I got the AD60VTX!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got the AD60VTX!!!

Just got back guys. Went to GC and they matched the price on MF saving me the sales tax. Now of course it's predictable that the salesman would say this but he did confirm that this line of the Valvetronix does have better models than the lower AD series like the 15, 30, 50 & 100.

I'm going to plug her in in about an hour after my daughters take their nap and do some recording. The only thing I didn't like was that they only order one each of the 60 and 120 so they are out on the floor so they are the floor models. With this amp and the problems they are noted for this makes me pretty nervous.

She's a great looking amp and small enough to do exactly what I want, which is to go from the second floor (bedroom) for recording and playing at low volumes or to the basement for cranking it up!

I saw the Crate Palomino and V-amps too. Swweeeet looking amps. The smaller one is only $279 and the salesman liked that and the 30 watter the best. When I sell the Vetta, I should have a lot left over so maybe that's my next strike.......

My stuff is getting smaller, but the tone is getting better.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Re: I got the AD60VTX!!!

I forgot to thank everyone, especially John aka stratdeluxer for really helping out with their opinions and knowledge. I'm looking forward to adding the V30, and doing other little things to make this a better sounding amp.

700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

yep.. the cloth grille ones have better sounding models than the metal grille ones.

or so the salesman here claims, so take it with a grain of salt.

wish i could get one for cheap here

Comment

Enjoy!!!!!
        '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

Originally posted by 75lespaul
          I forgot to thank everyone, especially John aka stratdeluxer for really helping out with their opinions and knowledge. I'm looking forward to adding the V30, and doing other little things to make this a better sounding amp.
          Enjoy your amp and you're very welcome....The VTX series doesn't suffer the issues of the earlier VT series and I did alot of research on these amps before buying the head version of the VTX 120 amp...I've had mine I think a year now or longer and I've had 0 problems with mine...I've gigged with it outside at full volume,I've practiced through it loud for several hours at a time with my band,and I play through it all the time here at home...I still play through my tube amps,but I Love this amp and all of the great features and great sounding models it offers....I don't like all of the models,but there are quite a few of them that I really enjoy...Great amp...Enjoy it...

The Vintage 30s are icing on the cake or even consider 1 V30 and 1 G12H-30 in your's....
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

WOW!!! Yep--the salesman was right. Compared to the models I had on the AD50VT that I sent back to MF, this amp sounds much better. The very first thing I noticed is that the 1 watt setting sounds nice for bedroom levels and the 15 watt setting sounds way better. Only had it on the 60 watts for a few moments and to my ancient ears it sounded exactly the same, just louder. I like the effects a lot.

Here's the thing--and man am I glad I can keep it at 15 watts--this amp sounds like it has a blanket over it at low volumes but when I peak the master and the volume it opens up....WIDE. The Vox models are perfect for me. Very Voxy Baby. The AC30TB sounds a ton like my 65 all tube Vox student amp, which is what started this mess, lol. The Fenders are really great and the Marshall models are worlds apart from the AD50VT--as long as they are cranked. The UK blues, based on a JTM-45 sounded just like a Marshall to me. Can't say exactly like a JTM-45, but if I was blindfolded, I'd say it was a Marshall. I used the Mesa model and almost nailed Black Sabbath's Mob Rules tone. I'm pretty sure Iommi was using Mesa Boogies on that album.

Since it's a 60 watt amp I can use the V30, and with a 2X12 I can use my 16 ohm speakers and make an 8 ohm cab for some extra oomph when I need it. I'll try two V30s, two G12H30s and a mix of the two....ok, I'm rambling. I'm just pretty happy. Hopefully, the honeymoon doesn't end. Unlike my Vetta which is 300 watts and has to be up really loud to sound great, this I can keep at 15 and do the same thing. The models do sound more tubey as well compared to the Line 6, which is in no way a slap at the Vetta.

I can't wait to go through the manual and really learn the amp. I wonder if someday Vox will come out with a version that can use the two amps at once feature which is what really makes the Vetta shine. With this amp, that would REALLY be sick!

Comment

WOW!!! Yep--the salesman was right. Compared to the models I had on the AD50VT that I sent back to MF, this amp sounds much better. The very first thing I noticed is that the 1 watt setting sounds nice for bedroom levels and the 15 watt setting sounds way better. Only had it on the 60 watts for a few moments and to my ancient ears it sounded exactly the same, just louder. I like the effects a lot.

