• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franklin 15 Review on Harmony Central

Thanks Larry.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Re: Franklin 15 Review on Harmony Central

Awesome, I'll be "attempting" to review the JTM45 when its done if you'd like? I don't think its a regular amp on your current line though, so i dont know what i'd call it? Celtic JTM45 I guess....
    There is no spoone
    - The Matricks

Comment

Glad ya got a good review Scott but I found the review uniformative in the most important way...tone

WHAT does the amp sound like? Is it classA? What tubes? speakers, etc...right at the end he said "matchless" other than that I wouldn't have any idea....and If I'm not mistaken didn't matchless have sev diff "tones" in thier various amps? (some vox copies..some fender-ish etc)..is it Vox-like...Marshall crunch? Fender pristine?, all of 'em, etc

I know you didn't write it, it's just I can't seem to get a "tone report" on one other than "they sound good" and apparently it won't pi$$ off the barmaids...

hopefully the clips to appear soon(?) will help me out...
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by Armotron
        Awesome, I'll be "attempting" to review the JTM45 when its done if you'd like? I don't think its a regular amp on your current line though, so i dont know what i'd call it? Celtic JTM45 I guess....

How about the Nutkicker 45? (one of gearjonesers amp names...)

Seriously, though, I should have your amp in testing by the end of this weekend.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB
          Glad ya got a good review Scott but I found the review uniformative in the most important way...tone

WHAT does the amp sound like? Is it classA? What tubes? speakers, etc...right at the end he said "matchless" other than that I wouldn't have any idea....and If I'm not mistaken didn't matchless have sev diff "tones" in thier various amps? (some vox copies..some fender-ish etc)..is it Vox-like...Marshall crunch? Fender pristine?, all of 'em, etc

I know you didn't write it, it's just I can't seem to get a "tone report" on one other than "they sound good" and apparently it won't pi$$ off the barmaids...

Good points. Maybe Larry can clarify at some point if he feels the need. Some of us write reviews and such better than others. I totally appreciate Stratman taking the time to write the review regardless. Clips coming at some point this weekend perhaps. Gotta finish Arm's JTM45 first though. That's my highest priority.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB

Read the entire post!

OK, tone is subjective. I have been in too many guitar stores where other guitar players play an amp and can not get it to sound right, then I get on it and they are asking me "How did you do that?" It is more that the fingering, cables, pickups, guitar wood, tubes, transformers, speackers, etc... It is the combination of all of those attributes. However, there are those times when an amp sound so well that it is a joy to play and does not take too much to get that great tone from it. This is such a case.

The amp can be played clean and in that sense it has a lot of clear sparkle. Think of those clear notes in the lead part of "The Wind Cry's Mary".

The amp can be played middle of the road hard. Think of the beginning part of "La Grange"

And finally, the amp can be driven hard. Think of the lead part of "La Grange"

Other than that - I purposely did not comment on the tubes or speaker since Scott's forum should be the source for that type of information. It does play in the true Class A mode, but to try to class it like a Vox, Fender or Marshall would be wrong. It has that nice Matchless tone of an amp built similar to this one.

Pure leasure to play and will be a hit at any bar or club.

Get the picture?
            Last edited by Stratman; 10-20-2005, 06:04 PM.
            Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
            When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
            Red Devils - 1% all the way!
            Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
            Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Go Stratman
              Go Stratman

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
              Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
              FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
              http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99

Go Stratman
                Go Stratman

Thanks!

BTW - Jeff from Speaker Surgeon also played this amp and like the TONE a lot! When I told Scott "Perfect club amp", Jeff agreed by saying "Yup."
                Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

I haven't heard Scott's amp, but there are some pretty cool 2x EL 84 amps - from the vintage Vox AC 15 Twin Twelve that had as good of a tone as any amp I've played, to the newer 65 Amps London that Joneser and I were blown away by at the L A Amp Show.

Locally, Jeff Snyder makes an 18 watt, 1x12 combo that has a lot of interest among players, and sells in 3 versions for $2500- $3000.

Some people think these type amps lack some bottom, but the London proves that doesn't have to be the case. If some of these do lack bottom, they make up for it in harmonics and beautiful crunch.

And of course there was Matchless, who raised the bar for peerless construction, indestructibility, and great tone. The Lightning has got to be a good amp to base a design on.

My point: I'll be waiting for a chance to give a Franklin a test drive. These things should sound glorious with single coils!
                  "music heals"
                  facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Stratman

The amp can be played clean and in that sense it has a lot of clear sparkle. Think of those clear notes in the lead part of "The Wind Cry's Mary".

The amp can be played middle of the road hard. Think of the beginning part of "La Grange"

And finally, the amp can be driven hard. Think of the lead part of "La Grange"
                    Sounds yummy!! Nice review Stratman.

Comment

y'all are killin me here!!! lol!!!

sounds good Scott...real good!!!
                      Originally posted by jeremy
                      God hates bad guitar tone
                      GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                      AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                      EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                      Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

May favourite line from the review:

I have purchased other equipment from him and he has stood behind his ggods.
                        Didn't know you were polytheistic, Scott!
                        Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 10-21-2005, 08:35 PM.
                        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
                        X