Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking to go more "vintage".....

Originally posted by sooperunkn
    You're exactly right about the PV Ultras w/ Soundgarden... They used them on Screaming Life and Louder Than Love too. I saw them live quite a few times and Thayil was still using them supporting Badmotorfinger... although, coincidentily enough, he switched to Dual Rectos after that!

Kyuss you rock! Get over to Boston so we can team up and take over the world! My Paul is loaded with a Custom 5 and a Jazz and I friggin nail One Inch Man tone all day through my Boogie!!!

This is really weird reading this thread because I think Daisy (ouch) is going through EXACTLY what I went through a couple of years ago. My Paul had EMGs in it as well and I was running that through my 3-channel Dual Rectifier, which I got for it's balls and versatility. But the setup just wasn't getting what I was after (which sounds like is exactly what you're after). My feeling about EMGs is that they pretty much sound the same regardless of what guitar they're in.... which is good if you've got a junker, but bad if you've got a toneful Les Paul. They just don't breathe.

I really think you should first start with a nice set of passive pickups before you make an amp purchase. The Rectos are very versatile. You also may want to consider trying out different cabs too. I recently switched to a Marshall 1960A and I was AMAZED at how different my rig sounded. A lot (not all but enough to make a significant difference) of the low end you hear is due to your cab. The Recto cabs are highly sought after... you can get a decent amount of money if you decide to get rid of it. Switching cabs, pups, and tubes is a lot cheaper than getting another amp only to find out that wasn't the problem.

Just trying to throw another angle at you man. Don't underestimate your Boogie!

And another thing.... get a better Univibe... you'll sh!t your pants at how bad that Dunlop sounds versus a Fulltone or Sweetsound. Try to use ALL ANALOG effects.

Good luck!
    Like I say, I still like the EMG+Recto sound, it's just not what I'm after. I'm going to try that different cabs suggestion though, and I know what you mean about big changes; when I bought a 2x10 for my bass rig I plugged it into my guitar rig and liked it so much I haven't unplugged it since. So I figure that armed with that knowledge I'm going to plug into alot more.

Oddly enough though, with this new Laney head I'm once again happy with the EMGs. I'm still going to grab a pair of passives to experiment with, but I think alot of people in this thread have been dancing around the fact that I have a nitro powered 6L6 Rectifier, and I was looking for something more British/EL34 sounding. That said (and before it's suggested again) I do plan on loading a set of EL34s in the Recto, just to see how they sound.

I've been looking at a MojoVibe for awhile.....but it always seems to be #2 on the priority list.

Originally posted by newking70
    as far as an amp, consider a laney iommi head very simple and brutal.........
    I already have one....the pics on the last page.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by sooperunkn

Kyuss you rock! Get over to Boston so we can team up and take over the world! My Paul is loaded with a Custom 5 and a Jazz and I friggin nail One Inch Man tone all day through my Boogie!!!
      I've still not got the Kyuss tone right to be perfectly honest. The Gardenia tone is pretty much my benchmark for the ultimate guitar sound, but i cant nail it. I think it is somewhere between Marshall and Mesa, I have never found conclusive proof of what Homme used on that record, some people reckon its the Tone Works rig, some say it was the Ampeg V4, so I dunno. Maybe i need something more USA voiced than my DSL. Although i'm sure the fact that its a small combo limits me a bit.

Boston... thats tempting! I would invite you to Birmingham... but its a bit of a dump. So I wont!
      "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Get some low output pickups - NOT EMG - try Duncan APH1's and a Marshall 800 or Plexi, Orange AD30 or 140, Bogner Shiva - never look back.

These things gain up with pedals more than you know, should you wanna shred again!
        1973 Les Paul Standard
        1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Working...
        X