OK, the warranty's out on my DSL401..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, the warranty's out on my DSL401..

i'm looking to upgrade some of the cheaper parts on it!

speakers would be something to consider later - i'm thinking about the plastic jack connectors, the possibility of a small fan to keep the air moving, maybe the pots and filter caps as well? i'd only be upgrading, i'm pretty happy with the tones i can get..

the reliability problems you hear about with the DSL401 are mainly due to how hot it gets.. (early ones only.. later ones seem fine!) as a result, i'm thinking of a small PC case fan, with something to diffuse the current of air so it's not in all one direction - i don't fancy the idea of cooling one side of each tube down

other than that, i'd check everything solder-wise over - dry joints are the death of too many good amps hehe

i've retubed, rebiased and cleaned out the pots before now, but i've only ever worked on pedals and pickups with a soldering iron.. i have respect for the electricity these things put out, too. i'll be reading up on it beforehand

anyone done this to a cheaper amp? what would be your list of upgrade priorities?

tom

Re: OK, the warranty's out on my DSL401..

The fan is a good idea, I installed one from Radio Shack and it kept the amp cool. I upgraded the speaker to a Vintage 30- I wouldn't recommend it, you're better off getting a closed back cab, maybe a 2x12 with Vintage 30's. The open back hinders the speakers.

Comment

if you're upgrading the capacitors, use the ones from www.sozoamplification.com, they're undoubtedly the best around for Marshalls. Shipping to the UK is only $2.50!
      Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
      Marshall Mods

Comment

If you get a fan, make sure it is VERY quiet, preferably with a switch, so you can turn it off when you record. Sometimes, you can have a microphonic tube that will pickup that air motion.

The DSL 401 is one of my favorite amps, but it's not the the best built amp in the world.

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

agreed.. only a very small fan is needed really; it's just to keep the air moving! i'd probably be able to manage a small on/off switch on the back grill.. 5v or so should be more than sufficient..

tom

Comment

Working...
          X