mixing cabs and heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mixing cabs and heads

well im goin gor my first halfs stack and im on a bit of a budget so i need to get some less expensive cabs and heads. so first off is it a good idea to mix and match heads and cabs...if so how could you tell if the mix and matching is good.

Re: mixing cabs and heads

It all varies. It's perfectly fine to mix and match, provided the heads have the power to drive the cabinets. Whether the result is good or not is a matter of taste. Each cabinet will bring a certain colouration to the sound, so you really have to decide what you like.
    Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Comment

cool thanks man....does anyone have any suggestions for a hevy rock tone with lots of distortion with also with nice clean channel so i have somthing to start off of cause i don;t know where i could go around me that i can mix and match the heads.

Comment

Marshall Avt150 head
        Cornford Hellcat
        Peavey 5150 - Marshall 1960A cab

Ibanez 1994 Jem7VWH - Stock
        Fender Strat - Fullshred/Duckbucker/lil59
        Fender Strat - Jb Jr bridge + 2x Fender Single coils
        Fender 1976 Precision Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueLightRideTV

Comment

hey hey budget there buddy that head with cab would prolly be around a grand and i got 600 dollars to fool around with

Comment

Save your money, or get a combo (or both). Something that's worth doing is worth doing right. That Marshall AVT is horrible IMO and if you need cheaper than that...

Sorry I can't suggest anything, my buddy has a Line 6 Spyder and in the big picture it's not that bad... What is your current need? What is your current setup? Are you playing shows that you need a 50-100W head and 4x12 cabinet right now?
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Yeah I would look at getting 2x12, I like how they have the power and are more portable in moving. For head I would start looking at what kind of tones you want. The total would probably end up at $1000 at minimum if you get a head and cab.
              Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
              Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
              Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
              Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
              Fender Frontman 15g
              Cry Baby
              Boss DS-2
              Boss CE-3
              Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

cool thanks a lot guys...... right now im getting my self into playing in a band so this is kinda why i need somthin better now because i only got a fender 25r. so the 2x12 actaully sound logically because if it doesn't work out then at least i got somthing pretty good but i didn't waste to much on something huge.

Comment

what are your guys opinion on ibanez amps because none of the shops around me have them so i can't try them out.do they give nice heavy rock/metal tone with cleans leads as well.

Comment

Hunt around for a used 2x12 cab and 50 or 100 watt tube head. If your patient and a bargin hunter you'll come up with something totally usable for $600-800. I found my Rivera 2x12 used for about $275 and you can usually find Sovtek or Carvin heads, maybe even a Silverface Fender Bassman for $300 or less...even a Marshall Mosfet with some stompboxes would be 'better' then a Line 6, Crate, crappy solid state Marshall or some Ivebeenhad piece of poo. At the very least you won't want to sell it in a year. And I'd go with a 2x12 cab over a 4x12 unless you have a big car and a roadie to carry all your gear all the time.

Go to the stores and try every used amp you can find. If you like the clean on one or it only has a clean sound then get a kick-ass stompbox for dirt, call it a day and go make some good music.
                    J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                    mixer|producer|recordist
                    mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                    All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Originally posted by zero element
                      what are your guys opinion on ibanez amps because none of the shops around me have them so i can't try them out.do they give nice heavy rock/metal tone with cleans leads as well.

The other guitarist in my band has the Ibanez 100watt combo. All i can say is stay away. No matter how much time we spend with it, we can only get it to sound ok. The distortion channel can get metal tones but the cleans are pretty bad. Also the footswitch is the cheapest thing ive ever seen. For the money im sure you could do better.
                      Gibson Les Paul Studio [DD(b), PG(n)]

VHT Deliverance 60
                      Splawn 4x12

Xssive built Monroe Drive
                      Vox Time Machine Delay
                      Boss Noise Supressor

Comment

thanks a lot guys, really helpful

Comment

Working...
                        X