Here's the thing--and man am I glad I can keep it at 15 watts--this amp sounds like it has a blanket over it at low volumes but when I peak the master and the volume it opens up....WIDE. The Vox models are perfect for me. Very Voxy Baby. The AC30TB sounds a ton like my 65 all tube Vox student amp, which is what started this mess, lol. The Fenders are really great and the Marshall models are worlds apart from the AD50VT--as long as they are cranked. The UK blues, based on a JTM-45 sounded just like a Marshall to me. Can't say exactly like a JTM-45, but if I was blindfolded, I'd say it was a Marshall. I used the Mesa model and almost nailed Black Sabbath's Mob Rules tone. I'm pretty sure Iommi was using Mesa Boogies on that album.

Since it's a 60 watt amp I can use the V30, and with a 2X12 I can use my 16 ohm speakers and make an 8 ohm cab for some extra oomph when I need it. I'll try two V30s, two G12H30s and a mix of the two....ok, I'm rambling. I'm just pretty happy. Hopefully, the honeymoon doesn't end. Unlike my Vetta which is 300 watts and has to be up really loud to sound great, this I can keep at 15 and do the same thing. The models do sound more tubey as well compared to the Line 6, which is in no way a slap at the Vetta.

I can't wait to go through the manual and really learn the amp. I wonder if someday Vox will come out with a version that can use the two amps at once feature which is what really makes the Vetta shine. With this amp, that would REALLY be sick!
              The BF 2X12(Twin model)is my favorite model and I use that setting to run my pedals into the Vox...I Like the AC30 tones over the AC30TB...To me and it's just my opinion is that the UK70,UK80,and UK90 models are weird in the mids...I'm an old Vintage Marshall amp user(Still own my 1987 50 watter and owned JCM 800S)...The V30s really seemed to help the mids out for me with these models,but not with the Neo-Dogs...The Neos are tight and have alot of highs and lows,but the mids were too scooped out...The V30s have more overall mids and strong lower mids and are looser in the feel..This looseness helps the clean Vox/Fender tones sound warmer,looser,and less hi fi to my ears..The Modern UK and the Soldano models really rock with alot of gain,but you can still keep some note articulation...The "UK70 Plexi" model needs Treble Boost with the gain dialed up quite a bit to get it to grind right to my ears...The UK80 JCM 800 is miles better now with the V30 speakers...

Clean tones are always better and have more "air" or dimension with an open backed cab....

Projection,lows,and overall tightness with your gained up tones for rockin hard are better through a closed back cab,but this is just one's opinion...
              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Well, I'm gonna go record a little with the Vox. I wonder if the local amp tech would be able to (I'm pretty anal with this 16 ohm thing, lol) wire up the 8 ohm output to cut off the internal speaker so I could just switch the ohms to 16 and use one of my external cabs? That would RULE! I would probably kill the warranty so I'll wait until that's over. Gonna ask him Monday though.

Later guys. Gonna have some fun. Still have yet to hear my strat through this baby. Used one of the Les Pauls before.

Comment

the Dumble clean is a good model as well. I also liked the tweed bassman on that one. plus, the vox ones of course!

Pretty darn good amp, bang for the buck wise. I really like how it's the only modeling amp that actually feels like a real amp when you go to the control panel. It's laid out like an amp is supposed to be and there are no 17 layers of menus to scroll through.

Good choice.

Any love for the Neo Dog speaker?

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
                    the Dumble clean is a good model as well. I also liked the tweed bassman on that one. plus, the vox ones of course!

Pretty darn good amp, bang for the buck wise. I really like how it's the only modeling amp that actually feels like a real amp when you go to the control panel. It's laid out like an amp is supposed to be and there are no 17 layers of menus to scroll through.

Good choice.

Scott....Always being a tube amp snob,I wonder if guys laugh at me when I rave about this ss modeling amp? I still enjoy the feeling of plugging into my tube amps and there's that something in the feel and vibe of a great tube amp,but this VT amp is really alot of fun and you can get some great tone out of it....I pulled the 2 Neo-Dogs out of the matching AD 2x12 Vox cab and opted for the much better sounding Vintage 30s..

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F

Good choice.

+1 on that menu thing! I feel like I'm programming a computer with the Vetta. I really like that amp though. Only thing is I don't use it much because it is so loud.

