Tell me about your SPLAWN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about your SPLAWN!

If you recall my thread about the Carvin Legacy, I asked for feedback about the Legacy. I was very impressed with what I heard, as well as what I saw on the Carvin DVD, so I called them. My experience with Carvin was nothing less than terrible. The salesman was rude as could be, and I will never buy a Carvin product for as long as I live.

So, now I would now like to know all about your Splawn amps! How does it sound? What options did you get on yours? Is it reliable? Have you used it on gigs/tour? How good is the clean channel? What is the tonal range of the amp?

Thank you!
    Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 10-25-2005, 10:38 AM.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: Tell me about your SPLAWN!

hey ben that sucks about carvin ! but SPLAWN is better any way . i spoke with scott last year about moding one of my marshall's he was nice and helpful and he is a huge lynch fan !!!!!!!!!! . i have my next amp purches down to a DAVE BRAY moded plexi reissue or a SPLAWN quick rod . later scott
    Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
    Suhr OD-50
    Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

Hey TW, this is a bit off this post but i know you have a Knucklehead. You may already have tried this but i'll let you know as my tube change work bl**dy wonders for mine!

I changed my factory winged C output tubes for JJ 6L6GC's and put a JJ ECC803 longplate pre amp tube in the phase inverter slot......
      Ive never been a fan of sovtek tubes and i can tell you this things a NEW amp!
      More gain (usable) smoother 2nd channel and the boost channel is now killer. And more fuller clearer sound at lower volumes. Channel three is just mad now, i like it! The key tube was the ECC803, i will changes out the rest for 83's and put one more 803 in V2 and see if it gets any better!...

Just thought i'd buzz in with my 2cents.

harley.

Comment

Thanx for the tip, Justice!

I think yours is a later model than mine, tho. My KH is only 2 channels, and is an EL34 model.

Comment

I have a splawn 4x12 cab, with celestion g12t-75 and eminence vintage 30 copies (I think they're the governors) in an x-pattern. I love it! Hopefully a head is somewhere in my future, but I have other GAS to take care of first.

I did get to play one of Scott's modded JCM800's in a store here, and that head was great. No, amazing. It still had a marshall voicing, but was somehow better than any marshall I've played before. The sound was VERY clear, and the amp was very responsive (no hiding poor playing here, hehe). This was a single channel amp, so there was really only one sound to be had, but it was fantastic.

Twilight, if you're a marshall guy, I highly suggest that you find a splawn and give it a try. I also own a Rivera KH100 head, and I can honestly say that IMO the splawn is better for distortion sounds. Economics and the fact that I need to use pedals for distortion (a cranked half stack is too loud for most of my gigs) are the reasons that I don't own one yet.
          "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

Ben, is the 'purpose' of this amp mainly to use in Europe or are you just looking for a reason to buy a new amp?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Brow
              Ben, is the 'purpose' of this amp mainly to use in Europe or are you just looking for a reason to buy a new amp?

Craig
              LOL!

Both reasons ... I want a new amp and I need something that has a voltage switch on the back!

Comment

Yeah that sounded pretty snobby Joe

I don't quite see it the same?...I've put some hours in on Bogner Ecstasy Classic, and some other "booteeks" (fargen, badcat, VHT, Soldano, etc) and friggin incredible amps no doubt, but from what I can hear Splawn and Bray are certainly not "inferior" in any way to a Fargen/Bogner/Badcat/Soldano, etc.. tonewise...it's all what ya want...Bray's Marshall Reissue mods to me sound better than anything.It's THE Marshall tone I've always heard in my head. Splawn is the same for others, and I'd be just as happy with one of them too!

To me, the Bogner just gives you a bunch more tonal options...more channels, etc. For me, it's a waste...shipping off my 1987X to Scott or David would give me exactly what I want/need tone-wise. If I needed something super versatile with a bazillion sounds in it, yeah the Bogner is the way to go. But 3K for one maybe two sounds I need vs. a used 1987x/1959RI/800 with mod for $1500 that does the same thing? I know what I'll choose. I chose my Rivera based on that. 90% of the tone of the "boutiques" at half the price.

Sorry for getting off topic Ben, not trying to be argumentative.. I just wanted to say that I think the mods these guys do on Marshalls def have a place even if that's to occupy the niche of "boutique" tone, at a price point most can afford.
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Hmmm, no first-hand accounts with this amp?

Comment

we have 3 or 4 members here with them and i will own a quick rod in the future for sure! as for info, check this out, these guys can help better since they are all owners...

-Mike
                    www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

I deleted the post I made, while S-faced last night! LOL

Actually, I was considering amps like Splawns to be at the top of the ladder, alongside all the others. I was mostly suggesting that players with a few amps just sell them off, and condense the money into one 'super amp.'

At one point, I did that with about 6 amps. I just decided I wanted less super quality ones, rather than a bunch of average ones. It's nice when you have those to sell, since it makes the high price of a Splawn, Bogner, or Diezel seem a little more attainable.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

There gets to be a certain quality level where I think everything comes down to splitting hairs. Some will prefer some amps to others based on their own individual preferences and needs.

I loved my Fargen Epic 30 DC and I'll love it even more with the upgrade when I do get it repaired from Ben (it's been in the shop about a month - got to take UPS/Staples to court to fund it).

There are amps that will do higher gain much better than it and if you're a Fender guy, you may not even like it. I use it because I get Vox tones and classic Marshall at lower volumes and it shines in smaller club type settings (which is going to be my fan base... no big ampitheaters ). My tone is typically jangly clean rhythm tones, crunchy light to medium overdrives and smooth leads. Anything like the EVH "brown sound" won't work for my style (it has a bit of fizz to the top end that just doesn't meet the tone in my head).

Joe plays in a modern rock kind of band. He needs multiple overdrive channels that are loud, cut through a big band mix and are versatile to cover a lot of different sounds.

TO, with your band, you need a heavier type of sound and you play in large venues, so a loud amp with a lot of cut will suit you well. The Splawn should work wonders, IMHO it was designed for musicians like you. For more bedroom, small gig sized people like me, it would be simply too much amp (that's why I sold amps like the H&K Triamp in the past ).
                        Originally posted by kevlar3000
                        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                        Originally posted by Zerberus
                        Better is often the enemy of good
                        Originally posted by ginormous
                        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Thanx for the input, folks. I've pretty much decided to pull the trigger on this. Just gotta finalize a couple of things.

Comment

TO: which Splawn are you getting?
                            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
                            X