Follow up on V30 in Chubster 40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow up on V30 in Chubster 40

I finally gigged out with the Rivera Chubster 40 and the Celestion V30 in place of the stock speaker. All I can say is wow, that's exactly what I was looking for. I got the speaker to break when I wanted to, but it wouldn't get to point of being 'mushy'. It came close once, but I backed off the bass a notch or two, and then it was good to go. I had all the clean headroom I could want, but if I pushed it by strumming hard, it would get just that little bit of hair that sounds oh so sweet.

I'm curious to see how the G12H30 sounds with a V30 and the Rivera Knucklehead 55 pushing the Avatar 2X12. I'm expecting good things!
    PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
    PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
    GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
    Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
    Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
    various pedals

Re: Follow up on V30 in Chubster 40

I haven't been able to get away from Vintage 30's. No matter how many new speakers come out, the Vin 30 remains the standard for most high quality cabs.
    I've been interested in trying out more, but with Vin 30's, it ain't broke, so why fix it?
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Glad ya got the prob solved, chc!

No doubt there isn't a ton of clean headroom in the 40 watter. For me its not a prob as I'm not gigging and for cleans I just generally roll the volume off on the Marshall channel, but I could see where it would be a prob for many folks.
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Cool another V30 post,but in favor of.....I Love V30s and I have a 2x12 and a 4x12 loaded with em....Hard to beat..
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB
          Glad ya got the prob solved, chc!

No doubt there isn't a ton of clean headroom in the 40 watter. For me its not a prob as I'm not gigging and for cleans I just generally roll the volume off on the Marshall channel, but I could see where it would be a prob for many folks.
          Definitely still don't have a ton of clean headroom, but it's enough to get by with. I'm curious to see how much clean is on the Knucklehead being 55 watts and a different model.
          PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
          PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
          GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
          Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
          Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
          various pedals

Comment

Really depends on the amp. I have a pair of V30s and a pair of Governors (Eminence cousin to the V30) and they do not work wit my Rivera S120 amp. That amp was voiced around EV and I use a pair of Alnico 12"SRO's. V30s used with this amp sound like they have a built in Fuzz unit??? I do like the V30s as used in the Traynor 50 watt 1X12 combo.

gt5litre

Comment

Working...
            X