Well, I don't really know yet about the speaker. I'm the kind of person who's like "wow, that sounds great" then I'll put in another speaker and it's like "wow, that sounds even greater!" I hate that about myself, lol, I'm too easy to please.

When I used my Vetta with a 4x12 loaded with Eminence Legend V12's the amp sounded fantastic, but the bottom end was flubby and "gassy" if you know what I mean. I swapped in the Celestion G12H90 speakers and now it sounds wonderful all around. I've heard from a few people on this forum though that will not happen with the Vox using the V30's so I've got three V30's and two G12H30's just sitting. They are going to get put to work!

I'm wondering if that wet blanket sound at low volumes is because of the speaker.

Comment

+1 on that menu thing! I feel like I'm programming a computer with the Vetta. I really like that amp though. Only thing is I don't use it much because it is so loud.

Well, I don't really know yet about the speaker. I'm the kind of person who's like "wow, that sounds great" then I'll put in another speaker and it's like "wow, that sounds even greater!" I hate that about myself, lol, I'm too easy to please.

When I used my Vetta with a 4x12 loaded with Eminence Legend V12's the amp sounded fantastic, but the bottom end was flubby and "gassy" if you know what I mean. I swapped in the Celestion G12H90 speakers and now it sounds wonderful all around. I've heard from a few people on this forum though that will not happen with the Vox using the V30's so I've got three V30's and two G12H30's just sitting. They are going to get put to work!

I'm wondering if that wet blanket sound at low volumes is because of the speaker.
                        The crappy sound at low volumes is simply physics....You need to move some air to get great tone....

Comment

Well, I just spent a few hours fiddling and recording with the amp. I am detecting the harshness that a few people had talked about, but it recorded extremely well. Hopefully the speaker change will clean that up. I used my stratocaster through the Bassman, and my Les Paul through the JTM-45. This is where the model really sounded like a Marshall to me. Just playing through the amp, it's Marshally but on "tape" it really sounds like a Marshall IMO. I've owned a few so I'm no stranger to the sound.

Used my 65 Vox student for a third rhythm track and that's a pure tube amp, then compared them. I couldn't tell the difference between solid state and tube. The sound was punchy, snappy and full. Dare I say lush? No effects, just guitar, cord and amp.

Comment

I play on my Vox AD60VTH head every day. You really have to spend some time playing with all the models, along with the OD models at the same time, to extract the greatness out of these amps. If a model sounds metallic with the gain up, try using that one with the gain really low. There's lots of possibilities when you learn to tailor each amp with one of the 3 OD models, just to shape each amp tone.

I really like the amp the best running into a Marshall Vin 30/G-75T cab, so it forces the amp to retain that authentic British sound. If you choose Vox or Fender type cabs, the clean models will improve, but the gainy models get more sterile.

Another thing I did was to pull out the stock Sovtek 12AX7 WC tube, and put in a higher quality one, since the amp does rely on some of the tube tone from that pre tube. I put in a new Tungsol, and I think it sounds just a tad better. At least worth the effort of changing the tube. You have to pull out the chassis, and wiggle the tube, while using a butter knife to pry the tube away from it's socket. The tube is buried deep inside of the amp, so you've got to use that trick to change it.
                            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                              I play on my Vox AD60VTH head every day. You really have to spend some time playing with all the models, along with the OD models at the same time, to extract the greatness out of these amps. If a model sounds metallic with the gain up, try using that one with the gain really low. There's lots of possibilities when you learn to tailor each amp with one of the 3 OD models, just to shape each amp tone.

I really like the amp the best running into a Marshall Vin 30/G-75T cab, so it forces the amp to retain that authentic British sound. If you choose Vox or Fender type cabs, the clean models will improve, but the gainy models get more sterile.

Another thing I did was to pull out the stock Sovtek 12AX7 WC tube, and put in a higher quality one, since the amp does rely on some of the tube tone from that pre tube. I put in a new Tungsol, and I think it sounds just a tad better. At least worth the effort of changing the tube. You have to pull out the chassis, and wiggle the tube, while using a butter knife to pry the tube away from it's socket. The tube is buried deep inside of the amp, so you've got to use that trick to change it.
                              GJ great post buddy!
                              I'm not a fan of the 75 watt Celestions but I will say that both my 2x12 Vox AD 2X12 cab and my Marshall AV 4x12 w/V30s sounds great with the VT head going through it...The V30s work great in alot of cabs and situations(open or closed backed)...They are pretty hard to beat..

Comment

Working...
                              X