Cranked amp to 10.. thought attenuator was about to melt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cranked amp to 10.. thought attenuator was about to melt

Just out of interest, are there companies that sell beefier aftermarket transformers to put into amps?

Was thinking about it...comparing my Fender amp to my home hi-fi amp...the hifi amp is fairly small, has half the interior taken up by the two transformers, and weighs about 16kg...the Fender is much larger (2x12) and weighs 28kg all up...bit of a difference in philosophy there...although I guess the hi-fi amp is aiming at huge power reserves for really clean low-mid volume performance...

Hmmmm

Comment

Oh yeah if you want a REAL attenuator spend the extra $$ and get and Airbrake. That thing rules. You can handle it with your bare hands immediately after a high-volume workout.[/QUOTE]

Whether it gets hot or not is not an implication as to the quality of the unit. Most are supposed to get hot, just how they are designed. Maybe if you are cooking eggs on the thing there is a concern... My Mass gets plenty hot, but it is supposed to. We need to be careful in saying that only one brand works. There are many quality products on the market, that all do very similiar things, and at reasonable volumes will all sound extremely close to each other. The technology is good these days and for the most part build are similiar, either resistor or speaker motor methods. It really comes down to getting the right power application for your particular gear.
      ]
      FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
        You won't need to switch it to 25 watts. I've switched mine to half power and barely noticed any difference. That's what the master volume is for and I get plenty good tones at low volume although lately it's been getting run at 4 on the master. Sweetness.

Yeah, I was thinking of the GH50L. I really like that amp. Don't go giving me GAS. Last think I need to tell my wife is I got GAS for another amp....lol. I haven't tried the Iommi amp but considering who it's designed for, you know that thing is a monster.
        On the half power setting you talking about volume right? For me on the half power setting the volume is basically the same, but the tone is darker and I think the amp overdrives earlier.
        Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
        Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
        Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
        Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
        Fender Frontman 15g
        Cry Baby
        Boss DS-2
        Boss CE-3
        Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Originally posted by greendy123
          On the half power setting you talking about volume right? For me on the half power setting the volume is basically the same, but the tone is darker and I think the amp overdrives earlier.
          Exactly. There's not much of a volume drop at all. It just changes from pentode to triode mode.

Comment

Whether it gets hot or not is not an implication as to the quality of the unit. Most are supposed to get hot, just how they are designed. Maybe if you are cooking eggs on the thing there is a concern... My Mass gets plenty hot, but it is supposed to. We need to be careful in saying that only one brand works. There are many quality products on the market, that all do very similiar things, and at reasonable volumes will all sound extremely close to each other. The technology is good these days and for the most part build are similiar, either resistor or speaker motor methods. It really comes down to getting the right power application for your particular gear.
            I was kinda joking about the "get a REAL attenuator" bit but the fact is the Airbrake is a killer attenuator that doesnt kill tone and doesn't get very hot even after being fed some high wattages for extended periods of time. Good engineering, I guess.

Comment

Working...
            X