you have a way with tone words.
                        "Jones knows tones."
                        "music heals"
                        facebook

Comment

GearJoneser: "Amplifier Motivational Speaker!" I gotta bit of a tone problem, but I"M WORKING ON IT!

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

I swear, if I knew how to build amps, I would name them funny names that describe the sound.

Wallbreaker 100
                            Nutkicker 50
                            B!tchslap 30

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Joe, maybe I should ask permission to use your name ideas!

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Working...
                              X