has anyone ever played...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone ever played...

a marshall jmp-1 preamp into a mesa 20/20 poweramp? what does everybody think of these units? (just in general)

i've been looking at rack gear just for the heck of it, and i've come up with the idea of constructing a simple rack setup for the sake of easy setup/teardown at shows, the fact that everything is together in one case, and to have as a second amp.

i would get my hands on one of those 4-space rack cases that have the slot on the bottom where you can put a head. i'd have a power conditioner, the jmp, the 20/20, and a rackmount tuner in the rack, with my dual recto head on the bottom as a backup amp.

of course this is all just an idea. i'm starting to think of a good way i can spend my christmas money though
    gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
    '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
    mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
    marshall 1960A 4x12
    and a few pedals

Re: has anyone ever played...

I like the JMP-1. If I could afford one I'd get it to have as an alternative to my Line6 AX2. Odly enough, I can't find anything I like enought to REPLACE the AX2... hmmm....

To stay on topic, the JMP-1 w/ a 20/20 sounds like it would be a great sounding low power rig. I say go for it and post clips!
    www.lockwireguitars.com

Comment

I've never played that but, I remember once seeing a Led Zeppelin tribute band in the UK and the guitarist had a JMP-1 and a Mesa power amp, not sure if it was the 20/20, but surely they cant differ too much in sound. Lets just say he didn't really capture the Jimmy Page tone, but he did have a great tone none the less. It was a very clear and clean distortion, but with tremendous power and no flabby bottom end. He did also use Custom Les Pauls and PRS' though.
      '00 Ibanez RG470 TB-6 / APS-2 / SH-6n (Fully Chromed hardware inc Orig Floyd)
      '81 Gibson Les Paul Custom JB / PGn
      '05 Custom Hardtail Strat Sh-5b / SH-2n

Laney GH100TI & the matching 4x12
      Engl Thunder 50 Combo
      TC Electronic G Major
      Korg DTR2000 Tuner

Comment

Originally posted by pinto79
        I like the JMP-1. If I could afford one I'd get it to have as an alternative to my Line6 AX2. Odly enough, I can't find anything I like enought to REPLACE the AX2... hmmm....

To stay on topic, the JMP-1 w/ a 20/20 sounds like it would be a great sounding low power rig. I say go for it and post clips!
        haha well it might be a quite some time before i'd be able to do either, gotta save up some $$$ first.

i haven't played through either pieces of gear, but i've read and heard wonderful things about the JMP-1. and with that paired up with a low-wattage poweramp, i'd like to think that i could get a good tone at a more reasonable volume on stage.

too bad about to quit my job, haha....one of these days though, one of these days
        gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
        marshall 1960A 4x12
        and a few pedals

Comment

I think you'll be making a big mistake if you buy a rack with space for a head + rack gear, similar to the one in my avatar. My avatar isn't what I use, just a head/cabinet in Tuki covers. Those roadcases are for touring acts with roadies and big trucks. At one point, I used a setup like that, and it was a b!tch to move around. Totally not worth it.

The JMP-1 sounds great with Mesa power amps, but I've only used it with the Mesa 295. Nice rig, but you'll want it in a light SKB rack.....so much easier to deal with. I wonder how the JMP-1 would sound, plugged into the FX return of your head's FX loop? That's where you'd plug a preamp into.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
            I think you'll be making a big mistake if you buy a rack with space for a head + rack gear, similar to the one in my avatar. My avatar isn't what I use, just a head/cabinet in Tuki covers. Those roadcases are for touring acts with roadies and big trucks. At one point, I used a setup like that, and it was a b!tch to move around. Totally not worth it.

The JMP-1 sounds great with Mesa power amps, but I've only used it with the Mesa 295. Nice rig, but you'll want it in a light SKB rack.....so much easier to deal with. I wonder how the JMP-1 would sound, plugged into the FX return of your head's FX loop? That's where you'd plug a preamp into.
            are those cases really that terrible? i figured that with this kind of setup, you'd be able to have your main amp and a backup all in one box, and only have to make two trips (one for the cabinet) to take it in. and if it's got casters, then the only thing you'd need a second person for is stairs, and maybe big sidewalk cracks (but then again, there are sidewalk cracks and stairs pretty much everywhere).

maybe after i get some $$$ i'll slowly start collecting this setup, starting with the preamp...that way i would at least be able to use it through my FX loop like you mentioned.

man, talk about GAS!
            gear:

marshall 1960A 4x12
            and a few pedals

Comment

I don't think he's saying they're "terrible"....just terribly bulky & terribly HEAVY!!!

I've had aJMP-1 & a Mesa 20/20, but not together....both units are very good & would probably be sweet together.

Marshall actually makes/made 3 1-u space pieces:

Marshall EL84 20/20(power amp)
              Marshall JMP-1(pre-amp)
              Marshall JFX-1 (multi-effects unit)

Pair them up with a power conditioner in one of those rack bags & you'd have anice quick grab & go rig.

Problem is: the Mesa is a better built power amp(translate costs more) & better sounding.

The JFX is tough to find too....

Try:

Mesa 20/20
              Marshall JMP-1
              G-major
              Power conditioner

Add a footswitch & you'll be set!!!

Oh...& the JMP-1 is expensive new, but the resale is crap by comparison. You can find a nice used one for $400.00.

With patience, you could probably find that whole rig for a little more than $1000.00

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
              Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
              FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
              http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

I might urge you to go with the 50/50 instead of the 20/20...power isn't a problem, but the 6l6s have a fatter sound, IMO. Just a thought...try it out and see if you like the tone...

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by msawitzke
                  I might urge you to go with the 50/50 instead of the 20/20...power isn't a problem, but the 6l6s have a fatter sound, IMO. Just a thought...try it out and see if you like the tone...

Mike
                  thanks for the suggestion. although i may have to add the fact that typically i like the tone of EL34's over 6L6's. i do have to say though that i'm not too firmiliar with EL84's. i mentioned the 20/20 pretty much just because of the lower power rating.

but that does bring up another question...how do EL84's sound compared to both 6L6 and EL34's?
                  gear:

marshall 1960A 4x12
                  and a few pedals

Comment

Working...
                  X