Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting wattage by 50%

Hey guys,

I've read many threads where people describe taking half the amount of tubes (considering there is more than one ) out of an amplifier to half the wattage.

Eg. Take two of four tubes out (preamp or poweramp?) and drop the wattage from 100 to 50.

My question is, assuming it has more than one tube, can this be done with combo amps? For example, a 50w combo amp?

Cheers!
    Originally posted by Kanye West
    Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Re: Cutting wattage by 50%

Ummm...I'm not sure I understand the question as phrased.

Yes, it'll work with a combo amp or a head...no problems there. But, you need to pull a PAIR of tubes. Tubes work in a push/pull configuration...leaving one tube or three tubes is bad news. You can pull either the outside pair or the inside pair, I like pulling the inside pair because it leaves a little more space between the tubes so they run a little cooler and that helps extend the life of the tubes.
    J. 'Moose' Kahrs
    mixer|producer|recordist
    mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
    All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

I'm not too good with writing about technical things, lol.

Thanks for the help J Moose, that helped me out man
      Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

I don't need to lose that much weig....oh nevermind it ain;t that funny is it??
        My Bands -
        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Comment

Do you know if your amp is Class A or class B?
            On a 50w class B amp it's likely that you just have 2 power tubes, therefore you might not be able to remove any. Also, I think you need to double your impedance setting on most amps for the tube->transformer->speakers balance.
            https://www.bandmix.com/stevereed/

Comment

Either double or half, I canīt remember, but Iīm also tending towards double....
              Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

The 8ohm output stays 8ohm....

....but, the tubes react as if they see 16ohm.....

....so to balance out the tone you can plug the 8ohm cab into the 4ohm jack.
                || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Working...
                X