Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Results of Valvetronix experiments (evil laugh) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Originally posted by JeffB
    maybe it's the whole head/combo vs. tonelab thing...... the Rivera tube def made it warmer, but the crappy bass response is still there....I spent about 2.5 hours last night tweaking and tweaking and tweaking....VT def sounds more tube-like, dynamic and warm, but the POD kills it for accurate modelling of the Soldano and 800...

I'm just gonna grab a plexitone I think...I'm tired of foolin with these friggin modelers...
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I'll always be a far bigger fan of good tube amps, but I'll always own a modeling head too. The thing that excites me is that the Vox and L6 is good enough now, but as technology grows, it's going to be amazing in about 5 more years...maybe this year at NAMM??

I just hope the R&D people at these companies pay attention to players, so they can start approaching these amps as tube/modeling hybrids, and eventually make amps that are in the same class as Urei and Avalon mic pres...like top notch classic pieces of gear, using the best of tube, analog, and digital.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
        I'll always be a far bigger fan of good tube amps.
        I guess that's what it boils down to for me Joe. I started playing around with my Rivera again after using the Tonelab and POD XTL exlusively for the past couple weeks through the Atomic, and while they sound OK....when I plugged my hamer into the Rivera...man did that guitar just open up and reinforce how good the guitar *and* amp really is, and what they are capable of. It's night and day. I cannot get remotely close to the balls/sweetness/crunch/open sound and warmth with either modeler through the EL84 atomic.

Based on Steve's clips, I think/hope the Plexitone will me get the kinds of sounds I'm looking for at lower volumes when I cannot push the Rivera's power section.

Sorry for the hijack, I'm glad others are getting sounds they can live with, but I'm just not...and I wish I could cos I like havin all those stompers/effects in one box
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I like the modeling amps much better than the modeling preamps. I never had the Vox unit but I've had the Pod Pro and the newest Pod XT version and neither sounded anywhere as good as the Vetta or the Valvetronix. The Valvetronix is making it hard for me to distinguish that it's not a "real" tube amp. The Vetta--to me--sounds so full and beefy with the two amps at once feature and the simulated effects, stomps etc...it's just a fun amp. There is a certain "feel" lacking with the Vetta, but I can deal with it.
          My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
          or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
          http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
          700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

I wish Line 6 would switch directions towards tube/digital hybrids, like Vox did.
            They really need to face the facts. Digital can get 'sounds', but tubes get 'tone.' Only when they're combined do you get anything that sounds great.
            Personally, I think the answer is to not have 1 or 2 12AX7's, but 4, just like a real 100W power section, then feed that into a SS power section. Vox has the right idea......digital preamp, tube mini power section fed into loud SS power section. I think perfection will come when they create an awesome tube mini power section, then feed it into an even better SS power section.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
              I wish Line 6 would switch directions towards tube/digital hybrids, like Vox did.
              They really need to face the facts. Digital can get 'sounds', but tubes get 'tone.' Only when they're combined do you get anything that sounds great.
              Personally, I think the answer is to not have 1 or 2 12AX7's, but 4, just like a real 100W power section, then feed that into a SS power section. Vox has the right idea......digital preamp, tube mini power section fed into loud SS power section. I think perfection will come when they create an awesome tube mini power section, then feed it into an even better SS power section.
              Great post. I both disagree and agree with different parts. The disagreement is based completely on opinion, and that is just that I think my Vetta does sound great already. I also know that if Line 6 did what you recommended and used tube technology like Vox their amps would probably soar as far as tone and feel. I think the Vox sounds closer to a real tube amp than the line 6, especially at lower volumes. The higher gain patches on the Vetta (to me) sound really good/great but the lower gain like the Fenders, Voxes etc sound like something is missing. My opinion is that the less the gain, the more the lack of tubes shows with these amps.

Like someone said, the next five years or so should really be sweet as far as modeling technology. I think Vox is way ahead of Line 6 though because the Valvetronix top of the line amps are more affordable and sound "better" than the Line 6 top of the line products. The Line 6 Vetta series however has many more features--now if we could combine a Valvetronix and a Vetta, hee hee hee.......

700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

I just want a decent 800 model

Take the VOX warmth and feel, and combine it with the Line 6 accuracy of voicing/EQ and it'd be perfect...

A boy can dream can't he?

That said...

Randall introduced their new hybrid amps in the past couple days....tube preamp, tube-SS hybrid power sections. 400 Watt heads T2 and V2, IIRC. Affordcable combos in the G3 series due January.
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Well, can this be done in the ADVT30? I'm very interested in the experiment.

EDIT: Which MF tube did you get? The Ruby ECC83 or the normal 12AX7 tube? (If possible, post a link)
                  Last edited by A Skater; 11-17-2005, 09:30 PM.
                  A candy coated dream with parks and trees and figurines and her arms wrapped 'round my sleeve.
                  With tiny steps and eyes of green; Toy guitar that's out of tune, eyes fixed on morning time cartoons. And by the lantern of the moon I will dream of a love like you.

Comment

Originally posted by A Skater
                    Well, can this be done in the ADVT30? I'm very interested in the experiment.

EDIT: Which MF tube did you get? The Ruby ECC83 or the normal 12AX7 tube? (If possible, post a link)
                    Hi Skater--

This is the one I got. The reviews were better on this than the 12AX7 so that's what I based it on. I already had the NOS Mullard and the Groove Tubes Mullard reissue on the way so I didn't try any of the others they offer.

Need to find something? Let the Musician's Friend site map guide you to the products you're looking for.

Comment

Working...
                    X