banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Small Amp And Pedal Combo For Vh Sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Small Amp And Pedal Combo For Vh Sound?

HEY EVERYONE I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR A SMALL (30 WATTS OR UNDER) AMP/ PEDAL OR BOTH THAT WOULD GET ME AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE TO THE VH 1 SOUND? <<<<for bedroom use i know i can't get to close and everything, any suggestions?

Re: Good Small Amp And Pedal Combo For Vh Sound?

yeh, unless you're willing to shell out on a 100w plexi, then mod it to the right EVH spec, then install a PPIMV and triode switch or get an attenuator, then buy a 4x12 with greenbacks, oh not to mention an equaliser pedal and a delay pedal, you're not going to nail the sound at bedroom volume.

having said that, I've heard clips of POD's and people have got pretty damn close with them:

Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
    Marshall Mods

Comment

Get a Vox Valvetronix head/Marshall cabinet. For home practicing, it's the best way to get good cranked tube amp tones. For VH, use the UK 70's amp + 1 of the OD models, till it's dialed in to sound like the VH albums.
      I get the closest with a 59, C-5, or CC.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

dude i am in the same boat as you are, as i am trying to get a awesome sound in the bedroom.
        of course this is really tough and close to impossible.

i dont know if it would be worth getting a good amp and putting a hotplate on it to be able to push the amp a bit at a reasonable volume.
        i have heard VHT's and they sound pretty darn good even at low volume as well as a soldano.
        i havent had the fortune to play the stuff the Gearjoneser has played though, but i have played through the Vox Valvetronix and i didnt really like it too much.
        i did however hear a Crate GFX 120 and it sounded pretty darn good for a SS amp. it was smooth and not buzzy at all. didnt have as much punch as the SS AVSmarshalls but it sounds way better than the Marshall in my opinion.

i read about the Crate in this site

what do the others think about the site?
        i dont think the guy can play Halen well at all but the sound he gets on the clips is damn good even for a SS.

i had a Marshall JTM60 and the crate kicks its butt. i also think that it is better than a few tube amps out there.

anybody else have any ideas on this?

if i had the resources ( unfortunatly i live in Greece and there isnt a huge variety of amps and gear here) i would try a bunch of amps and see if an attenuator would do the trick for having the power stage of the amp work a bit at low levels.

VHT really rocked my boat as well as the Soldano but those suckers cost a "#$!#$ load.
        Ibanez Roadstar II
        EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
        VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Jack Nicholson: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Comment

A Tech 21 Trademark 60 will get you a range of great tones (including VH style) at bedroom to gigging volumes. Great sounding, portable, versatile amp at a great price. Check out the soundclips.

Comment

Boss GT-6, dude. I run mine through a 10 watt practice amp with a tiny speaker (at home) and can get a ton of great sounds at ultra-low volume. The feel isn't necessarily there, but it sounds great
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

if you guys dont believe me about the crate then download the 'You really got me' clip that the guy plays and then play the original Ed version and see how close the sound is.

here is the url for the clip

Ibanez Roadstar II
              EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
              VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Jack Nicholson: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Comment

+

=

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

if you have a bit of cash to spend, I'd go for a soldano atomic or astroverb combo. They sound great at reasonable volumes. Otherwise, I've heard the eruption patch on the podxt and it sounded pretty dead on to me...
                  Originally posted by Jolly
                  ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99

+

=

Ha Ha!

I don't have the MXR EVH, but I do have a BYOC phaser kit sitting here waiting to be built.

Comment

The VH setting on the TM60 is pretty d@mned good.

With the right pedal(s) & pickup, you can nail it pretty well.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                      Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                      FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by tone?
                        i havent had the fortune to play the stuff the Gearjoneser has played though, but i have played through the Vox Valvetronix and i didnt really like it too much.
                        Most people who try out the amp in the store just hear the combo and spin the amp dial, looking for a good sound, including me when I first tried it. It's not until you buy the head, and put it on a Marshall cab, that you start to hear it sounding like a convincing amp tone. The best way to use the Valvetronix is to always use an OD model to help shape the amp models. You can get any shade of gain, if you get creative with the amps/OD models.

As for the brown sound, Marshall cabs are HALF of that sound, so it sounds much better when you actually use one. When you hear the direct modeling tone, it's OK, but it sounds more Marshall-like with the authentic cab under it.
                        The Recto and clean models are actually some of the best sounds you can get out of it. It's harder to pull out the good Marshall tones, but they're in there.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

thanx, I have the evh 78' pickups just looking for what will get closest at a room volume

Comment

Get a POD or some other modeller and tweak away. Only other way is to have 100w Super Lead cranked with a Variac to drop the voltage down to 90V or so but we all know your neighbors may not appreciate that much.

Terry, you're graphic representation is great.

Comment

ok, POD or the CM plexitone pedal?

Comment

Working...
                              X