I may need a gigging amp...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I may need a gigging amp...

I'm not opposed to running my modeller into the PA, but if there's a smallish combo out there that will fit this particular bill, let me know.

What I need it to do:

Small-Medium club volume
    Three piece rockabilly combo
    Looking for a sound that resides somewhere between '59 Bassman and mid-60s Blackface Twin. Something that could pull off both would be great.

Those are the only requirements, really, but if it's possible, I'd prefer to keep the cost around $500.
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Re: I may need a gigging amp...

Used silverface Bassman head with homemade (or Avatar) cabinet. Mod head to taste. (Edit: no reverb though - sounds like you might want it.)

Also, check the latest Guitar Player's review of club combos - they liked several of them, in all price ranges.

Thirdly, Peavy Classic 30 or 50?
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

A Hot Rod Deluxe might fit the bill? I just picked one up used for $350. It's now my main gigger. It has great cleans and decent verb. I just put a 12AU7
      in V2 and it helped smooth out the O.D. channel. But I do prefer to use pedals for O.D. with this amp.
      http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

I don't know much about the old Silverfaces, modded or unmodded. Tell me more.

I'll see if I can dig up that GP article. Perhaps its online.

My first reaction to both the Peavey 30 (haven't ever played a 50) and the HR Deluxe is that both may have a tendency to sound more bluesy than I'm looking for. Not to say they couldn't be goaded into working, but I really like there's a certain crispness that I look for that I've never heard in those amps. Perhaps I've just EQ'd them wrong, though. I'll have to go sit down with both of them again.
        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

Comment

I agree with both those choices.

the SF heads are one of the good deals on a hand wired head, but you can expect a little tech fee to get one up to snuff

I haven't played the HRDs that much, but I always thought that was one of the most portable gigging packages that Fender makes.
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

Fender custom vibrolux reverb. 40w, 2x10, with reverb and tremolo.

Almost the EXACT mid point between a tweed bassman and a blackface twin.

Caveat: this amp is designed to overdrive fairly early. If you need more clean headroom, theres a small, inexpensive mod that can be done to boost the headroom. I made my mod switchable so I can have either.

Check out TGWIF's vibrolux post for his impressions...

For cheaper, I'd thoroughly recommend the Peavey Delta Blues 2x10. Awesome amp for the dough.
            Originally posted by Jolly
            ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Traynor YCV40, either the 112 or the 210
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Believe it or not, I started on drums. Then I decided to become a musician.

Comment

I've never played a Traynor. I wonder if there are any dealers in town.

Comment

Yeah, I've heard great things about the Traynors, though I've never played through one.
                  Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

I checked; the nearest dealer is 90 minutes away. Perhaps one weekend I'll drive over to jackson and try one out.

Comment

Based purely on looks alone, Here's your amp, baby. You know you want it.
                      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Working...
                      X