banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tube or Solid State-for my Line 6 Pod Pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube or Solid State-for my Line 6 Pod Pro?

well,i've got a line 6 pod pro(the original version,not "xt" series)rack-mount unit.it will be going into a mesa boogie std 4x12 cab w/v30's speakers.for those of use who are familiar with the line 6 pod series,i exclusively use the "modern high gain" amp selection which is modeled after a 1988 soldano x88 preamp.my question is : do i match this unit up with a tube power amp or a solid state power amp.i read somewhere recently that since the amp modeled is a very high gain digital signal,a tube amp is the only correct way(preserving the digital modeling signal's true tone) to go,such as the mesa boogie 50/50 tube power amp(which is a very popular choice for use with digital amp modeling. is there any truth to this and/or what are your recommendations??? thanks!

Re: Tube or Solid State-for my Line 6 Pod Pro?

ya, the tube power amp is definatly the way to go. the only way to run any POD is through some kind of nutral tube setup. the mesa 50/50s are supposed to be killer for this. i say go for that one, or i hear carvin makes a good tube power amp.
    my gear: '80s fender bullet (tele style)
    fender dg20ce acoustic
    peavey blazer 15 watt
    line 6 pod 2.3 and floorboard
    Atomic Reactor 112
    Warmoth double fat strat w/ SD Jb bridge and Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell

Comment

I'm a tube snob, so go tube!

Comment

it depends, do you want to hear what's coming from your modeler, or do you want coloration?

I use a Mesa 50:50 with my GT-8 and get great results, but it does color my tone a bit, which is what I like.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Run it through a VHT 2502 with JJe34ls.

If you use a SS amp though, one benefit is less amp noise. Just a thought.
          Egnater M4 (2) Recto, Blackface, Plexi
          VHT 2502
          (2) Randal XLT 4X12
          (2) Jackson SL2H USA Soloist (SH-1n, TB-6b)
          Jackson SL1 (Classic Stack, Classic Stack, TB-6b)
          Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus & TS-9 Baked Mod
          http://www.robertkeeley.com
          Line 6 Echo Pro and Mod Pro
          Chandler Digital Echo Delay

Comment

If you've got plenty of EQ available, the Atomic Reactor is a pretty dang good rig...I hated it at first, but after getting into the parametric EQ on the POD XTL, and fiddling I'm finally getting some great tones with it..it still sounds digital compared to the Vox Tonelab SE, but not bad...
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Working...
            X