Getting better cleans out of my Crate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting better cleans out of my Crate

I got a Crate Vintage Club 20 today...been playing it for a couple of hours now. I'm digging the clipping on this thing when it's cranked, but the cleans leave much to be desired. It sounds muffled. What can I do about this...a treble boost or something? I already know I want to put a new speaker in it...I ran the extension out to the 12" EV in my Ampeg and it sounds a whole lot better..still not happy with the cleans though.

Any suggestions on good 10" speakers would be welcome too.

Re: Getting better cleans out of my Crate

Celestion's Heritage 10's are cool, though a bit boxy sounding (in a good way).

What kind of preamp tubes is it running?

Maybe going to a 12AY7 or 12AU7 would help the cleans.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

When you say "muffled", can you be a little more descriptive? Lacking highs, I assume?

Any new amp takes time to get to know. I would suggest that you play it for a few days before actually doing anything to it. Between now and then, let's discuss the hell out of all of the different things that you can do to it.
      Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

It's TOTALLY lacking highs...like someone threw a wet blanket over the thing. I just got of AIM with Xero and he suggested a tube change. It makes sense to me, but I'm tube-stupid. I was just worried this was a characteristic of the amp, I'm confident now it is not.

So what's a good 10"? I have been recommended Eminence, I'm leaning toward about the Ramrod right now.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it runs 12ax7's in the preamp...el84's.

Comment

JJ pre's seem to have the fattest, most clean and glassy tone. Put one of those in the 1st position. I've always like Celestions, so that's my only suggestion for speakers.

If you bought it new, consider the idea of making them exchange amps till you find exactly what you want.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

And if it is new, that speaker probably needs to be broken in....

Is it a crap Crate speaker or do they use something different with the VCs?

Celestion G10L-35s are the only 10" I've played so far & they're very well rounded, pretty even on the highs/mids/lows.

I've heard good things about the Emi Ragin Cajun & the Ramrod, but the first & cheapest place to start is probably throwing some different tubes in there.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
              Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
              FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
              http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

I just read the reviews on HC & it seems to be the consensus...tube & speaker swap.

Here's a stupid question: Do you use the volume knob on your guitar at all? Try rolling it down to see if it cleans up a bit....

....at least until you do the swap

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

I have one of these too, and I use a GT12AT7 long plate in V1, it cuts the distortion down a little. In the V2 position, I use a GT12ax7R2, I also use a balanced PI tube GT12ax7M, and I love the little sucker- I play it though a 2x12 cab with a G12H30 and a Greenback.
                  " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

Working...
                  X